An Angel Just Like Me by Mary Hoffman

An Angel Just Like Me

by Mary Hoffman

An Angel Just like me is a trade book about Christmas. Tyler, the main character, notices that all Christmas angels are white, female, and blonde. He sets out on a journey to find an angel that looks like him, an African American. Tyler cannot find one, and almost gives up, when an angel that looks just like him is delivered on Christmas day. I give this book five stars because it is a great story of a person who does not feel that he is being represented, which is a problem many people face. I think that is the deeper meaning of this story, beyond the obvious race implications. The obvious point the story is trying to make is that Christmas is revolved around white people, from Santa, to the angels. Black people need to be represented more in Christmas stories. This story also reaches out to all of the people who have ever been in a minority group, and feel underrepresented. This book could be used in a classroom to start discussions about how Christmas is represented in television, movies, decorations, and toys. This could be a real eye opener to some kids who have never noticed how white Christmas is. The illustrations in this story are very intricate. They show the journey to find the angel in a very beautiful way. ( )
  Tkahoun | Sep 28, 2015 |
"An angel just like me" and " Amazing Grace" are from the same author. Both of them are kind of multicultural books. This book is about a boy who wants to find an angel like him during the Christmas. At last, he got an angel like him and I think it's a special Christmas gift and it's meaningful. Maybe I will use the book when the Christmas is approaching to ask what Christmas gifts they want to have.
Age:6-10
  ying-sun | Oct 24, 2013 |
This story is about a boy who is in search of an angel that looks just like him to put on top of his family’s Christmas tree. I would read this book around Christmas time and then we would all make our own ornaments that look just like us to bring home. ( )
  atlomas | Jan 30, 2012 |

An original Christmas story from the award-winning author of Amazing Grace. Tyler's family needs a new Christmas tree angel, but the only angels Tyler can find have blond hair. Searching for a new angel for his family's tree--one that looks like him-- has become his special project. But it's not until Christmas day that Tyler discovers that angels, like people, come in all different colors. Full color.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:14:10 -0400)

An African-American child wonders why all Christmas tree angels look alike and sets out to find an angel that looks just like him.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 117,119,140 books! | Top bar: Always visible