Là où vont nos pères by Shaun Tan

Là où vont nos pères (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Shaun Tan (Author)

2,2082312,940 (4.48)271
Member:folivier
Title:Là où vont nos pères
Authors:Shaun Tan (Author)
Info:Dargaud (2007), Album, 120 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:bande dessinée, immigration, étranger

The Arrival by Shaun Tan (2006)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (teelgee)
    Codex Seraphinianus by Luigi Serafini (guyalice)
    guyalice: Cryptic, inventive works involving a fantastic world with its own language glyphs.

English (218)  French (5)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (229)
  BRCSBooks | Aug 15, 2014 |
Awesome picture book with astonishing illustrations! The book is formatted similarly to travel documents and photo albums, and I love the various stories told by the pictures. The Arrival could be a great resource while teaching immigration - it expresses the emotions, fears, and unknowns that come along with traveling to a new world and depending on that same world in order to survive and provide for loved ones. ( )
  jcarroll12 | Jul 27, 2014 |
A beautiful story told without words, this is about a man traveling to a foreign city where life is very different than back home. Shaun Tan's impressive images allow the reader to feel as though he/she is immigrating to this new world as well. ( )
  lbblackwell | Jul 26, 2014 |
By far the most challenging book I've "read" in quite a while. My brain scrambled to make meaning of a book set just enough in the "real world" to make me think I could construe meaning. Just when I though I had a handle, some detail would emerge, some contextual clue would be lost, and I would have to grapple with a somewhat illusory plot. As I realized that Tan created this chaos for the purpose of allowing me to be the immigrant arriving on foreign soil.

I want to use this book because kids will benefit from the meaning making process, and hopefully I can engender compassion in kids as they feel the disjointed confusion of not belonging. Maturity is needed to fully grasp the complexity in this amazing text. ( )
  Desirichter | Jul 3, 2014 |
This graphic novel is beautiful and warrants at least two reads. Told completely without words, it is the universal story of immigration to a strange new land in search of a better life. Whimsical, at times terrifying or tragic, and immensely creative, I recommend this work of art to anyone willing to set aside preconceived notions of what the graphic novel can do to touch our deepest emotional selves. ( )
1 vote EBT1002 | Jun 15, 2014 |
Teos on todellakin yhtä kaunis ja yhtä upeaa kuvakerrontaa kuin muistinkin. Sanoja ei tarvita, eikä niillä ole tässä tarinassakaan mitään sijaa. The Arrival kertoo aivan uskomattoman kouriintuntuvasti maahanmuutosta ja vieraan kulttuurin piirissä elämään oppimisesta.

Jurybegründung
"...Auf beeindruckende Weise gelingt es ihm, literarische Techniken wie Vor- und Rückblenden, Zeitdehnung und Zeitraffung sowie innere Monologe visuell umzusetzen. Wie seine Hauptfigur im neuen Land wird auch der Betrachter des Buches „gezwungen“, neu sehen zu lernen."

A fabulous introduction to graphic novels for younger readers. The Arrival wordless spins the universal tale of a man leaving his country to build a better life in an unfamiliar, and sometimes confusing and scary, land.

A truly remarkable work of art that is already one of the most talked-about book of the season.

"A shockingly imaginative graphic novel that captures the sense of adventure and wonder that surrounds a new arrival on the shores of a shining new city. Wordless, but with perfect narrative flow, Tan gives us a story filled with cityscapes worthy of Winsor McCay." -- Jeff Smith, author of Bone
"A magical river of strangers and their stories!" -- Craig Thompson, author of Blankets
"Magnificent." -- David Small, Caldecott Medalist

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:29 -0400)

In this wordless graphic novel, a man leaves his homeland and sets off for a new country, where he must build a new life for himself and his family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,286,704 books! | Top bar: Always visible