Under Rose-Tainted Skies by Louise Gornall

Under Rose-Tainted Skies

by Louise Gornall

It reminded me a lot of Everything, Everything, but I've yet to find a mental health book dealing with anxiety that I can identify with. It wasn't my favorite, but a fairly decent book. ( )
  jlydia | Jun 25, 2018 |
Narrated by Phoebe Strole. Since middle school Nora has suffered from agoraphobia, OCD and panic attacks. She’s been housebound all these years; just going out to the car has her paralysed with fear. A cute boy named Luke moves in next door. Nora’s attraction to him and their developing friendship has her thinking he could make a difference in her life…if only she could let him. Wasn't feeling this book. Swearing didn't sound authentic to the character or reader. Nora somewhat annoying. Reading at times is monotone. ( )
  Salsabrarian | Feb 26, 2018 |
One of the better books in the young-adult, mental-illness category. Really delves into the internal messages that goes through the brain of someone who suffers from agoraphobia. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 3, 2017 |
I don't read reviews or summaries of books before I begin to read. While reading "Under Rose-Tainted Skies" I guessed that the author suffered from agoraphobia like Norah, the main character, and then at the end I confirmed my guess by reading the Author's Note. The fears and anxieties that went through Norah's head were varied and creative and things I had never considered before. This book does a great job of putting the reader into the mind of an agoraphobic teen. ( )
  AmandaSanders | Jul 22, 2017 |
An amazing, heartfelt fictional account of a teenage girl suffering from OCD. This portrayal felt so real and raw. I loved it and was broken by it. I could feel Nora's anxiety and sympathized with her especially as she wished she could change or get better.

Nora's mom was perfect in this story as well. She is a strong presence in Nora's life, getting Nora the help she needs but also being there for Nora as a parent and a confidant. And Luke. At first I was a little afraid this would be girl meets boy, boy miraculously fixes girl. But it wasn't. Instead, while Luke may serve as the catalyst for some things (good and bad), his role showed more the acceptance of those with mental illness. He didn't judge Nora and was there for her in whatever way she allowed him to be while still seeing her as a person and not a stigma.

Overall, wonderfully written and highly recommend. ( )
  Kristymk18 | Jun 22, 2017 |

Norah has agoraphobia and OCD. When groceries are left on the porch, she can’t step out to get them. Struggling to snag the bags with a stick, she meets Luke. He’s sweet and funny, and he just caught her fishing for groceries. Because of course he did.
     Norah can’t leave the house, but can she let someone in? As their friendship grows deeper, Norah realizes Luke deserves a normal girl. One who can lie on the front lawn and look up at the stars. One who isn’t so screwed up.
     Readers themselves will fall in love with Norah in this poignant, humorous, and deeply engaging portrait of a teen struggling to find the strength to face her demons.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 16 Jun 2016 00:59:45 -0400)

Norah has agoraphobia and OCD. She meets Luke when her groceries are left on the porch, and she can't even step out to get them. As their friendship grows deeper, Norah realizes Luke deserves a normal girl. One who can lie on the front lawn and look up at the stars. One who isn't so screwed up. Can she let him go, or will she find the strength to face her demons?… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 132,657,846 books! | Top bar: Always visible