Là où vont nos pères by Shaun Tan

Là où vont nos pères (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Shaun Tan

Member:folivier
Title:Là où vont nos pères
Authors:Shaun Tan (Author)
Info:Dargaud (2007), Album, 120 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:bande dessinée, immigration, étranger

The Arrival by Shaun Tan (2006)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (teelgee)
    Codex Seraphinianus by Luigi Serafini (guyalice)
    guyalice: Cryptic, inventive works involving a fantastic world with its own language glyphs.

English (257)  French (5)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Danish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  German (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (269)
After seeing this mentioned on LT a couple of times I found it at my local library. It's a very good story about the immigrant experience that can be enjoyed by children and adults alike. The wonderful artwork depicts a strange and also wonderful city of immigrants, each one helping those who come after them.
  hailelib | Apr 13, 2016 |
Shaun Tan applies his fantasy illustration style to a story that resonates with the real world challenges faced by immigrants. While actual immigrants and refugees are not running from shadowy dragons or vengeful giants, the problems of war, slavery, and persecution are still with us. In creating a world that so alien from our own, Tan also creates a world in which we can sympathize with every character. ( )
  Katya0133 | Apr 7, 2016 |
I have been wanting to read this precious novel for some years now since I first spotted at a Book Store. I knew already illustrations were fantastic in rendering volumen, light, atmosphere and composition but was even more impressed that author used an allegorical world to talk about emigration/immigration . The way the illustrations progress on from panel to panel and use of camera movements to zoom in and out talk about its cinematic qualities. It reminds my of Brian Selznick's books, specially The Marvels. But there is not a single word in here, all conveyed thru images. The flash backs of some of the characters to narrate their personal stories were wonderful as the trip from the main character to his fantasy destination world. How different could it be for an immigrant to adapt to a new country, culture and language? Voila, here you have a visual representation on how that experience could be, pushed to the extreme of world very different of our own but not so much one cannot survive or thrive, as the last panels of this story wonderfully state.
  Jlporrata75 | Mar 12, 2016 |
I'm not sure why this is marked as a young adult book at my library, but it is fantastic.
1 vote mirikayla | Feb 8, 2016 |
Tan's created world is so strange and alien that as readers, we too are experiencing the immigrant experience, forced to figure out how this new world works as he seeks housing, a job and tries new foods. (Alien-like animals are constant companions to the humans; flying ships serve as commuter transit; mailboxes fly off with deposited letters.) At story’s end he receives news that his wife and daughter are arriving; eventually his daughter helps a new immigrant figure out a location on a map.A timely piece given the current debate on immigration. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 2, 2016 |
Teos on todellakin yhtä kaunis ja yhtä upeaa kuvakerrontaa kuin muistinkin. Sanoja ei tarvita, eikä niillä ole tässä tarinassakaan mitään sijaa. The Arrival kertoo aivan uskomattoman kouriintuntuvasti maahanmuutosta ja vieraan kulttuurin piirissä elämään oppimisesta.

Jurybegründung
"...Auf beeindruckende Weise gelingt es ihm, literarische Techniken wie Vor- und Rückblenden, Zeitdehnung und Zeitraffung sowie innere Monologe visuell umzusetzen. Wie seine Hauptfigur im neuen Land wird auch der Betrachter des Buches „gezwungen“, neu sehen zu lernen."

For my parents

A fabulous introduction to graphic novels for younger readers. The Arrival wordless spins the universal tale of a man leaving his country to build a better life in an unfamiliar, and sometimes confusing and scary, land.

A truly remarkable work of art that is already one of the most talked-about book of the season.

"A shockingly imaginative graphic novel that captures the sense of adventure and wonder that surrounds a new arrival on the shores of a shining new city. Wordless, but with perfect narrative flow, Tan gives us a story filled with cityscapes worthy of Winsor McCay." -- Jeff Smith, author of Bone
"A magical river of strangers and their stories!" -- Craig Thompson, author of Blankets
"Magnificent." -- David Small, Caldecott Medalist

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:25:23 -0400)

In this wordless graphic novel, a man leaves his homeland and sets off for a new country, where he must build a new life for himself and his family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 105,914,740 books! | Top bar: Always visible