Enough: Staying Human in an Engineered Age…

Enough: Staying Human in an Engineered Age

by Bill McKibben

I liked this book, but I think I would have liked it more if I read it closer to when it came out. Its about 10 years old now, and sometimes while reading it felt dated, which took away from some of the arguments the author was making. However, I found many of his points still relevant, most especially the ethical issues surrounding cloning, and the consequences of manipulating genes before birth and while in the womb. I'm expecting my first child right now, and the thought of determining everything about my child's future by manipulating its genes is abhorrent to me, and yet...if I knew my child would have a debilitating genetic disorder that could be "cured" by gene manipulation, could I truly resist changing that aspect of my child? Food for thought. ( )
  puttocklibrary | Jun 13, 2013 |
McKibben's call to arms against genetic engineering falls flat at times as his fear overcomes his facts in some places. All too often it reads simply as an anti-intellectual call to arms to rise up and rebel against science. Rather than recognizing the good potential of genetic engineering, McKibben prefers to through the baby out with the bathwater. He makes some good points, and there are certainly things in the book that need to be discussed, but he goes a bit too far into "Boys From Brazil" territory, without clearly understanding the science behind genetic engineering. ( )
  quantum_flapdoodle | Apr 18, 2011 |
A prescient, terrifying look at the not so distant future. Mr. McKibben's unease is apparent...and he's telling us WE should be wary too. Decisions affecting the future viability of the human species are being made today, RIGHT NOW, and the onus is on us to control our own fate by seizing the agenda from policy makers, technocrats and corporate profiteers and demanding to be heard.

It an oft-used term but appropriate in this instance: this is an important book. ( )
  CliffBurns | Oct 18, 2010 |

Passionate, succinct, chilling, closely argued, sometimes hilarious, touchingly well-intentioned, and essential." --Margaret Atwood, The New York Review of Books

Nearly fifteen years ago, in The End of Nature, Bill McKibben demonstrated that humanity had begun to irrevocably alter and endanger our environment on a global scale. Now he turns his eye to an array of technologies that could change our relationship not with the rest of nature but with ourselves. He explores the frontiers of genetic engineering, robotics, and nanotechnology--all of which we are approaching with astonishing speed--and shows that each threatens to take us past a point of no return. We now stand, in Michael Pollan's words, "on a moral and existential threshold," poised between the human past and a post-human future. McKibben offers a celebration of what it means to be human, and a warning that we risk the loss of all meaning if we step across the threshold. Instantly acclaimed for its passion and insight, this wise and eloquent book argues that we cannot forever grow in reach and power--that we must at last learn how to say, "Enough."

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:49:21 -0400)

Sometime in the near future, a scientist will reprogram a human cell for a genetic change that may ultimately lead to people merging with machines to create a "posthuman" world. Examining the possibilities, this explains how we can avoid the worst consequences while still enjoying the fruits of new scientific understandings, and argues that only by staying human can we find true meaning in our lives.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 92,246,080 books! | Top bar: Always visible