Castle by David Macaulay
1,719304,127 (4.29)28
Recently added byarpballew, BHelf1, Kacex, tanyabutton, private library, dachda, kaitanya64, jandjmiller, SCCCBL, spiffyspeef

English (29)  Dutch (1)  All (30)
Beautiful, precise drawings accompany detailed, descriptive text to build a complete picture of the process of building a castle in the 13th century: planning, funding, workers, tools, materials, defense, and offense. There is a useful glossary in the back. ( )
  JennyArch | Jan 31, 2017 |
Macaulay uses detailed illustrations, floor plans, and cut-away pictures to describe the process of building a fictional castle within the historical context of medieval times.The reader learns of the different number and types of laborers hired, how cold temperatures halted the work, which was protected with layers of straw and dung before the workers returned to England for the winter. Macaulay even illustrates the way medieval toilets were built, supported, but protruding beyond the castle wall, connected to a “cesspit” at the base of the wall. A thorough slice of life in medieval times.
  tina_w | Jul 17, 2016 |
I loved this book as a 7th grader. We were studying this time period and my father gave this book to me for Christmas 1977. I used it as part of my history report on castles and I still think the pen and ink drawings are more outstanding than any color books I have seen in comparison. ( )
  MarySchubert | Mar 2, 2016 |
This is David Macaulay's book about the architectural process of building an English fortress. He goes through the steps with all the details, tools, people and possibilities involved, drawing amazing pictures to help you better understand. He includes dates that follow a timeline of the construction of Lord Kevin Le Strange's fortress which was completed and even resisted destruction.
  npetzold | Nov 6, 2015 |
(7.8)
  mrsforrest | Oct 23, 2014 |
To the past -- farewell
On March 27, 1283, King Edward I of England named Kevin le Strange to be Lord of Aberwyvern -- a rich but rebellious are of northwest Wales.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 0395329205, Paperback)

Imagine yourself in 13th-century England. King Edward I has just named the fictitious Kevin le Strange to be the Lord of Aberwyvern--"a rich but rebellious area of Northwest Wales." Lord Kevin's first task is to oversee the construction of a strategically placed castle and town in order to assure that England can "dominate the Welsh once and for all." And a story is born! In the Caldecott Honor Book Castle, David Macaulay--author, illustrator, former architect and teacher--sets his sights on the creation and destiny of Lord Kevin's magnificent castle perched on a bluff overlooking the sea. Brick by brick, tool by tool, worker by worker, we witness the methodical construction of a castle through exquisitely detailed pen-and-ink illustrations. Children who love to know how things work especially appreciate Macaulay's passion for process and engineering. Moats, arrow loops, plumbing, dungeons, and weaponry are all explained in satisfying detail. This talented author also has a keen sense of irony and tragedy, which is played out in the intricacies of the human story: a castle can be built as a fortress, but ultimately it becomes obsolete when humans discover that cooperation works best. (Ages 9 and older) --Gail Hudson

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:16:33 -0400)

Text and detailed drawings follow the planning and construction of a "typical" castle and adjoining town in thirteenth-century Wales.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,904,646 books! | Top bar: Always visible