Tumbling Blocks by Earlene Fowler

English (7)  Piratical (1)  All (8)
In reading this book, I found myself thinking "oh yeah, somebody did get killed, didn't they?"- which is not a really bad thing. Yes, the mystery is there, but on an almost secondary storyline. This story is set at Christmastime, so emotions/stresses are hightened. Fowler shows us the tangled, complex interpersonal family relationships which I found myself more interested in rather than the murder. She's very good at it. In fact, both ended up being satisfying, though as you can probably tell, I really enbraced the dense (and sometimes painful) familial bonds, which are lacking in many mysteries. ( )
  lollyletsgo | Aug 10, 2017 |
I enjoy the fact that he mystery takes place through everyday life, but man did I want to slap Gabe. Also, what was the purpose of Boo? I like how in the book, Benni says, "Though I hated admitting it, I was getting attached to [Boo]." How? when? You were rarely with the dog. Overall the mystery was decent but not sure about the payoff. ( )
  DCavin | Apr 12, 2016 |
Bennie Harper has no intention of seriously investigating the death Constance Sinclair's best friend. She's too tied up in a new exhibition of 'outsider art,' scheduled to open soon at the folk museum where she is the curator. Unfortunately, her husband, the Police Chief, wants Bennie to keep Constance out of his hair and she shouldn't offend Constance, one of the museum's benefactors. Isn't this a useless waste of time? ... of course it isn't, and fans of this series will enjoy the twists and ...more Bennie Harper has no intention of seriously investigating the death Constance Sinclair's best friend. She's too tied up in a new exhibition of 'outsider art,' scheduled to open soon at the folk museum where she is the curator. Unfortunately, her husband, the Police Chief, wants Bennie to keep Constance out of his hair and she shouldn't offend Constance, one of the museum's benefactors. Isn't this a useless waste of time? ... of course it isn't, and fans of this series will enjoy the twists and turns. ( )
  libmaven | Oct 26, 2010 |
the story wasn't great but it was good-natured and the reader, johanna parker was excellent. ( )
  mahallett | Apr 17, 2010 |
Gabe's mother comes to San Celinas for the Christmas holiday, bringing some heavy surprises that throw her son off kilter in more ways than one. And Kathryn's visit just adds to the stress Benni is already under, trying to prepare the museum for the unveiling of a stunning piece of "outsider art" and coping with a highly excitable and eccentric boss who is convinced that her best friend didn't just die in her sleep as the medical examiner said, but was murdered for her spot in one of San Celinas' most exclusive women's clubs. Benni has to entertain her in-laws, be in charge of a huge "opening night" at the museum, soothe her pregnant best friend's rattled nerves, and dog sit an untrained puppy, all while pretending to investigate a natural death as if it were a murder. Merry Christmas to you, too, Benni Harper.

Another comfortable visit with Benni and Gabe, where the backstory takes center stage over the downplayed mystery. In fact, it felt to me like the little bit of plot in the mystery part of this story seemed to get in the way of the real story here, which was digging into the fractured dynamic between Gabe and his mother. Fowler is slowing down on publishing these books and I do hope she hasn't reached the end of her inspiration for the story of Benni and Gabe. There's a lot more to tell, and I'll be looking forward to the next volume. ( )
  madamejeanie | Sep 9, 2009 |
Even to your old age and gray hairs I am He, I am He who will sustain you.  I have made you and I will carry you;  I will sustain you and I will you.
--Isaiah 46:4
For
Ruth "Babs" Gibson
and
Barbara Peters
with my love and gratitude
Prologue:  Dear Alice,
It's hard to believe, but it's that time of year again and as I promised thirty-two years ago, I'm writing to let you know how Benni is doing.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0425221237, Mass Market Paperback)

With Christmas just a few weeks away, Benni’s boss, Constance Sinclair, demands that she investigate the death of a local socialite. It’s not long before Benni recognizes that there may be some deadly truth to Constance’s suspicions. She’ll need to crack an exclusive circle of suspects, before one more gourmet goose gets cooked.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:24:48 -0400)

When her boss, Constance Sinclair, insists that she investigate the death of a local socialite, Benni Harper's search for a killer is threatened by plans to put her quilting museum on the map and a visit from her daunting mother-in-law and "surprise" new husband.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,452,485 books! | Top bar: Always visible