The Hating Game: A Novel by Sally Thorne

The Hating Game: A Novel (edition 2016)

by Sally Thorne (Author)

For Lucy Hutton and Joshua Templeman, executive assistants to the CEOs of newly merged Bexley-Gamin Publishing, it's hate-at-first-sight. So begins a series of daily passive-aggressive maneuvers, including the staring game, the mirror game, and the HR game, each played with the intensity of the Hunger Games. Their mutual antipathy grows when a new executive position opens at Bexley-Gamin, and both their bosses put their names up for the promotion. Then, the high-stakes games begin! After another 60-hour work week, Lucy logs off her computer and hops on the elevator to head home, as does Joshua. When Joshua hits the emergency button and stops the ride, Lucy is certain her nemesis is going to kill her. Instead, he plants a kiss on her, and Lucy begins to wonder if she really does hate Joshua after all, or if this is yet another game. --… (more)
Member:melisawong
Title:The Hating Game: A Novel
Authors:Sally Thorne (Author)
Info:William Morrow Paperbacks (2016), 384 pages
Collections:Done :), Your library
Rating:*****

The Hating Game by Sally Thorne

Recently added byprivate library, djdavis, doyoudogear, mrsqueen, Teatime.with.a.book, rena75, MariaRaymund
    Mister Romance by Leisa Rayven (fueledbycoffee)
    fueledbycoffee: Dislike or hate at first sight, funny, swoony, and good writing
    Small Admissions by Amy Poeppel (carriehh)

“I want to know what’s going on in your brain. I want to juice your head like a lemon.”

I didn't love The Hating Game. Lucy and Joshua really frustrated me as characters, and I didn't understand their reasons for the games they played. If you hate a coworker with every fiber of your being, it makes more sense to remain professional and pretend they don't exist.

It was clear that their games were thinly veiled flirtations, but neither of them admitted their feelings, and the progression of their relationship was painful. It also didn't feel realistic to me. Lucy had the potential to be a quirky-cute character, but a lot of her actions and conversations were childish.

I didn't mind listening to this in the background, but I wasn't too worried if I missed something. I'm sorry if you recommended this to me! I know it's disappointing when a friend doesn't like a book as much as you did.

Originally posted at Do You Dog-ear? on January 20th 2018
  doyoudogear | Oct 11, 2019 |
3 stars (maybe and a half).

I liked it but didn't love it. I laughed and appreciated the witty banter bewteen Lucy and Joshua, the way they interact and the story is presented. However, I was disappointed by the end. It felt like it all went really really fast and even if I know it was a slow burn (at least on Lucy's part, since we only have her point of view) I still thought the ending was rushed.
But the plot is great, the continuous games between them though silly also kind of hilarious, and it was really pleasant to read! ( )
  AnaelleG | Jul 28, 2019 |
The Hating Game

I Picked Up This Book Because: Following the hype again.

The Characters:

Lucy “Shortcake” Hutton:
Joshua “Josh” Templeman:

The Story:

Working this closely with the “enemy” is no easy feat. Lucy and Josh end up side by side and seething with spite after the merger of their two publishing companies into one. This was a really cute enemies to lovers story. I could feel the chemistry between “Lucinda” and Josh long before they were ready to give into it. Unfortunately the story dragged a bit for me and I found my attention could be easily diverted. Overall I enjoyed it. I loved the back and forth between the characters and the fire stoked in Lucy especially when she was being protective of Josh.

The Random Thoughts:

3.5 Stars ( )
  bookjunkie57 | Jul 26, 2019 |
I'm never usually the biggest fan of books like this but i'm bowled over by how much i enjoyed this one!
Well written, with great characters and funny, adorable banter, whats not to like? ( )
  SaraChook | Jun 19, 2019 |
For a romance novel, it's excellent. For a regular book, it's pretty meh. ( )
  miri12 | May 31, 2019 |
In loving memory of Ivy Stone
I have a theory.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Sally Thorne's book The Hating Game was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 138,754,528 books! | Top bar: Always visible