Arrr! (Celebrate International Talk Like a Pirate Day)

The Sign of Jonas by Thomas Merton

The Sign of Jonas (edition 1979)

by Thomas Merton

Member:332
Title:The Sign of Jonas
Authors:Thomas Merton
Info:Mariner Books (1979), Paperback, 384 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:religious studies, trappist, philadelphia, book haven, november 2012

The Sign of Jonas by Thomas Merton

While I generally look to Merton because of his wisdom and the gift of prophecy that he has in reflection that is hard to find in many, that is not really the intent of this book. What we have here could be written by any monastic. It is essentially the diary of the events in a monastery and the struggle that takes place in giving a life towards God, yet still living selfishly. I would definitely recommend this for those that are interested on the day to day happenings of a monastery and the ascetic lifestyle. I would not, however, recommend this to regular fans of Merton's musings, as they are not in the same style. Overall, I'm glad I read this, but this will not be one I come back to in the same manner. ( )
  jd234512 | Jul 24, 2009 |
Captivating ( )
  Harrod | Dec 3, 2008 |
I liked this book much better than the Seven Story Mountain. I suppose it's autobiographical in that it's what happened to Merton, but it's much more of a meditation on his life with the Christian God. There's a lot about the monastic life and contemplative prayer. It's also very well written, almost poetical. I'm not longer a Merton fan, but when I was, this was my favorite. ( )
  aulsmith | Jul 19, 2008 |
from back cover: "Shortly after The Seven Storey Mountain was completed, Thomas Merton began to keep a journal. He had entered the Cistercian monastery of Gethsemani some five years earlier and was nearing the end of his probationary period. He had been living under simple vows as a novice and was preparing to take the solemn and perpetual vows of one of the strictest religious orders. His journal -- published as The Sign of Jonas -- records the doubts and uncertainties, joys and difficulties of the years of preparation for the priesthood which culminated in his ordination. It is a candid portrayal of a life where men meditate, pray, do penance, fast, work and live in silence. But it is far more than a mere description of a way of life. For Thomas Merton opens his mind and heart, sharing the intimate thoughts of a man struggling for the closest possible union with god."
  WARM | Jun 27, 2008 |
A collection of journal entries written between 1946 and 1952. It introduces readers to the daily life of a monk and is sometimes referred to as "The Seven Storey Mountain: Part II." ( )
  LTW | Aug 31, 2006 |

Begun five years after he entered the Abbey of Our Lady of Gethsemani, The Sign of Jonas is an extraordinary view of Merton’s life in a Trappist monastery, and it serves also as a spiritual log recording the deep meaning and increasing sureness he felt in his vocation: the growth of a mind that finds in its contracted physical world new intellectual and spiritual dimensions.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:16 -0400)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,696,867 books! | Top bar: Always visible