I'm Glad I'm Me, Poems about You by Jack…

I'm Glad I'm Me, Poems about You

by Jack Prelutsky

Other authors: Nancy Meyers (Illustrator)

I'd use this book in a kindergartner or first grade classroom as an icebreaker and have a read aloud. This would open the stage for individuality and I'd then have the students create a picture of their faces, using different materials and writing a sentence bout themselves. This would be a great way to make each stunt feel accepted on day one.
  kroby01 | Apr 18, 2017 |
This book would be read as an interactive read-aloud with my students. For a kindergarten classroom, I would use this book as a way to help introduce the students to one another. I would have the students pair up with another person, and find two to three things they have in common, and two to three things that are different. This will cause the students to socialize and get to know one another. For a first or second grade classroom, I would have the students focus on three characters shown in the illustrations of the book. We would then discuss as a class what we can see from their surroundings and actions that indicate their traits. The students could then bring in three items from their room that indicate some of their own traits and share them with the class. All students could participate in creating an artistic self-portrait of themselves in any grade.
  kkminime | Apr 18, 2017 |
Summary: A book about poems, the children in the poems refer themselves to animals, a girl "roars" like a lion.

Personal: This book is very cute and would be a great introduction to poetry for children to read.

Classroom: Have the children write a poem about themselves, why they are glad that they are themselves.
  courtneynorton | Apr 17, 2017 |
I would use this book with a kindergarten classroom to begin the year to set the classroom norm of individuality. I would use it as a read aloud with them to begin the conversation about how different we all are and we have different interests, but that doesn't mean we should ever be unkind to someone because of it. I would then have the students pair up with one another and find 2 things that they have in common and two things that they do not to show how we can accept differences. I would also use this book with a first grade classroom as a read aloud to look at the three characters that we see in the book, and what their traits are and how we know (by looking at the illustrations). This would allow the students to use the illustrations to interpret information that the author did not tell us with the text, but that the illustrator told us with the drawings.
  rstrohmeier | Apr 16, 2017 |
Im Glad Im Me: Poems About You is a book filled with many poems form real life cases, to fiction and humorous. The poems in the book are simple so they are easy to understand for children, but they carry a large meaning. There are many uses of figurative language throughout the book which just make it that much more interesting.

I enjoyed reading this book because I have always enjoyed reading poems. I think that they make reading fun while still carrying a good amount of learning opportunities throughout them.

In the classroom I would probable use this book as an icebreaker. There is also another great opportunity during one week where everyone is to focus on themselves. This would be an enjoyable book for children to either listen to, read themselves, or even do an activity over. I think including this book in my classroom would be a great hit.
  tori_dawn97 | Apr 6, 2017 |

Jack Prelutskyprimary authorall editionscalculated
Meyers, NancyIllustratorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

"Twenty-one poems that will entertain you, inspire you, and celebrate you for who you are!" -- p.[4] of cover.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,058,439 books! | Top bar: Always visible