Thin Air by Michelle Paver

Thin Air

by Michelle Paver

999174,346 (4)8

This book is set in 1935
5 Chaps decide to climb Kangehenjunga a mountain in the Himalayas.
Things start to wrong early on.
The main character is Dr Stephen Pearce he is climbing with his brother Kit. There is a bit of rivalry between them.
Stephen keeps seeing a ghost of a climber who died 30 years ago.
His brother falls to his death and dies, A bit boring this book. Not for me. ( )
  Daftboy1 | Oct 16, 2018 |
A gripping adventure story, with a psychological twist. Not a genre I read often, but I loved this author's Chronicles of Ancient Darkness series and was looking forward to her involving writing. not disappointed, but unlikely to read 'Dark Matter' , as reviews seem to indicate it is very similar to this book. ( )
  celerydog | Sep 17, 2018 |
In the 1930s, an expedition sets out to summit Kangchenjunga, the third tallest mountain in the world, following in the footsteps of a previous ill-fated expedition, in which all but two men died. Once they get on the mountain, they discover that a restless spirit may be shadowing them. This was an atmospheric, chilling (pun intended) ghost story culminating in a frightening night spent in a storm on the mountain. Like Paver's other ghost story, Dark Matter (which was set in the Arctic), I appreciated her attention to historical detail and the perils of exploring remote places. ( )
  sturlington | Aug 20, 2018 |
Good, albeit you may notice it is an obvious reworking of her other. Very atmospheric, quite spare in narrative & chilling as you consume it. ( )
  kate_author | Jun 2, 2018 |
I love stories about climbing expeditions so I try to read as many as I can. This one focuses more on the ghost story aspect versus a lot of climbing details which is still great but if you are looking for more of a technical perspective then you probably want to read a true account instead of this.

With that said, I enjoyed this story immensely but when it's all said and done, it didn't 'wow' me like I was hoping for. It had all of the ingredients of a good ghost story but I just didn't get that eerie, creepy feeling that I felt like it should have evoked which is why I only gave it 4 stars instead of 5.
  EmpressReece | Mar 9, 2018 |

But it was there.
I saw it.
And worse than that, it saw me.

The higher you go, the darker it gets.

The Himalayas, 1935.
Kangchenjunga. Third-highest peak on earth.
Greatest killer of them all.

Five Englishmen set off from Darjeeling, determined to conquer the sacred summit. But courage can only take them so far — and the mountain is not their only foe.

As mountain sickness and the horrors of extreme altitude set in, the past refuses to stay buried.

And sometimes, the truth won't set you free.

The Himalayas, 1935. Kangchenjunga. Third-highest peak on earth. Greatest killer of them all. Five Englishmen set off from Darjeeling, determined to conquer the sacred summit. But courage can only take them so far - and the mountain is not their only foe. As the wind dies, the dread grows. Mountain sickness. The horrors of extreme altitude.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,569,968 books! | Top bar: Always visible