Pachinko by Min Jin Lee

Pachinko (original 2017; edition 2017)

by Min Jin Lee (Author)

Member:parasolofdoom
Title:Pachinko
Authors:Min Jin Lee (Author)
Info:Grand Central Publishing (2017), Edition: 1, 496 pages

Pachinko by Min Jin Lee (2017)

I won this in a GOODREADS giveaway - Pachinko by Min Jin Lee -- Don't let my comment stop you from reading this because there were several good stories within the book that interested me. This appeared to be written more like sectional memoirs (compare it to the CLOUD ATLAS movie) and left whole gaps. An interesting read but not a pleasing format, for me. I repeat, it has so much to tell. if you can step outside the writing style. ( )
  tenamouse67 | Oct 12, 2017 |
If I were only rating the first half of this book this would be a 5 Star review. This family saga starts off strong with a unique story that explores the issues facing a Korean family living in Japan. The characters are wonderful and the story heart wrenching - a real page turner until you reach the second half where the characters become one dimensional. The story changes its focus moving away from the engrossing family saga and into themes of needless debauchery. I gave up and skipped to the last chapter just to see if the ending was worth anything. It wasn’t. I should have quit half way through. Seriously disappointing after such a strong start. ( )
  Krisbee | Oct 5, 2017 |
The accolades for this fine, epic novel are deserved. In her second novel, author Min Jin Lee follows members of a family (and many equally fascinating ancillary characters) from the Japanese Occupation era in Korea, to the Korean diaspora in Japan, up to 1989. She manages this expansive timespan through third-person omniscient voice, allowing a kind of economy in the storytelling that would otherwise be limited to structural concerns. It’s both a feat of intricate character development and a rapid-moving plot that makes one love the people, even the antagonist, and live through a hundred fast-moving stories that kept pulling at me long after all the pages were turned. Much is written about her inspiration and about the story itself, so I leave this post brief, with a final urging to read this stunning book.
  sungene | Sep 27, 2017 |
Wow. This book took me a little while to read, because it is a heavy story. It is filled with the history between Japan and Korea. How the Koreans lived and suffered when they were displaced to Japan. This family had such strength to survive in a world that kept pushing them down and really did not want them in their country. Each person found their own way to make money, survive the bullying and the hate, and to try to find peace within their family and the choices they have made. I would highly recommend this book. ( )
  MinDea | Aug 29, 2017 |
One of my favorite books of 2017. This multigenerational story tells the plight of Koreans living in Japan, pre-World War II to the late 20th century. There’s so much depth in this story about a woman who had an illegitimate child in Korea, married an honorable man who accepts the child as his own and moves them to Japan. Not only are we introduced to Japanese mafia personalities, we see the extreme racism of the Japanese against Koreans, and how the only place Koreans could find success was in running the Pachinko halls. I was left cheering the strength of the Korean women, crying over the treatment of Koreans and amazement at the ability of the Koreans to accept what was happening to them, knowing that returning to Korea wasn’t an option for them. ( )
  brangwinn | Aug 6, 2017 |
Home is a name, a word, it is a strong one; stronger than magician ever spoke, or spirit answered to, in strongest conjuration.
-Charles Dickens
For Christopher and Sam
History has failed us, but no matter.

In the early 1900s, teenaged Sunja, the adored daughter of a crippled fisherman, falls for a wealthy stranger at the seashore near her home in Korea. He promises her the world, but when she discovers she is pregnant-and that her lover is married-she refuses to be bought. Instead, she accepts an offer of marriage from a gentle, sickly minister passing through on his way to Japan. But her decision to abandon her home, and to reject her son's powerful father, sets off a dramatic saga that will echo down through the generations.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 118,498,382 books! | Top bar: Always visible