The Girl Before: A Novel by Jp Delaney

The Girl Before: A Novel (edition 2017)

by Jp Delaney (Author)

Member:scoutlee
Title:The Girl Before: A Novel
Authors:Jp Delaney (Author)
Info:Ballantine Books (2017), 352 pages
Rating:***
Tags:new release 2017, new author 2017, ebook 2017, psychological thriller, England, read 2017

The Girl Before by JP Delaney

To Read (229)

Before starting The Girl Before, I'd just finished Vera for the Virago Modern Classics group's April read of Elizabeth Von Arnim. Another reviewer compares The Girl Before to Fifty Shades of Grey, but I couldn't help seeing Edward Monkford's resemblance to Von Arnim's Everard Wemyss. I might have rated The Girl Before more highly if I weren't comparing it adversely to Von Arnim's superb novel. The Girl Before, though, is more along the lines of The Girl on the Train, a good psychological thriller that seems destined from its very origins to have been headed for Hollywood. ( )
  CurrerBell | May 2, 2017 |
A weird book about two women, a strange house, and their weird relationship with the rich architect ( )
  Bauernfeind | Apr 6, 2017 |
This book is intriguing right from the start. Mainly because of this curious house at One Folgate Street, which plays a big role in the story. I thought it took a huge imagination to conceptualize this house and found everything about it fascinating right to the end. I was rather reminded of the “Big Brother is Watching” concept. The house and to a great extent it’s occupants, were totally controlled by a computer program referred to as Housekeeper. Housekeeper knew everything about you but not in a creepy way, at least at first. Housekeeper made sure you followed the hundreds of rules that went along with the house.

The story follows two girls who lived in this house at different times; Emma in the past and Jane in the present. They have one thing in common, the architect and owner of the house, Edward. Edward is successful, controlling and dominating. Is he the dominant, sexually deviant, and erotic Christian Grey, as has been suggested? Not even close – you have to read 50 shades of Grey for that. But, the book is great just the same. I liked the characters and trying to figure out the mystery, which kept me guessing. And there are a few surprises; I love it when I get caught off guard. Ron Howard has bought up the film rights, so you may want to read this one before it hits the big screen – books are usually better than the movie. Recommend.

Review previously posted at: www.princetonbookreview.com

Find us on
Face book https://www.facebook.com/princetonbookreview/
Find us on Twitter https://twitter.com/PBR_BookReview
Find us on Pinterest https://www.pinterest.com/pbrbookreview/ ( )
  Princetonbookreview | Mar 27, 2017 |
This is a psychological thriller that held my interest throughout. It's about two women who rented the same house. Their views are told in alternating chapters. "Then" is about Emma who rented the house first, and "Now" is about Jane who rents it next and is it just a coincidence that the two women look so much alike? I felt the rental house was the real protagonist since nearly all of the novel centers around it. It was built and owned by a famous architect and is state-of-the-art with all the latest technological devices. The rental agreement has pages of restrictions which the women agree to and then find out how difficult it is to live with the restrictions.

Emma died mysteriously and Jane starts to investigate her death which puts Jane in great danger. The author does a nice job of moving the story along with just enough twists and turns to keep us wondering. I hope to read more by this author. ( )
  pegmcdaniel | Mar 15, 2017 |
One of the better "girl" books, decent suspense, and good use of alternating between POVs, though I'll admit, the revelation of who the girl before was caught me out. ( )
  bookczuk | Mar 12, 2017 |

In the tradition of The Girl on the Train, The Silent Wife, and Gone Girl comes an enthralling psychological thriller that spins one woman’s seemingly good fortune, and another woman’s mysterious fate, through a kaleidoscope of duplicity, death, and deception.

Please make a list of every possession you consider essential to your life.

The request seems odd, even intrusive—and for the two women who answer, the consequences are devastating.

EMMA
Reeling from a traumatic break-in, Emma wants a new place to live. But none of the apartments she sees are affordable or feel safe. Until One Folgate Street. The house is an architectural masterpiece: a minimalist design of pale stone, plate glass, and soaring ceilings. But there are rules. The enigmatic architect who designed the house retains full control: no books, no throw pillows, no photos or clutter or personal effects of any kind. The space is intended to transform its occupant—and it does.

JANE
After a personal tragedy, Jane needs a fresh start. When she finds One Folgate Street she is instantly drawn to the space—and to its aloof but seductive creator. Moving in, Jane soon learns about the untimely death of the home’s previous tenant, a woman similar to Jane in age and appearance. As Jane tries to untangle truth from lies, she unwittingly follows the same patterns, makes the same choices, crosses paths with the same people, and experiences the same terror, as the girl before.

(retrieved from Amazon Tue, 21 Jun 2016 16:04:38 -0400)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 114,430,108 books! | Top bar: Always visible