Là où vont nos pères by Shaun Tan

Là où vont nos pères (original 2006; edition 2007)

by Shaun Tan

Member:folivier
Title:Là où vont nos pères
Authors:Shaun Tan (Author)
Info:Dargaud (2007), Album, 120 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:bande dessinée, immigration, étranger

The Arrival by Shaun Tan (2006)

The Invention of Hugo Cabret by Brian Selznick (teelgee)
    Codex Seraphinianus by Luigi Serafini (guyalice)
    guyalice: Cryptic, inventive works involving a fantastic world with its own language glyphs.

English (229)  French (5)  Dutch (2)  Swedish (1)  Portuguese (Portugal) (1)  Italian (1)  Danish (1)  All languages (240)
After randomly picking this up from a friend's coffee table I was instantly intrigued by the gorgeous artwork. Soon enough I found myself reading the entire thing and being surprised by how both funny and moving it was.

I've read several graphic novels before (Maus, Persepolis, American Born Chinese, etc) so I know such works can be powerful. However, what surprised me the most was how much I liked this work and how much of a story it told, all the while not using a single word.

In turns poignant and humorous, The Arrival tells the tale of the immigrant experience in a beautiful way that will appeal to those young and old. ( )
  luminescent_bookworm | Jan 27, 2015 |
Lovely, wistful, poignant, and magical. A wonderful story without words.

devafagan | Jan 2, 2015 |
Principled sentiment: evocation of humanism, without falling into saccharine emotion. Architecture, custom, letters all well-designed, suspect there is more than mere resemblance to alien landscapes but a self-consistent character.

Note at least 3 immigrant stories apart from that one around which the novel is arranged: each alludes to some form of oppression and violence, and each is coherent and evocative, yet flexible enough to cover a variety of typical stories. Is Tan here illustrating ideal types from the literature?

Initial reading for the narrative arc, subsequent readings as leisurely explorations of theme and world. ( )
  elenchus | Dec 26, 2014 |
Commovente e bellissimo. Una vicenda nota in un mondo fantastico; un gioiello grafico, educativo ed umano. Trasmette davvero un senso di speranza infinita. ( )
  bobparr | Dec 14, 2014 |
The Arrival (2007) is a fantastic take on the theme of immigration, and the perspective of immigrants to a new country. I loved how Tan depicted the protagonist's perspective of this strange new land by illustrating the residents as alien like creatures who could not empathize with him. I would definitely recommend this book to anyone wanting to do a unit on perspectives of immigration, and I know that I will use it for just such a unit if the opportunity presents itself (I currently teach pre-k). ( )
  kberryman44 | Dec 6, 2014 |
Teos on todellakin yhtä kaunis ja yhtä upeaa kuvakerrontaa kuin muistinkin. Sanoja ei tarvita, eikä niillä ole tässä tarinassakaan mitään sijaa. The Arrival kertoo aivan uskomattoman kouriintuntuvasti maahanmuutosta ja vieraan kulttuurin piirissä elämään oppimisesta.

Jurybegründung
"...Auf beeindruckende Weise gelingt es ihm, literarische Techniken wie Vor- und Rückblenden, Zeitdehnung und Zeitraffung sowie innere Monologe visuell umzusetzen. Wie seine Hauptfigur im neuen Land wird auch der Betrachter des Buches „gezwungen“, neu sehen zu lernen."

A fabulous introduction to graphic novels for younger readers. The Arrival wordless spins the universal tale of a man leaving his country to build a better life in an unfamiliar, and sometimes confusing and scary, land.

A truly remarkable work of art that is already one of the most talked-about book of the season.

"A shockingly imaginative graphic novel that captures the sense of adventure and wonder that surrounds a new arrival on the shores of a shining new city. Wordless, but with perfect narrative flow, Tan gives us a story filled with cityscapes worthy of Winsor McCay." -- Jeff Smith, author of Bone
"A magical river of strangers and their stories!" -- Craig Thompson, author of Blankets
"Magnificent." -- David Small, Caldecott Medalist

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:05:29 -0400)

In this wordless graphic novel, a man leaves his homeland and sets off for a new country, where he must build a new life for himself and his family.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,150,047 books! | Top bar: Always visible