An Amish Harvest: Four Novellas by Beth…

An Amish Harvest: Four Novellas

by Beth Wiseman

Each author offers a story filled with heartache, love, faith, and devotion. The writing flows nicely and the novellas quickly draw you in. The characters are fleshed out well, it's difficult to put the book down because you want to know what happens next. Each novella could easily be made into a full book...aspiring readers want to know. :)

The novellas are appropriate for young adults and adults alike.

shannon.dolgos | Sep 5, 2017 |
As an Amish fiction lover, I couldn't wait to read this anthology! These 4 authors are absolutely amazing and I have been a fan of their work for many years. These four stories are beautifully written and so full of wonderful characters and messages. Each page turn brought more inspiration and by the end of the book, I was sitting there reflecting, thinking about my own life and the simple things we tend to take for granted.

I loved all four stories, but Beth Wiseman's story, A Cup Half Full, really stuck with me. Sarah's disability and her doubts and fears and having trouble accepting God's will really is something I've dealt with. Beth Wiseman's attention to Amish simplicity during trying times and weaving God's understanding grace into the story really was a wonderful experience.

I received this book for free from Booklook Blogger Program in exchange for an honest review. This does not affect my opinion of the book or the content of my review.
This book is worthy of 5 stars and highest recommendations. If you love wonderfully written stories, faith inspired plot lines and authors who love their readers, then this is a book just for you. I can't wait for another beautifully written anthology by highly talented authors! ( )
  CafinatedReads | Mar 9, 2017 |
Title: An Amish Home (4 Novellas)
Author: Beth Wiseman, Amy Clipston, Ruth Reid & Kathleen Fuller
Pages: 400
Year: 2017
Publisher: Thomas Nelson
My rating 5 out of 5 stars.
Each novella in this collection is not only written by a different author, but is also a stand-alone story that isn’t interrelated. First is A Cup Half Full by Beth Wiseman where our hearts are grabbed by the character of Sarah Lantz who had dreams for her future home and marriage when an accident radically altered not jut her life but others in the community as well. Second, a story by Amy Clipston titled, Home Sweet Home where Englishers Mia and Chace O’Conner accept help to live on Amish property after being evicted from their apartment with a young baby. Third is Ruth Reid’s novella titled, A Flicker of Hope where the trials endured by Thomas and Noreen King cause them to end up separated for a season in their hearts from each other. Finally, Kathleen Fuller’s tale titled, Building Faith where we meet two people who though in their younger years were engaged but that was broken off by Faith due to a tragedy she endured without the help of her then fiancée Silas.
I found that each novella impacted my heart by what the various characters went through and how the community came together to aid them as they at times had to rebuild their lives. Each tale too showed how the characters had choices placed before them that were challenging to them in different ways. Whether it is broken dreams, a broken heart or even a broken body, the choice to keep putting one foot in front of the other by faith was extolled.
In one story, it was a young newly married couple that faced new challenges while in another the couple was married for 15 years, but both of them had to choose whether to build their marriage by clinging to God or to walk away. I was touched by Chace and Mia’s story, especially when they experienced firsthand the love people can show others by simply meeting everyday needs and then some. I could relate to Mia who wanted to keep her grandfather’s carpentry legacy going.
Each novella is unique, heart-grabbing, filled with hope and leaves the ending really to the reader’s imagination. While the tales do come to some type of ending, it seems to me that the authors left readers to let the story resonate with their hearts and imagine what might come next in the lives of the characters. So, if you’re looking for stories that reflect life with both its joys and sorrows, tragedy and hope as well as filled with faith, here is your next compilation to enjoy!
Disclosure of Material Connection: I received one or more of the products or services mentioned above for free in the hope that I would mention it on my blog. Regardless, I only recommend products or services I use personally and believe will be good for my readers. I am disclosing this in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission’s 16 CFR, Part 255. “Guides Concerning the Use of Endorsements and Testimonials in Advertising.” ( )
  lcjohnson1988 | Feb 21, 2017 |
Tuesday, February 7, 2017
An Amish Home ~ Four Novellas by Beth Wiseman, Amy Clipston, Ruth Reid & Kathleen Fuller, © 2017

An Amish Home releases today!!

Thank you, author Amy Clipston for sending me a copy of An Amish Home. I will be reviewing her novella within, "Home Sweet Home."

