Singing for Mrs. Pettigrew: Stories and…

Singing for Mrs. Pettigrew: Stories and Essays from a Writing Life

by Michael Morpurgo

Singing for Mrs Pettigrew is a collection of short stories with short essays by the author between them. I enjoyed it immensely as a collection of short stories. Morpurgo is obviously a gifted story-teller and he really puts a big emotional impact into very few words. I picked this up though above his others for the inclusion of the essays and I have to say I was disappointed. I felt they were often rambling and not deeply related to the stories I was reading. The worst offender being an essay that started as being about islands and ended up with a long-winded call for the reader to go read treasure island. I was maybe hoping for something a little more concrete about Morpurgo's methods. This story grew out of this and then went through this and here's the finished article as opposed to "Read lots, be connected to the land and knowing other authors probably helps" which is how I feel the essays in this book could be summarized. ( )
  TPauSilver | Jun 22, 2014 |
delightful book. Great insights into this author's life and writing. He is a great author. ( )
  njcur | Feb 13, 2014 |
Alternating texts -- one autobiographical, one fictional but related -- from Michael Morpurgo, who reflects on the events and people that have made him a writer. ( )
  katie | Apr 7, 2013 |
Not my favorite Morpurgo book but insightful and enjoyable. ( )
  Sullywriter | Apr 3, 2013 |
A lovely collection of short stories and really useful for any budding author to study their craft. ( )
  susanpenter | Apr 24, 2009 |

This collection by the 2003-2005 Children's Laureate, Michael Morpurgo, contains short stories, essays and commentaries to illuminate the craft of storytelling. Analyzing all aspects of writing - character, plot, sources and inspiration, retelling and biography - it is perfect for anyone, young or old, who loves great stories and wants to know more about the art of telling tales.

This title contains short stories, essays and commentaries to illuminate the craft of storytelling. Analyzing various aspects of writing - character, plot, sources and inspiration, retelling and biography - this collection is suitable for those who love great stories and want to know more about the art of telling tales. Originally published: 2006.… (more)

Candlewick Press

An edition of this book was published by Candlewick Press.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,486,242 books! | Top bar: Always visible