Là où vont nos pères by Shaun Tan

Là où vont nos pères (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Shaun Tan (Author)

Member:folivier
Title:Là où vont nos pères
Authors:Shaun Tan (Author)
Info:Dargaud (2007), Album, 120 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:bande dessinée, immigration, étranger

The Arrival by Shaun Tan (2006)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (teelgee)
    Codex Seraphinianus by Luigi Serafini (guyalice)
    guyalice: Cryptic, inventive works involving a fantastic world with its own language glyphs.

English (221)  French (5)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (232)
I can say with confidence that this is the single most beautifully illustrated book I have ever read. The drawings are stunning! The story is great too, which is all the more impressive considering it is told without a single word. The artist conveys the difficulties involved with immigrating to a new place in an unique yet totally honest way, and does it with art that is really unrivaled as far as I'm concerned. I've been enthusiastic about art in graphic novels before, but this stuff could really be hung on a wall, it's that good.

If you have any interest at all in the graphic format...or, more importantly, if you have no interest in it at all and have trouble getting into the format, then you should check this one out. Yes, that means EVERYBODY. You can read it in a day, it'll be fine. ( )
  Ape | Sep 5, 2014 |
I would happily read/peruse anything Shaun Tan illustrates. His artwork is exceptional. His illustrations are detailed and have depth. ( )
  lesmel | Aug 27, 2014 |
I have never been into image books, but when I found this one on our local bookstore, I just HAD to buy it. The artwork is stupendous and the whole book is perfect to be used as a reference book. Not only that, I never cease to be amazed at books that manage to tell a touching story without the use of a single word. ( )
  aryadeschain | Aug 26, 2014 |
  BRCSBooks | Aug 15, 2014 |
Awesome picture book with astonishing illustrations! The book is formatted similarly to travel documents and photo albums, and I love the various stories told by the pictures. The Arrival could be a great resource while teaching immigration - it expresses the emotions, fears, and unknowns that come along with traveling to a new world and depending on that same world in order to survive and provide for loved ones. ( )
  jcarroll12 | Jul 27, 2014 |
Teos on todellakin yhtä kaunis ja yhtä upeaa kuvakerrontaa kuin muistinkin. Sanoja ei tarvita, eikä niillä ole tässä tarinassakaan mitään sijaa. The Arrival kertoo aivan uskomattoman kouriintuntuvasti maahanmuutosta ja vieraan kulttuurin piirissä elämään oppimisesta.

Jurybegründung
"...Auf beeindruckende Weise gelingt es ihm, literarische Techniken wie Vor- und Rückblenden, Zeitdehnung und Zeitraffung sowie innere Monologe visuell umzusetzen. Wie seine Hauptfigur im neuen Land wird auch der Betrachter des Buches „gezwungen“, neu sehen zu lernen."

A fabulous introduction to graphic novels for younger readers. The Arrival wordless spins the universal tale of a man leaving his country to build a better life in an unfamiliar, and sometimes confusing and scary, land.

A truly remarkable work of art that is already one of the most talked-about book of the season.

"A shockingly imaginative graphic novel that captures the sense of adventure and wonder that surrounds a new arrival on the shores of a shining new city. Wordless, but with perfect narrative flow, Tan gives us a story filled with cityscapes worthy of Winsor McCay." -- Jeff Smith, author of Bone
"A magical river of strangers and their stories!" -- Craig Thompson, author of Blankets
"Magnificent." -- David Small, Caldecott Medalist

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:29 -0400)

In this wordless graphic novel, a man leaves his homeland and sets off for a new country, where he must build a new life for himself and his family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,963,154 books! | Top bar: Always visible