Dead Letter by Jane Waterhouse

Dead Letter

by Jane Waterhouse

31None357,052 (3.25)None
1999/02/07 (1) 2002 (1) ARC (1) BC091612 (1) fiction (3) gave away (1) library (1) ltp (1) master (1) mystery (4) pfd8 (1) pgm (1) series (1) thriller (1) to-read (1) writers (1)

No reviews

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0399144366, Hardcover)

There's no record of Jane Waterhouse ever writing a romance novel, but she certainly knows enough about the subject to pull it off. In Dead Letter, true crime writer Garner Quinn tells us about the last time she saw the strange and possibly dangerous sculptor Dane Blackmoor a year ago: "If I closed my eyes and held my breath, I could still remember the slow, soft progression of his mouth along the underside of my jaw, upward to my ear, how he'd whispered his parting shots in a hoarse, raspy voice."

In fact, what makes Waterhouse's books about Quinn so much fun to read is that neither the author nor her main character seem to know when to quit. You'd think that after being subjected to so much terror and personal humiliation in Graven Images and Shadow Walk, Quinn would listen to all those people who constantly urge her to (1) rethink her dangerous line of work, wherein every new book proposal turns into a death-defying situation and (2) give up on Blackmoor, who dumped her in her first outing. But, no--Dead Letter begins with Garner desperately scanning the mail in her New Jersey coastal home for word from Blackmoor and finding instead the first of a series of nasty threats from an obsessed fan. Things get so dangerous that a top security expert named Reed Corbin is called in, and for a while it appears that this fascinating hunk will solve both of Quinn's problems. The wily Waterhouse, however, has other surprising and satisfying solutions up her well-knit sleeve. --Dick Adler

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:29 -0400)

Several threatening letters are sent to the woman writer, Garner Quinn, by a disgruntled fan. Quinn hires a security company, only to see its director blown to bits by another letter. At that, Quinn decides to find the killer on her own.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,013,000 books! | Top bar: Always visible