Là où vont nos pères by Shaun Tan

Là où vont nos pères (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Shaun Tan

Member:folivier
Title:Là où vont nos pères
Authors:Shaun Tan (Author)
Info:Dargaud (2007), Album, 120 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:bande dessinée, immigration, étranger

The Arrival by Shaun Tan (2006)

Recently added byAmante, Mattiauk, bufsemlibrary, zhbond, zhsoholt, private library, kristofor, Raven, ytellmey, alo1224
    The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (teelgee)
    Codex Seraphinianus by Luigi Serafini (guyalice)
    guyalice: Cryptic, inventive works involving a fantastic world with its own language glyphs.

English (260)  French (5)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Spanish (1)  German (1)  All languages (273)
If I could give this book more than five stars I would. The graphics are incredible, the story is so compelling--as well as the backstories of the several people the man meets. The world is amazing and I absolutely love all the animals and the fact that they're such an integral and accepted part of the society. I think it shows the frustration of not understanding anything about a new society very well. The world and language is amazing, and the detail is just so lovingly drawn. This is just a wonderful book. Very highly recommended ( )
  waclements7 | Jul 10, 2016 |

Originally posted here

A stunning book featuring beautiful sepia artwork invoking the feeling of looking at nineteenth century photographs. The story unfolds without words as a man leaves his family and homeland in order to immigrate to a safer new land. The ultimate message conveyed about the experience of immigration is powerful BUT it didn't emotionally hook me and I was ultimately underwhelmed.

The lack of words was the main problem for me and whilst I understand why there was no words, it didn't necessarily work for me. As the man slowly gets to grip with this new land and understands how it works, I felt like I was left behind as often I genuinely didn't have a clue what the heck was going on. Why did he leave his family behind? What are all these fantastical things? What is going on in his homeland? Just what the dickens is going on?! The artwork is beyond gorgeous but the pretty pictures sadly are not enough for me to fully enjoy this book.

Lots of readers have adored and raved about this book and I think it would be perfect for those that love the idea of interpreting creative meanings from this story for themselves. Sadly I was just left puzzled and emotionally distant. ( )
  4everfanatical | Jun 26, 2016 |
Rec'd several times, most recently in the Picture-Book club! Isn't adult, though? (Where would I look in the library?)
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 5, 2016 |
A skillfully drawn and hauntingly beautiful psychological picture story. This book shares qualities of past illustrators with a flair for modern storytelling. If Heironymus Bosch were alive today...
  Davis22 | Jun 1, 2016 |
After seeing this mentioned on LT a couple of times I found it at my local library. It's a very good story about the immigrant experience that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. The wonderful artwork depicts a strange and also wonderful city of immigrants, each one helping those who come after them.
  hailelib | Apr 13, 2016 |
Teos on todellakin yhtä kaunis ja yhtä upeaa kuvakerrontaa kuin muistinkin. Sanoja ei tarvita, eikä niillä ole tässä tarinassakaan mitään sijaa. The Arrival kertoo aivan uskomattoman kouriintuntuvasti maahanmuutosta ja vieraan kulttuurin piirissä elämään oppimisesta.

Jurybegründung
"...Auf beeindruckende Weise gelingt es ihm, literarische Techniken wie Vor- und Rückblenden, Zeitdehnung und Zeitraffung sowie innere Monologe visuell umzusetzen. Wie seine Hauptfigur im neuen Land wird auch der Betrachter des Buches „gezwungen“, neu sehen zu lernen."

For my parents

A fabulous introduction to graphic novels for younger readers. The Arrival wordless spins the universal tale of a man leaving his country to build a better life in an unfamiliar, and sometimes confusing and scary, land.

A truly remarkable work of art that is already one of the most talked-about book of the season.

"A shockingly imaginative graphic novel that captures the sense of adventure and wonder that surrounds a new arrival on the shores of a shining new city. Wordless, but with perfect narrative flow, Tan gives us a story filled with cityscapes worthy of Winsor McCay." -- Jeff Smith, author of Bone
"A magical river of strangers and their stories!" -- Craig Thompson, author of Blankets
"Magnificent." -- David Small, Caldecott Medalist

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:23 -0400)

In this wordless graphic novel, a man leaves his homeland and sets off for a new country, where he must build a new life for himself and his family.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,259,060 books! | Top bar: Always visible