The New Policeman by Kate Thompson

The New Policeman (2005)

by Kate Thompson

This is the first book in The New Policeman trilogy. I enjoyed this book; it was a unique middle grade novel that was a blend of fantasy, time travel, faerie, and music elements. It was a quick and easy read that I found really interesting and engaging. This book is a very complete story all on its own.

The people of Kinvara can’t figure out why they are always so pressed for time. Time seems to be literally slipping away from them. When J.J’s mother asks for more time for her birthday J.J. is determined to oblige her. What starts as a quick jaunt to bring a neighbor some cheese quickly turns into an adventure in a different world where time is supposed to stand still.

This story takes awhile to get going. The first hundred pages or so are dedicated to learning about J.J.’s ancestors and their strange musical past. Each chapter has a short piece of music after it (which I did not go and play) about something that was discussed in the preceding chapter.

I enjoyed the writing style. This was a very engaging story, the characters were likable, and I enjoyed J.J.’s close relationship with his family. Once the story got moving I was sucked into the mystery behind the time leak and curious about the other world.

Overall this was a great story. I ended up really enjoying the plot, the characters, and the magic. I would recommend to middle grade and older readers who are interested in faerie and time travel. I am unsure whether or not I will read the next two books in the series; this book wraps up the story nicely and I don’t really need anything more to read right now. ( )
  krau0098 | Jun 27, 2018 |
I loved this book, especially the way the author muses on the inspiration of musicians, which could equally apply to other creative pursuits as well. Makes me badly want to visit Ireland! ( )
  Elizabeth_Foster | Nov 3, 2017 |
This is a wonderful, wonderful audiobook. Jim Norton's Irish brogue and the brief music interludes add to the production. It is set in Ireland and the legends and superstitions of that country are interwoven into the tale. Music and time are the main threads of the story. You do need to get your head around time, for the fairy world is a world without time. ( )
  geraldinefm | Apr 18, 2015 |
Fun read. A little bit of fairy-ness, but not too much. ( )
  Mirandalg14 | Aug 18, 2014 |
I fell right into this book and finished it in a couple of sittings. If not for life's interruptions, I would've read it straight through. It's a perfect Irish story, steeped in folklore, with a timeless magical quality that creates a hunger to devour chapters at a time. ( )
  S.D. | Apr 5, 2014 |

You know, there's just never enough time. Where does it go? It seems to just be disappearing. And that is exactly the problem J.J. is trying to find a solution to when he travels from his village in Ireland to the land where time stands still. It's not that J.J. wants to live there, but he does want to see if he can buy some time for his mother's birthday. The real problem is that time is no longer standing still in Tir na n'Og. In fact, time is leaking from J'J.'s world into theirs. Can J.J. find the leak? Can he get back to his world? Can he remember the tune Aengus wants him to play on his fiddle? And can he learn some important truths about his family's history from the new policeman?

Who knows where the time goes?

There never seems to be enough time in Kinvara, or anywhere else in Ireland for that matter. When J.J.'s mother says time's what she really wants for her birthday, J.J. decides to find her some. He's set himself up for an impossible task . . . until a neighbor reveals a secret. There's a place where time stands still—at least, it's supposed to. J.J. can make the journey there, but he'll have to vanish from his own life to do so. Can J.J. find the leak between the two worlds? Will a shocking rumor about his family's past come back to haunt him? And what does it all have to do with the village's new policeman . . . ?

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:00:05 -0400)

Irish teenager JJ Liddy discovers that time is leaking from his world into Tir na nOg, the land of the fairies, and when he attempts to stop the leak he finds out a lot about his family history, the music that he loves, and a crime his great-grandfather may or may not have committed.… (more)

Recorded Books

An edition of this book was published by Recorded Books.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 127,257,373 books! | Top bar: Always visible