Là où vont nos pères by Shaun Tan

Là où vont nos pères (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Shaun Tan

Title:Là où vont nos pères
Authors:Shaun Tan (Author)
Info:Dargaud (2007), Album, 120 pages
Tags:bande dessinée, immigration, étranger

The Arrival by Shaun Tan (2006)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (teelgee)
    Codex Seraphinianus by Luigi Serafini (guyalice)
    guyalice: Cryptic, inventive works involving a fantastic world with its own language glyphs.

English (249)  French (5)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (260)
This graphic novel expanded the world of what I thought was possible to do through wordless narrative. Without a single English word, we get the story of an emigrant to a strange land. We see the family he left behind, the struggles and difficulties that he experiences in making his way in this new world, the people who have stories of their own who help the newcomer, and the joy of reunion when his family joins him at the end. All of this is done in a way that feels as strange to the reader as to the protagonist, and in this way we share his confusion, his disaffection, and his eventual triumph.

This is not about the immigrant experience in the United States per se. Instead, it is about the immigrant experience in general, the abstract notion of leaving one's home and ending up in a foreign land where nothing is "normal" anymore. It is told with beauty and pathos and in unforgettable images. ( )
  shabacus | Oct 18, 2015 |
There isn't even a single word in this entire graphic novel, and it still brought me to tears.
Simply amazing. ( )
  stelleappese | Oct 7, 2015 |
Just so relevant at the current moment. This book is timeless in terms of content & artistry. Very strongly recommend for several reasons. ( )
  iNanner | Oct 4, 2015 |
All I can say is, WOW. I'm stunned. I could spend hours and hours re"reading" this book and examining the illustrations, but nothing beats the confusion I experienced along with the wonder & pleasure, and then finally getting it. ( )
  engpunk77 | Aug 10, 2015 |
I'm sure far, far more intelligent and insightful things have been said about this book than that it is about the immigrant experience, but it does seem to convey that experience in a universal way.

It is the story of a man who leaves his wife and child and moves to a strange new place, taking only a few precious familiar things with him. He makes the journey and begins to learn about the new land, often with the help of kind strangers; he finds lodging and work, though many things are still confusing (including the writing - probably the whole language - and the flora and fauna). He writes home to his family, and eventually they come to join him.

The illustrations are in soft sepia and charcoal, somewhat reminiscent of Chris Van Allsburg. ( )
  JennyArch | Aug 3, 2015 |
Teos on todellakin yhtä kaunis ja yhtä upeaa kuvakerrontaa kuin muistinkin. Sanoja ei tarvita, eikä niillä ole tässä tarinassakaan mitään sijaa. The Arrival kertoo aivan uskomattoman kouriintuntuvasti maahanmuutosta ja vieraan kulttuurin piirissä elämään oppimisesta.
"...Auf beeindruckende Weise gelingt es ihm, literarische Techniken wie Vor- und Rückblenden, Zeitdehnung und Zeitraffung sowie innere Monologe visuell umzusetzen. Wie seine Hauptfigur im neuen Land wird auch der Betrachter des Buches „gezwungen“, neu sehen zu lernen."
For my parents

A fabulous introduction to graphic novels for younger readers. The Arrival wordless spins the universal tale of a man leaving his country to build a better life in an unfamiliar, and sometimes confusing and scary, land.

A truly remarkable work of art that is already one of the most talked-about book of the season.

"A shockingly imaginative graphic novel that captures the sense of adventure and wonder that surrounds a new arrival on the shores of a shining new city. Wordless, but with perfect narrative flow, Tan gives us a story filled with cityscapes worthy of Winsor McCay." -- Jeff Smith, author of Bone
"A magical river of strangers and their stories!" -- Craig Thompson, author of Blankets
"Magnificent." -- David Small, Caldecott Medalist

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:23 -0400)

In this wordless graphic novel, a man leaves his homeland and sets off for a new country, where he must build a new life for himself and his family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,862,248 books! | Top bar: Always visible