The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis

The Female of the Species (original 2004; edition 2017)

by Mindy McGinnis (Author)

Member:sylviawrigley
Title:The Female of the Species
Authors:Mindy McGinnis (Author)
Info:Katherine Tegen Books (2017), Edition: Reprint, 368 pages

The Female of the Species by Mindy McGinnis (2004)

McGinnis explores rape culture through her complex three main protagonists, Alex, Jack, and Peekay. Her exploration of morality and revenge and how those two things intertwine envelopes the reader throughout the text, emphasizing the morally grey center of the novel. Though I wouldn't recommend for those that might be squeamish or be sensitive to violence, anyone else looking for a complex story that makes you think about your own morality will have found it in McGinnis's book.

Read my full review at Between-the-Shelves! ( )
  Amanda7 | Oct 12, 2018 |
Holy shit, y'all. ( )
  akaGingerK | Oct 2, 2018 |
"I live in a world where not being molested as a child is considered luck"

This was BRUTAL!! This book was raw and beautiful and will stay with you for a VERY long time! I love, love, LOVED the writing which was stunning and real. I'll admit it, I'm here, just having finished this book, and I'm broken into pieces crying. It's not that civilized, sniffling, dab at your eyes and it's done kind of crying. It's the soul abraded, snot dripping cry that leads my hubby to ask why I choose to read things that tear me apart emotionally.
This was told by 3 different characters perspectives, all of whom I fell in love with which is extremely rare. Usually I am skipping through one characters ramblings just to get back to another I liked best. That was definitely not the case here, even the supporting cast were amazing. I might go as far as to say that this contemporary story has some of the best character development I have read in a LONG time! All three MCs were human, strong yet weak at the very same time. They were complex and realistic and ultimately it HAD to be done with dueling POVs..I can not picture the story working better any other way. If you can imagine it, amongst all of the griminess and heartache there was romance and thankfully it was sans insta-love. I want to tell you to run out and read this asap because of the breadth of its beauty and the skill in which it was executed...BUT it feels weird telling you to do so because I know that the subject matter is merciless and that you too will be lacerated and laid bare...a puddle of sobbing feels. I don't want my GR friends to hurt but if you're okay with a bit of pain and some tear stained pillows then I HIGHLY recommend this book!! ( )
  BethYacoub | Mar 6, 2018 |
The Female of the Species handles heavy topics & in my opinion it was done really well.

I loved the three POVs we got; Alex, Jack and Peekay. I found all of the character's interesting and I loved watching their lives. I got really invested in Alex's character, I loved reading what was inside her head and seeing her point of view on certain situations. Some parts I was cheering her on and others I just continuously repeated no over and over again.

This book made me cry many times and when I got to the end of the book I cried even more that it was over.

All in all it was an amazing book and I will definitely be re-reading it sometime in the future. ( )
  Teri-Ann | Feb 24, 2018 |
The characters are well developed. Alex Craft is an interesting character, filled with rage, but not psychopathic. ( )
  dcoward | Jan 31, 2018 |
For the victims
This is how I kill someone.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0062320890, Hardcover)

Edgar Award–nominated author Mindy McGinnis delivers a dark and riveting contemporary YA novel that blends the unflinching honesty of Laurie Halse Anderson’s Speak with the relentless pacing and alternating perspectives of Gone Girl. A stunning, unforgettable page-turner.

Alex Craft knows how to kill someone. And she doesn’t feel bad about it.

Three years ago, when her older sister, Anna, was murdered and the killer walked free, Alex uncaged the language she knows best—the language of violence. While her own crime goes unpunished, Alex knows she can’t be trusted among other people. Not with Jack, the star athlete who wants to really know her but still feels guilty over the role he played the night Anna’s body was discovered. And not with Peekay, the preacher’s kid with a defiant streak who befriends Alex while they volunteer at an animal shelter. Not anyone.

As their senior year unfolds, Alex’s darker nature breaks out, setting these three teens on a collision course that will change their lives forever.

(retrieved from Amazon Fri, 03 Jun 2016 21:17:39 -0400)

Alex Craft knows how to kill someone. And she doesn't feel bad about it. When her older sister, Anna, was murdered three years ago and the killer walked free, Alex uncaged the language she knows best. The language of violence.

Mindy McGinnis is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 130,205,871 books! | Top bar: Always visible