The Monstrous Child by Francesca Simon

The Monstrous Child

by Francesca Simon

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I didn't realize this book was part of a series, but this can be read as a standalone. I liked this book. The story is told in the first person and is narrated by Hel, a spunky goddess who, unwillingly, becomes queen of the Underworld. Hel could definitely be annoying at times, but I ended up feeling sorry for her because of what she had to endure throughout the story. It was interesting to read about this mythological world and Hel's crazy journey. I enjoyed Francesca Simon's writing and I thought this was a fast, engrossing read. ( )
  TaraCucc | Jul 20, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
An interesting change from the norm- an at-times disturbing book which really makes you think. Don't need to read the other books in the series to understand this one. ( )
  onemused | Jun 6, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Enter the gates of Hel at your own risk. While I am a fan of myths and legends, I found myself disturbed by the book The Monstrous Child by Francesca Simon. Maybe it is the first person narrative, told from the perspective of the Norse Goddess Hel, neither hero nor villain of her own story but rather somewhere betwixt and between. Maybe it is this very betweenness that is unsettling. You don’t know if to feel sorry for Hel, to feel pity at her poor treatment and rotting life, to wish her a quick and merciful death, or to slap her for being so, so very mopey. And maybe it is the ending, the vague half breathed end of everything that brings more questions than answers and leaves poor Hel once again, finally and forever, alone. I admit the writing is at times witty, the idea for a first person narrative by young Hel is clever, and the whole story gives a new and interesting, if extra creepy, view of Norse mythology but reader beware this is a story that will leave you disturbed and ever so slightly queasy. ( )
  frogwindy | May 22, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I actually kind of liked this book. Well, most of the time. This was the kind of book that every twenty pages or so I changed my mind.

I agree with most of the issues people had with it, but somehow it still managed to be entertaining and original. Honestly, it was mostly because of my love of Norse mythology. If I wasn't familiar with it, I think I'd have been pretty lost.

The Monstrous Child is about Hel, the teenage daughter of Loki, sister to Fenrir and Jormungandr. Her family isn't exactly the tender loving type and that creates an angry, spiteful Hel. Odin banishes her to the underworld to rule there for all time. That's pretty much it. The rest is about Hel's time as queen of the underworld, her dreams of escape, and her obsession with Baldr. This isn't exactly a plot-driven book, but it was still quite entertaining.

It was easy to dislike Hel. She didn't have much going for her. She was whiny and incredibly adept at self-sabotage. Some part of her ached for kindness and affection yet she spent all of her time alienating everyone and enjoying it. This didn't really bother me, though. If you consider the results of Hel's upbringing in the same way you would if she were human, it would make sense that she turn out a bitter, angry, hateful, teenage girl bent on vengeance. So while it's easy to understand the reasons for her awfulness, she was still awful.

It was certainly a risk to make Hel's inner monologue so modern. It took me a long time to get used to it and even longer to move past how annoying it was. I suppose it was meant to make Hel easier for a younger audience to relate to, but instead, it came off as trying too hard. The only thing it was missing was “lol”. It just didn't work for me.

It was a fascinating and unique book, but overall, I don't think it was executed well enough to actually recommend.

*I received an ARC in exchange for a fair and honest review. ( )
  bgnbrooks | May 9, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I enjoyed this book. I don't read a lot of middle grade because sometimes books aimed at a young audience feels very juvenile, but this book felt like something anyone of any age could enjoy.

I really liked the narration. It was written in first person, but it was done really well in that it felt like the spunky young narroator was having a conversation with you. The use of mythology and descriptions of the setting were also very well done.

The only slightly negative thing I have to say about this book is that the plot wasn't very exciting. When you're dealing with gods and the underworld, you sort of expect big things to happen, but that wasn't the case here. I don't think this was too big of a problem because it was a fast read for me.

.... also after reading, I discovered this book is the third book in a series according to GoodReads.com. I didn't read the previous books, and didn't feel like I was missing out on anything. ( )
  upinthestacks | May 5, 2017 |

A stunning, operatic and epic drama like no other. Meet Hel, an ordinary teenager - and goddess of the Underworld. Why is life so unfair? But Hel tries to make the best of it, creating gleaming halls in her dark kingdom and welcoming the dead who she is forced to host for eternity. Until eternity itself is threatened. Francesca Simon's wonderful first foray into teen fiction.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 07 Jul 2016 20:20:58 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

Francesca Simon's book The Monstrous Child is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,175,448 books! | Top bar: Always visible