Encyclopedia of the Harlem Renaissance by…

Encyclopedia of the Harlem Renaissance (2003)

by Aberjhani

203515,329 (4)4

History by itself is not my biggest turn on when it comes to reading but I like biographies. I especially like the ones about people who survive all kinds of personal and social injustice and then make it big anyway. That’s why this is one of my favorite books, for the stories it tells about people who had everything going against them, mostly just because of the color of their skin, but managed to shine anyway… even if some of them did have to die first. Langston Hughes, Gwendolyn Brooks, W.E.B. Du Bois, Duke Ellington, Louis Armstrong, and hundreds more from the Harlem Renaissance and Jazz Age are not just profiled in the book… they live in these pages.

The first time I checked this book out was when a group of us open mic poets decided to put on a tribute to the Harlem Renaissance. We couldn’t do it without learning more about the people and the times. The encyclopedia gave us more than we bargained for. It brought to life the writers, the musicians, the lovers, the poets, the artists, the leaders, really everything and everybody. The way they lived from the heart and turned their struggles into straight-up winning situations is a major example of pure excellence in living.

M/S25
  ChocBot300 | Feb 5, 2011 |
&srhttp://www.amazon.com/Encyclopedia-Renaissance-Library-American-History/dp/0816045402/ref=sr_1_1/103-6490892-5548649?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1173931086=1-1 ( )
  Aberjhani | Mar 15, 2007 |
Can't believe I'm the first to review this... Here's why I loved THIS book. The writing is superb. The passages are about 1-4 pages each, and they confront the reader with the snap, crackle and pop of concise, crisp journalistic prose. The authors have a knack for deepening knowledge while causing the reader to want to know even more about the topic...

5 Stars. Students so grateful to have this.

The Harlem Renaissance Lives! EXCELLENT resource for anyone studying the Harlem Renaissance! There are so many great stories, facts, and photos...

"...provides a wealth of information...The entries are clear, concise, and alphabetized, thereby making this reference source easy to use. Additionally, this is a thorough and rigorously comprehensive work...surprising and refreshing details...[a] useful text...This book is an enjoyable read."
American Reference Books Annual

Up from the pain of damning chains
We lift our hearts as family
To forge the future sure and free.
Look upon us all you souls
And see that we are redeemed
Who labored under under unrewarding skies
Tilling unfulfilling soil;
Yet will our quest forever be
Sweet liberty.
--by Ja A. Jahannes, "Black Voices Rising"
I dedicate this book in honor of the memory of the men and women whose brave and troubled lives gave meaning and substance to every page that follows. And to the people of New York City, whose great and modern adventure continues to inspire the world with their creative visions of culture, history, and human possibility."-- Aberjhani
Our interest in the flourishing of black artistic talent, racial chauvinism, and group expressiveness known as the Harlem Renaissance is both durable and understandable.
The leaders and followers of the Harlem Renaissance were every bit as intent on using Black culture to help make the United States a more functional democracy as they were on employing Black culture to 'vindicate' Black people.
― Aberjhani
Notwithstanding the memories of slavery, and in the face poverty, ignorance, terrorism, and subjugation still deeply woven into their lives, the embittered past of blacks was taken onto a much higher plane of intellectual and artistic consideration during the Renaissance.
― Clement Alexander Price
First comprehensive encyclopedia on the Harlem Renaissance covering all aspects of the famous movement which took place at the same time as America's Jazz Age.

Contains approximately 370 alphabetically arranged entries covering the emergence of new ideas in literature, political thought, civil rights, racial pride, and the arts during New York City's Harlem Renaissance in the 1920s and 1930s.

Aberjhani is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,458,220 books! | Top bar: Always visible