Scythe by Neal Shusterman

Scythe

by Neal Shusterman

Series: Arc of a Scythe (1)

4.5!
Excellent concept that was really well executed.
Just need to get the next one from my library so i can continue this series. ( )
  SaraChook | Jun 19, 2019 |
Rating – 4.63 out of 5

In Scythe by Neal Shusterman, the world is run by a benevolent AI, The Thunderhead, which has made normal mortality obsolete. To maintain balance a class of people, the scythe, are tasked with gleaning other humans, acting as normal chance and accident would have in the mortal age. When Citra Terranova and Rowan Damisch become apprentices to Scythe Faraday they learn how dangerous and ethically ambiguous the life of a scythe can be.

Read the rest of my review - https://bythecoverreview.com/2019/06/17/scythe-by-neal-shusterman/ ( )
  bythecoverreview | Jun 17, 2019 |
"The future is life without death. Disease has been cured, if you fall off a building you can get revived. To avoid overpopulation, Scythes control death. They are the only ones who can kill people. This is the story of 2 kids who get chosen to be scythes."
  dneirick | Jun 13, 2019 |
I picked up this book based solely on the cover. I think the cover art is so striking and beautiful. Then I read the description and thought that looked pretty interesting too.

I liked the idea of Citra and Rowan training to be a Scythe. It is a physically and mentally demanding position. I liked the exploration of how power corrupts. No matter how Utopian a society, the bad element always finds a way. I felt a lot of tension when Citra and Rowan were pitted against each other. You want them both to survive, but don't know how that can be.

I felt the ending was satisfying. I don't understand why all the books need to be turned into series these days. This book was perfect as it is. Now there is a second book out and plans for a third. Why? I don't have time to keep up with all these series. ( )
  readingover50 | Jun 11, 2019 |
In a world where disease has been eliminated, the only way to die is to be randomly killed ('gleaned') by professional reapers ('scythes'). Two teens must compete with each other to become a scythe, a position neither of them wants. The one who becomes a scythe must kill the one who doesn't.
  mcmlsbookbutler | Jun 11, 2019 |

Shusterman, NealAuthorprimary authorall editionsconfirmed
Tremblay, GregNarratorsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
For Olga (Ludovika) Nødtvedt,
a faraway fan and friend
We must, by law, keep a record of the innocents we kill.

"In a world where disease has been eliminated, the only way to die is to be randomly killed ('gleaned') by professional reapers ('scythes'). Two teens must compete with each other to become a scythe--a position neither of them wants. The one who becomes a scythe must kill the one who doesn't"--… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,561,797 books! | Top bar: Always visible