Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be…

Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God : Including Questions… (original 1994; edition 1998)

by Bill Hybels

1,20766,630 (3.91)4
Member:afmilacci
Title:Too Busy Not to Pray: Slowing Down to Be With God : Including Questions for Reflection and Discussion
Authors:Bill Hybels
Info:InterVarsity Press (1998), Edition: Revised, Paperback, 191 pages

Too Busy Not To Pray by Bill Hybels (1994)

I don't like formulaic patterns for prayer. I need to be able to be creative. That being said, I seem to shy away from prayer completely rather than being formulaic. One line I liked: "What is MY immovable mountain? Could I have stood in its shadow for so long that I've actually grown accustomed to the darkness?" ( )
  mytruecompass | Aug 12, 2011 |
One good thing that can be said about books by Bill Hybels: he hits the nail on the head with how Christians are today. In Too Busy Not To Pray, he accurately points out the flaws that many Christians have today in their attitude and approach to prayer. For example, Hybels asks why do we pray "Lord, be with us today", when we know from Scripture he's always with us? He suggests we pray "Lord, make us aware of your presence today." This small thing has helped me focus on what I'm actually saying in prayers, helping me to eliminate the jargon and have a more authentic and focused time with God. If you are a busy person like most of us, you may not be taking the time to actually know God, to pray, to know His will, to confess specific sins, to praise Him. This book gives good solutions and reasons for making prayer a priority above everything else. Good book, good scripture references, fast read. I recommend to anyone serious about knowing the Living God. - SCF.
  OCMCCP | Oct 12, 2010 |
This book presents a blueprint for starting a spiritual epidemic of hope and enthusiasm for spreading the Gospel.
  NorthbrookUMC | Aug 5, 2010 |
audio tapes - 2
  sjmonson | Feb 19, 2009 |
Lots of very practical advice, which was very helpful. ( )
  Amzzz | Sep 28, 2008 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0830819711, Paperback)

Most of us have trouble finding time to pray. There's church and school and neighborhood and job and friends and recreation. And then the crises hit! Time for prayer seems an impossible luxury. As a pastor, Bill Hybels knows hundreds of people with schedules like this. Yet in his own life he has made the hard discovery that prayer doesn't happen on the run. He decided he was too busy not to pray. Hybels's accessible introduction to prayer has already helped over 400,000 readers develop a rich and regular prayer life in the midst of life's busyness. Now, in this revised and expanded 10th anniversary edition, he includes new insights from his years of ministry and his own spiritual journey. He shows how to slow down to pray, listen to God, respond to what we hear, practice the presence of God and overcome prayer barriers. His fun and practical book offers the resources we need for growing, ongoing experiences in prayer.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:25:53 -0400)

For the past twenty years, this title has been a classic. During those years the world hasn't slowed down. So Hybels has revised his time-tested ideas on slowing down to pray.

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,961,943 books! | Top bar: Always visible