Wycliffe and the Last Rites by W. J. Burley

Wycliffe and the Last Rites (1992)

by W. J. Burley

When a woman is found murdered and arranged in a grotesque posture in a church, Chief Superintendent Wycliffe is brought in to investigate. As he gets to know the people of the village, he begins to suspect that there is far more to the crime than meets the eye, and that there are more criminals living around there too…. Another in this long running series, published in 1992. I still like Wycliffe and his team, but I must say that I’m getting very tired of the casual sexism - 30+ women being referred to as “girls,” and the like; this is supposed to be contemporary, not historical fiction! On the other hand, just this week (close to Christmas) I received a card from one of my Cornish cousins, 60+ years old, that was addressed to “Mr. and Mrs. CN,” those being my husband’s initials, even though I have never gone by my husband’s name (that is, oddly enough, illegal in Quebec), so quite possibly the whole concept of feminism and equality hasn’t yet made it to remote Cornwall…. ( )
  thefirstalicat | Dec 22, 2016 |
He came in from the Bathroom, still naked, and reached for his briefs.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 075284931X, Paperback)

A bizarre murder shakes the Cornish village of Moresk. Arriving at church on Easter morning, the vicar discovers the body of a woman sprawled across the chancel steps. Has the church been desecrated by a Satanist ritual? Chief Superintendent Wycliffe sees the crime more as an expression of hatred directed at others in the community, besides the dead woman. His investigation, however, is frustrated at every turn, and when another horrific murder is committed, Wycliffe thinks he knows who the killer is. But can he prove it?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:18:38 -0400)

A bizarre murder shakes the Cornish village of Moresk. The vicar discovers a dead woman sprawled on the chancel steps and keys on the organ are wedged down. Superintendent Wycliffe's investigation is frustrated at every turn, then another murder happens.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,539,925 books! | Top bar: Always visible