Bird-in-Hand, Pennsylvania
Driving rain welcomes Chace and Mia O'Conner and their infant daughter, Kaitlyn, to an adventure not soon to be forgotten. Shelter and friendship are before them as they settle into a small cabin, destined to become their own Home Sweet Home. With nowhere else to go, it becomes more than they could have imagined for their family beginnings.

Fresh country air beckons them as they are intrigued by their new surroundings. Isaac Allgyer and his wife, Vera, and their children welcome them and greet them beyond what they had ever experienced. Family.

Mia has never been extended such courtesies and is uncertain how to negotiate kindness. Blaming her husband for their lack displays an uneasiness of all he is doing to rectify their dilemma of bills occurring unprepared. A young marriage, learning to work together, easing guilt brought on by not knowing what to do or say, may open a door to a solution they will recognize as not only urgent but necessary to extend a hand to each other. Forgiveness, acceptance, a love greater than their own.

I really liked this story of growing together and relying on God. No other way would surface than in His love. ( )
  lanehillhouse | Feb 7, 2017 |
An Amish Home contains four novellas written by Amy Clipston, Beth Wiseman, Ruth Reid, and Kathleen Fuller. The first book is A Cup Half Full is by Beth Wiseman. Sarah and Abram Lantz had only been married one week when they are in an accident. Their buggy is hit by a car. Abram only suffered minor injuries, but Sarah came away with severe damage to her leg muscles. Sarah will be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life. Sarah is angry and resentful (the full gamut of emotions). All of Sarah’s dreams have been dashed. Abram has spent the time since the accident retrofitting their home for Sarah which was a costly endeavor (he went into debt). Abram still dreams of a house full of children, but Sarah feels that this dream died with the accident. What does the future hold for Sarah and Abram?

Home Sweet Home by Amy Clipston is the story of Mia and Chace O’Conner. They have had a difficult time since the birth of their daughter, Kaitlyn. The medical bills were overwhelming, and they got behind on their bills including their rent. When they are evicted from their apartment, Chace’s boss, Isaac Allgyer, offers them the cabin (daadihaus) on their property. The Allgyer family is Amish. Mia is not prepared to live with no electricity or modern conveniences (Chace failed to mention this beforehand to Mia). Isaac and his wife, Vera along with their children go out of their way to welcome the O’Conner family and make them feel at home. The relationship between Mia and Chase is strained. When their five-month-old daughter, Kaitlyn becomes ill, the situation quickly deteriorates. Is there hope for Mia and Chace?

The third story is written by Kathleen Fuller and it is titled Building Faith. Faith Miller loves woodworking. Her grandfather taught her while he was still alive and now Faith finds sanctuary in his (now her) workshop. Faith would like people to take her woodworking seriously. She feels that her final products would fetch a good price if her father would allow her to sell them. Then Faith is asked to build the kitchen cabinets in her cousin, Martha’s new home. This will be a chance to prove to everyone that she is capable and qualified. Unfortunately, Marvin, Martha’s fiancé, has asked Silas Graber to build the cabinets for their new home. Silas needs the money from this job to help his family’s carpentry business. Silas has been running the business for his father since his mother took ill (which he is keeping quiet). Marvin and Martha decide that Silas and Faith need to work on the project together (or they will give hire a different carpenter). It will be a difficult task since Silas and Faith used to court. Faith broke up with Silas just after her grandfather passed away. Will they be able to build and install the cabinets for Marvin and Martha before their wedding? Can these two find a way to work together?

The final story is A Flicker of Hope by Ruth Reid. Thomas and Noreen King have been married for fifteen years. The relationship between the two has been off-balance for many years. One afternoon Noreen comes up from the cellar to find a fire in her kitchen. She tries to put it out and ends up making matters worse (Noreen is clumsy). Noreen collapses before she can exit the house. She is rescued by Thomas. After depositing Noreen outside, Thomas goes back into the house (much to Noreen’s dismay). He exits with an old tin that contains letters from Noreen (you know there must be more to it). Before the fire department can arrive, their home is completing engulfed in flames. Over the next few days as Thomas clears away the rubble, we find out what caused the rift between Noreen and Thomas. Is it possible for them to rebuild their relationship?

