Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters'…

Mason-Dixon Knitting: The Curious Knitters' Guide: Stories, Patterns,… (2006)

by Kay Gardiner, Ann Shayne

Other authors: Agnes Barton-Sabo (Cover artist), Sue Daley (Photographer), Steve Gross (Photographer)

English (21)  Indonesian (1)  All languages (22)
These gals don't take knitting too seriously - or at least, they're serious but have fun as well. Good instruction & patterns...
Will constantly be reading. ( )
  kmajort | Feb 9, 2018 |
The dishcloth pattern is amazing, and the log cabin afghan particularly attractive. ( )
  voncookie | Jun 30, 2016 |
  anna_hiller | Jun 22, 2016 |
I've had this book for years and it's a favorite. Beautiful color photographs, witty writing, and the story of a magical friendship between two women who met on the internet. I would say this is a book best for novices who know the very basics but are ready to move on from boring garter stitch squares. The patterns are simple, but not boring and the color selections are spot-on.

Their blog is pretty great too, with the unique format of them addressing their posts to each other. It's like reading letters, both intimate and informative. Highly recommend swinging by there.

The first pattern I made from this book is the Ballband Dishcloth, which is fun and easy and looks great with bright colors. I learned how to create a Log Cabin blanket from this book as well, and learned about "calamari" knitting and its endless possibilities. The Baby Kimono is super easy and super cute. I have also made the rippled hand towel.

Eventually I want to make the other hand towel, the Bubbly Curtain for my kitchen window, the nightie and robe for when I drop a few more pounds haha, the Big Dotty Cushion for *something* (it just looks like a fun pattern), and the Superfancy Potholder Loop Rug because it looks cool as shit and would be a lot of fun to make.
  dulcinea14 | Sep 18, 2014 |
I tried making the baby kimono for a baby shower. I should have known there's no way you can make a garment for a newborn from cotton worsted. Everyone cooed over the item, but I knew it was too big. Many of the other patterns in the book are available elsewhere.
Also, the "jokes" aren't funny. ( )
  frannyor | Apr 7, 2014 |

Kay Gardinerprimary authorall editionscalculated
Shayne, Annmain authorall editionsconfirmed
Barton-Sabo, AgnesCover artistsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Daley, SuePhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Gross, StevePhotographersecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Pratt, Chalkley CalderwoodDesignersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For our families: Hubby, Carrie, and Joseph * Hubbo, David, and Clifton

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0307236056, Hardcover)

Kay Gardiner and Ann Shayne are the rock stars of the knitting community--fans flock to their popular blog (masondixonknitting.com) for a daily dose of knitting genius, tips, and humor. In their first book, Mason-Dixon Knitting, you'll find practical advice, instruction, and more than 30 incredible patterns. Want a taste? Check out the details below for making your very own Moderne Log Cabin Blanket. --Daphne Durham
Pattern Preview: Moderne Log Cabin Blanket

This lightweight blanket in a sophisticated wool/silk yarn proves that a log cabin can go to the Big City. There is no "center patch," and there are blocks of color instead of concentric strips. Drape it over a Barcelona chair, or your shoulders, and enjoy.

SIZE: 60" x 50" (150 cm x 124 cm)
MATERIALS: Silky Wool by Elsebeth Lavold, [1.76 oz (50 g) balls, each approx 192 yds (176 m), wool/silk]
A: cream 4 balls
B: brown 5 balls
C: light purple 5 balls
D: dark purple 5 balls
Size 6 (4mm) needles
GAUGE: 22 sts + 44 rows = 4" (10 cm) in garter stitch.
Note: Throughout pattern, always pick up and bind off stitches on the RS. See entire pattern

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:21:53 -0400)

Chock-full of amusing anecdotes and helpful tips for knitters, this book also includes 30 patterns for practical but lovely dishcloths, cushions, and rugs, as well as sexy knitted nightwear, ethereal scarves, and cute baby gifts.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 134,792,077 books! | Top bar: Always visible