dismiss

Black Leopard, Red Wolf

by Marlon James

Series: Dark Star Trilogy (1)

FINALIST FOR THE 2019 NATIONAL BOOK AWARD The New York Times Bestseller Named a Best Book of 2019 by The Wall Street Journal, TIME, NPR, GQ, Vogue, and The Washington Post "A fantasy world as well-realized as anything Tolkien made." —Neil Gaiman "Gripping, action-packed....The literary equivalent of a Marvel Comics universe." —Michiko Kakutani, The New York Times The epic novel, an African Game of Thrones , from the Man Booker Prize-winning author of A Brief History of Seven Killings In the stunning first novel in Marlon James's Dark Star trilogy, myth, fantasy, and history come together to explore what happens when a mercenary is hired to find a missing child. Tracker is known far and wide for his skills as a hunter: "He has a nose," people say. Engaged to track down a mysterious boy who disappeared three years earlier, Tracker breaks his own rule of always working alone when he finds himself part of a group that comes together to search for the boy. The band is a hodgepodge, full of unusual characters with secrets of their own, including a shape-shifting man-animal known as Leopard. As Tracker follows the boy's scent—from one ancient city to another; into dense forests and across deep rivers—he and the band are set upon by creatures intent on destroying them. As he struggles to survive, Tracker starts to wonder: Who, really, is this boy? Why has he been missing for so long? Why do so many people want to keep Tracker from finding him? And perhaps the most important questions of all: Who is telling the truth, and who is lying? Drawing from African history and mythology and his own rich imagination, Marlon James has written a novel unlike anything that's come before it: a saga of breathtaking adventure that's also an ambitious, involving read. Defying categorization and full of unforgettable characters, Black Leopard, Red Wolf is both surprising and profound as it explores the fundamentals of truth, the limits of power, and our need to understand them both.… (more)

It was a tough read. But well written and lots of darkness. Violence and sex. ( )
  kenley | Jul 22, 2020 |
Some lovely writing, but it felt like the author was constantly throwing obstacles in the way of the story, character development and place description. It's very "writerly," and not in a good way. At time, it felt like the writer was not really interested in being read but rather wanted to perform a kind of literary disdain for the reader. Pass. ( )
  MaximusStripus | Jul 7, 2020 |
Thoroughly enjoyed the lore and story but the unnecessary plot points about violent sex and pedophilia detract from an otherwise wonderful read. ( )
  dayspring83 | Jul 3, 2020 |
Tracker is telling to his Inquisitor the tale of his search for a boy, which ends up interwoven with the story of Tracker's life and love, his childhood and his coming of age and his compromises with loss. It's a bizarre story and so, so violent and took me 250 pages to get my bearings, but I'm glad I read to the end. I have no idea whom I'd feel comfortable recommending it to, though. ( )
  ImperfectCJ | Jun 28, 2020 |
I waited 3 months for this one, until our library reopened. What a mish-mash and vulgarity! I bailed after two chapters. How this got ANY award is beyond me. ( )
  janerawoof | Jun 22, 2020 |
... that’s only one example of the many ways in which James’s densely realized epic works to expand the possibilities of the form – the characters not only have desires and act on them, but grapple with problems of identity, duty, loyalty, and their own complicated motivations; at some points, Tracker’s growing rage is such that he says he’s ready to “murder the world;” at others, he acts like a more conventional hero, valuing honor over rewards. With hints of an impending war between the north and the south, and oblique references to lands across the sea, James leaves himself plenty of room for the subsequent vol­umes, and if they match the furious richness and depth of Black Leopard, Red Wolf, they may complete one of the most important and innovative fantasy epics of the century so far.
added by karenb | editLocus Magazine, Gary K. Wolfe (Apr 21, 2019)

In Black Leopard, Red Wolf, a story’s truth is not measured by how accurately it strives toward representing an objective reality. Rather, truth manifests in a story’s failure: as part of a world, made up of nothing but stories, that is bound to the imperfection of story. At the end of such a story, no truth, simple or otherwise, remains — only the story.

It is also welcome to experience a fantasy world that is derived from Africa, with a narrator who is explicitly gay. Tracker is a very human and fallible character, and often very frustrating, but by the end my heart broke with him. I don’t know if the promised sequels will follow Tracker or another character in the same world, but this book feels like a complete story in and of itself – there are no George R.R. Martin cliffhangers here.

I highly recommend this book for all adult fiction collections.

If James could go easier on the bloodletting and muscle-bound prose, choose subtlety and sensuousness over teenage-testosterone swagger, there’s still time for him to queer rather than pastiche the franchise fare he’s avariciously eyeing.

To read A Brief History of Seven Killings is to feel Kingston assembling itself in James’ mind through the voices and stories of his characters, in much the same way that he constructs the nameless land of Tracker’s birth, a place that is and also isn’t Africa. It may not be real, but listen long enough and you’ll believe in it, too.
added by g33kgrrl | editSlate.com, Laura Miller (Feb 12, 2019)

James, Marlonprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Camacho, Pablo GerardoCover Artist.secondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Graham, DionNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Yentus, HelenCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Belongs to Series

To Jeff, for quartermoon and a million other things
The child is dead. There is nothing left to know.
Not everything the eye sees should be spoken by the mouth.
When kings fall they fall on top of us.
But I spend most of my days alone, and my nights with people I never wish to see in the morning. I will admit, at least to my darkest soul, that there was nothing worse to be than in the middle of many souls, even souls you might know, and still be lonely.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 149,159,273 books! | Top bar: Always visible