Too Busy Not To Pray by Bill Hybels

Too Busy Not To Pray (1994)

by Bill Hybels

This book had a profound effect on my praying because it strongly encouraged me to write my prayers, a practice I had dabbled with a little bit, but this set me on it for good.
  gcornett | Sep 22, 2017 |
Bill Hybels takes you through prayer - knowing God is listening, how to pray, what happens when your prayers aren't answered, quieting yourself and listening, and finally how prayer becomes action and having a heart for others.

While much of what Hybels says is practical, his style is conversational and in my head he's writing the prayer book equivalent of Rick Warren's A Purpose Driven Life - lots of exclamation points, some Scripture, but more emotionally than intellectually driven. It's useful, good information but I found myself comparing it to Timothy Keller's Prayer: Experiencing Awe and Intimacy with God, which I read last year and personally prefer. ( )
  bell7 | Apr 27, 2017 |
I don't like formulaic patterns for prayer. I need to be able to be creative. That being said, I seem to shy away from prayer completely rather than being formulaic. One line I liked: "What is MY immovable mountain? Could I have stood in its shadow for so long that I've actually grown accustomed to the darkness?" ( )
  mytruecompass | Aug 12, 2011 |
One good thing that can be said about books by Bill Hybels: he hits the nail on the head with how Christians are today. In Too Busy Not To Pray, he accurately points out the flaws that many Christians have today in their attitude and approach to prayer. For example, Hybels asks why do we pray "Lord, be with us today", when we know from Scripture he's always with us? He suggests we pray "Lord, make us aware of your presence today." This small thing has helped me focus on what I'm actually saying in prayers, helping me to eliminate the jargon and have a more authentic and focused time with God. If you are a busy person like most of us, you may not be taking the time to actually know God, to pray, to know His will, to confess specific sins, to praise Him. This book gives good solutions and reasons for making prayer a priority above everything else. Good book, good scripture references, fast read. I recommend to anyone serious about knowing the Living God. - SCF.
  OCMCCP | Oct 12, 2010 |
This book presents a blueprint for starting a spiritual epidemic of hope and enthusiasm for spreading the Gospel.
  NorthbrookUMC | Aug 5, 2010 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0830819711, Paperback)

Most of us have trouble finding time to pray. There's church and school and neighborhood and job and friends and recreation. And then the crises hit! Time for prayer seems an impossible luxury. As a pastor, Bill Hybels knows hundreds of people with schedules like this. Yet in his own life he has made the hard discovery that prayer doesn't happen on the run. He decided he was too busy not to pray. Hybels's accessible introduction to prayer has already helped over 400,000 readers develop a rich and regular prayer life in the midst of life's busyness. Now, in this revised and expanded 10th anniversary edition, he includes new insights from his years of ministry and his own spiritual journey. He shows how to slow down to pray, listen to God, respond to what we hear, practice the presence of God and overcome prayer barriers. His fun and practical book offers the resources we need for growing, ongoing experiences in prayer.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:07:18 -0400)

For the past twenty years, this title has been a classic. During those years the world hasn't slowed down. So Hybels has revised his time-tested ideas on slowing down to pray.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,642,862 books! | Top bar: Always visible