I enjoyed reading the four stories in An Amish Home. The stories are all well-written, have lovely characters, and are easy to read. All four stories have good life lessons contained within them (the importance of faith and prayer). Home Sweet Home will help restore your faith in love, God and mankind. I give An Amish Home 5 out of 5 stars. They are uplifting and heartwarming stories. These books will make you laugh, cry, smile and sigh. I believe reading An Amish Home is a great way to spend an afternoon (especially if it is raining or snowing). I know I will never be disappointed when I pick up a book that is written by Amy Clipston (or Beth Wiseman, Ruth Reid, or Kathleen Fuller). These four authors crafted beautiful stories that tie together into one satisfying book. Each story is unique and reflects the authors writing style (voice). I look forward to reading An Amish Summer when it comes out in June. ( )
  Kris_Anderson | Feb 7, 2017 |

Beth Wisemanprimary authorall editionscalculated
Chapman, Vannettasecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Clipston, Amysecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Fuller, Kathleensecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 052911853X, Paperback)

Faith, hope, and love remain forever in season in this collection of four richly absorbing novellas set amidst the wonder of an Amish autumn.

Under the Harvest Moon, by Beth Wiseman

When Naomi Dienner is suddenly widowed, she never expects to find love again . . . until she meets Brock Mulligan, an English family friend hired at harvest time. As a sinister presence begins to threaten Naomi, Brock seeks to prove himself trustworthy while struggling with growing feelings for Naomi and her children. Will God open Naomi’s heart—and give Brock his own second chance at love?

Love and Buggy Rides, by Amy Clipston

Janie Lantz is a cashier at Lancaster Souvenirs and Buggy Rides, where Jonathan Stoltfuz is a buggy driver. A frightening accident brings Janie and Jonathan together in a blossoming friendship, yet daunting obstacles stand between them and something deeper. Can love kindle into flames that burn away fear and regret—and lead them to a life together?

Mischief in the Autumn Air, by Vannetta Chapman When items start going above market value at his auction house, Eli Wittmer is first thrilled, and then puzzled. But when the house is broken into, Eli and his new bookkeeper, Martha Beiler track down a trail of clues. Will they solve the mystery before the fall festival ends—and discover an unexpected new love?

A Quiet Love, by Kathleen Fuller Dinah Hochstetler, quiet and bookish, longs for marriage but hides in her shyness. Amos Mullett, a simple farmer, knows he’s different but aches for a loving wife. As Dinah and Amos navigate a budding romance, will the power of love—and the blessing of God—be enough to overcome their doubters?

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 28 May 2016 23:47:28 -0400)

A Cup Half Full by Beth Wiseman Sarah Lantz always dreamed of the perfect home, the perfect husband, the perfect family. When she married Abram, she knew she was on her way to securing her perfect life. All of that changes in one moment when an accident leaves her unable to walk and confined to a wheelchair, dashing all of her dreams. As Abram starts to transform their home, Sarah begins a transformation in her spirit, and she begins, once again, to see her cup as half full. Home Sweet Home by Amy Clipston Down on their luck and desperate after they are evicted from their small apartment, Chace and Mia O Connor reluctantly take Chace s Amish boss up on his offer to rent them the daadi haus located on his property. They are certain they will never feel at home in the rustic cabin without any modern conveniences, and they start to blame each other for their seemingly hopeless situation. But with the help of their new Amish friends, Chace and Mia begin to enjoy their cozy cabin and realize that home really is where the heart is. Building Faith by Kathleen Fuller Faith Miller knows that carpentry is an unlikely hobby for a young Amish woman, but she loves the work and it keeps the memory of her grandfather alive. So when her cousin asks Faith to build the cabinets in her new home, Faith is only too happy to take on the job, even if it is the most ambitious project she has ever taken on. The only catch is that she has to work with her ex-fiance, Silas. As they work to build Martha s kitchen, can they put the past behind them and start to build faith in one another again? A Flicker of Hope by Ruth Reid Fifteen years ago, Thomas and Noreen King were blissful newlyweds. Young, naive, and in love, life was rosy ... for a while. Then trials and tribulations rocked their foundation, shattering them emotionally, and soon, their marriage was in shards. All hope for restoring their previously unshakable union seems lost. When fire destroys their home, Thomas and Noreen are left to sift through the rubble. As uncovered items from the remains of the house shake loose memories of the past, Thomas and Noreen begin to draw closer and a flicker of hope and love is re-ignited.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,680,849 books! | Top bar: Always visible