Case Histories by Kate Atkinson

Case Histories (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Kate Atkinson

Member:rodrick
Title:Case Histories
Authors:Kate Atkinson
Info:Doubleday UK (2004), Hardcover, 304 pages
Collections:Public library, 2010-14
Rating:***1/2
Tags:fiction, mystery, British

Case Histories by Kate Atkinson (2004)

One Good Turn by Kate Atkinson (teelgee)
    The Accidental by Ali Smith (Sarasamsara)
    Faithful Place by Tana French (Laura400)
    Motherless Brooklyn by Jonathan Lethem (Smiler69)
    The Invisible Ones by Stef Penney (RidgewayGirl)
    RidgewayGirl: Both books are written by highly acclaimed authors and feature an unhappy private investigator specializing in missing persons.
    What the Dead Know by Laura Lippman (loriephillips)
    The Fit by Philip Hensher (KayCliff)
    The Murderer's Daughters by Randy Susan Meyers (BookshelfMonstrosity)
    BookshelfMonstrosity: These two books are domestic fiction in which father and daughter is a main topic.

English (228)  Dutch (3)  French (2)  German (1)  Spanish (1)  Italian (1)  All languages (236)
The sweet youngest daughter in the family goes missing one hot summer night. A lawyer's teenage daughter is killed in a senseless act of violence at his workplace. A mother goes crazy after the birth of her daughter and goes to jail for killing her husband. What do these three cases have in common? They have all landed on the desk of private investigator Jackson Brodie. Brodie's got problems of his own. His wife has remarried, his precocious daughter is dressing way beyond her years, and the strange cat lady keeps calling. But all the cases are converging and Brodie keeps finding out things the original investigators missed, and now someone wants to end his life too. Funny, strange, and very personal, Atkinson shines light in the dark and funny spaces in her characters' heads. ( )
  Hanneri | Jul 20, 2014 |
I've heard so many great things about this book on LT, and I'm happy to say I wasn't disappointed. This is a mystery that weaves several cold cases together that detective Jackson Brodie works to solve. I actually didn't think the mysteries were all that mysterious, but the character writing in this book is amazing. Atkinson shifts point of view between chapters and very successfully creates different third person voices for each of her main characters. I'm definitely interested in reading more of her work. ( )
  japaul22 | Jul 5, 2014 |

I own a copy and bookcrossed a copy.

I wasn't sure when I read the first three chapters, the mystery cold cases that form the bulk of the novel. They were very grim and gruesome but then it really picked up steam and I read about 250 pages in one go. The mysteries became intertwined with each other in the person of detective Jackson Brodie and various other ways. The characters are not always likeable but very real and I esp. felt very fond of Theo, whose daughter was murdered ten years previously. The Land sisters were less bearable. It did get into an everything but the kitchen sink ending but mostly that meant I stayed up another hour and kept reading. I'm not sure I'd read more by her, the interview included at the end made Atkinson sound rather feather-headed, but it was very engaging, just grim at time.
  amyem58 | Jul 3, 2014 |
I vacuumed this book up. I thought her characters were well rounded (aided incredibly by their thoughts continually, and often comically, in parentheses) with the possible exception of Marlee. And they were a nice mix. The plot obviously kept me going, wanting to know what happened, and who knew what. Nicely satisfying multiple whodunnit, not overly intellectual, with good emotional connections to the characters.

What impressed me most was that I found her style of writing very easy to read, it didn't jar, it didn't feel like it was trying too hard, it just is, it's very natural. I'm sure she has to work hard to make it that easy, but it doesn't come across as overly worked, and I greatly admire her for that. I'll be reading more of her work. ( )
  devilish2 | Mar 11, 2014 |
Excellent set of long-unsolved mysteries, tied together by the PI, Jackson Brodie. There is the case of littel 3 y/o Olivia, lost some 30 years before, and her now adult sisters, Julia, Amelia, and Shirley (now a cloistered nun); the case of Laura Wyre, slashed to death in her father's office, perhaps by someone looking for her father, Theo... there are others as well. ( )
  DavidO1103 | Mar 1, 2014 |
We have a woman who once thought she was marrying a “great mathematician” but now finds herself—a mother of four daughters and pregnant again—wondering what her glowering husband “would look like when he was dead.”

Ye shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free. (John 8:32)
For Anne McIntyre
How lucky were they? A heat wave in the middle of the school holidays, exactly where it belonged.
She should have done science, not spent all her time with her head in novels. Novels gave you a completely false idea about life, they told lies and they implied there were endings when in reality there were no endings, everything just went on and on and on.
It wasn't that [he] believed in religion, or a God, or an afterlife. He just knew it was impossible to feel this much love and for it to end.

CASE ONE:
Olivia Land, youngest and most beloved of the Land girls, goes missing in the night and is never seen again. More than thirty years later, two of her surviving sisters, each achingly lonely in her own way, reunite when their cruel and distant father dies. There, among the clutter of their childhood home, they unearth a shocking clue to Olivia's disappearance.

CASE TWO:
All of Theo's happiness is tied to his devoted daughter Laura. He delights in her wit, her effortless beauty, and her selfless love, and in the fact that she's taken a position at his prestigious law firm. But on her first day on the job, a maniac storms into the office and turns Theo's entire world upside down.

CASE THREE:
Michelle looks around one day and finds herself trapped in a hell of her own making. A very needy baby and a very demanding husband make her every waking moment a reminder that somewhere, somehow, she made a grave mistake and will spend the rest of her life paying for it — until a fit of rage creates a grisly, bloody escape.

As private detective Jackson Brodie investigates all three cases, startling connections and discoveries emerge. Jackson finds himself inextricably caught up in his clients' lives — their grief, their joy, their desire, and their unshakable need for resolution are very much like his own.

Case one: A little girl goes missing in the night.

Case two: A beautiful young office worker falls victim to a maniac's apparently random attack.

Case three: A new mother finds herself trapped in a hell of her own making - with a very needy baby and a very demanding husband - until a fit of rage creates a grisly, bloody escape.

Thirty years after the first incident, as private investigator Jackson Brodie begins investigating all three cases, startling connections and discoveries emerge . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:54:32 -0400)

Case One: Olivia Land, youngest and most beloved of the Land girls, goes missing in the night and is never seen again. Case Two: Theo delights in his daughter Laura's wit, beauty, and selfless love. But her first day as an associate in his law firm is also the day when Theo's world turns upside down. Case Three: Michelle looks around one day and finds herself trapped in a hell of her own making, with a very needy baby and a very demanding husband-until a fit of rage creates a grisly escape route...As Private Detective Jackson Brodie investigates all three cases, startling connections emerge. Inextricably caught up in his clients' emotions, Jackson finds their unshakable need for resolution very much like his own.… (more)

Five editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,658,353 books! | Top bar: Always visible