A Killer in King's Cove by Iona Whishaw

A Killer in King's Cove

by Iona Whishaw

Maisie Dobbs by Jacqueline Winspear (vancouverdeb)
    vancouverdeb: Both books/ series feature a strong female sleuth.Both sleuths served in some capacity in WW11 Britain. Wonderful cozy mysteries with a twist.

It's 1946 and Lane Winslow has left the British secret service to live a quiet life among the Douglas Fir of British Columbia. She finds the perfect old house, moves in, and sets her mind to writing and forgetting. Her peaceful escape is, of course, disrupted when a body turns up at the weir in her creek. No one in this small community of tough-minded souls recognizes the dead man, but their own stories of war and its flavors of tragedy emerge while evidence keeps pointing to Lane as the most likely suspect. Inspector Darling and his sidekick, Constable Ames, both like Lane an awful lot but what can you do when the facts seem to speak for themselves?

This delightful mystery, light but not cozy, was set in what I think of as "my" part of the world. I figured out the crux of the mystery quite early but I think Whishaw wanted this to occur as she did a good job of allowing subtle details to emerge and managed to fool me on one or two of them. ( )
1 vote EBT1002 | May 28, 2018 |
Lane Winslow served as an MI-6 agent during World War 2 and is ready to leave that life behind when the war ends. She moves to a small town in Canada in hopes of starting over. But the weary and intelligent protagonist is not to find peace in Canada when a murder happens soon after she arrives. Whishaw fabulously creates a sense of place in the tiny Canadian town and populates the town with likeable (mostly) and unique characters. I really enjoyed the mystery and the budding relationship between Winslow and a local police officer. I look forward to reading the next book in the series soon. ( )
  cburnett5 | May 19, 2018 |
From the publisher: It's been a long war and Lane Winslow just wants a fresh start . Young , weary, and haunted by countless wartime secrets, the ex-intelligence leaves London and settles into a secluded and sleepy hamlet in the mountains. Determined to conceal her past, she makes a home for herself among her eclectic neighbours.But when a corpse is discovered carrying nothing more than Winslow's name on a piece of paper, , she fears that that she may not have escaped London unscathed. As the investigation threatens to expose her past, the real killer lurks dangerously closer.

My Review: What a fantastic new series to discover! I love this story so much that I'm giving it 5 stars and I read the 2 other books in the series one after the other. A fourth books is in the writing. I am so glad I discovered this author via a review in the Globe and Mail Canada. The story takes place in a hamlet just outside Nelson B.C. Great writing , well drawn characters and page turning mystery made for a wonderful read. I was totally immersed in King's Cove B.C. Nelson police Inspector Darling and his young sidekick Constable Ames really add suspense and a bit of sardonic wit to the story. What a wonderful bunch of characters! Highly recommended!

I think I might like this series as much as the Maisie Dobbs series, and that is saying a lot!

5 stars ( )
  vancouverdeb | Nov 17, 2017 |
This is a good blend of historical fiction and murder mystery set in 1946 Canada. War weary and broken-hearted Lane Whislow has moved to Canada from England via France to “start over”. She finds and buys the perfect home (although it may have a ghost) in British Columbia and prepares to settle in. Her nightmare begins with the discovery of a body near her home. Along the way to resolution, she even spends a couple of days in jail! L.ane’s story has a complex plot with a relatively few characters; her backstory comes in bits and pieces. Of course not everyone is as they first appear. All in all it’s a satisfying read and actually one that you may want to read in one sitting.

A prequel would make good reading, and the sequel to this book is a definite “want to read”. There’s even a teaser chapter from the sequel included in this book..

Two interesting things about the book:
• The two policemen are interesting on their own: the senior Inspector (Darling) seems well-placed to be romantic interest for Lane, and Ames, the junior constable is a young eager beaver full of curiosity;
• The narrative brings to mind that many people who were alive in 1946 had the experience of living through both world wars and were struggling to get back to “normal”; and
• The English people in B.C. outdo the English in the UK for drinking tea at every opportunity!

I give this book a highly recommended rating. ( )
1 vote BrianEWilliams | May 30, 2017 |
To my mother , who always lived for adventure.
Lanette Winslow sat on a large wooden box that had miraculously arrived the same day she had and listened to the silence.

amazon ca : It is 1946, and war-weary young ex-intelligence officer Lane Winslow leaves London to look for a fresh start. When she finds herself happily settled into a sleepy hamlet in the interior of British Columbia surrounded by a suitably eclectic cast of small-town characters she feels like she may finally be able to put her past to rest.

But then a body is discovered, the victim of murder, and although she works alongside the town’s inspectors Darling and Ames to discover who might have possibly have motivation to kill, she unknowingly casts doubt on herself. As the investigation reveals facts that she has desperately tried to keep a secret, it threatens to pull her into a vortex of even greater losses than the ones she has already endured.

A clever postwar mystery that will appeal to fans the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear or the Bess Crawford series by Charles Todd.

It is 1946, and war-weary young ex-intelligence officer Lane Winslow leaves London to look for a fresh start. When she finds herself happily settled in King's Cove, a sleepy hamlet nestled in the idyllic interior of British Columbia surrounded by a suitably eclectic cast of small-town characters she feels like she may finally be able to put her past to rest. But then a body is discovered, the victim of murder, and although she works alongside the town’s inspectors Darling and Ames to discover who might possibly have motivation to kill, she casts doubt on herself. As the investigation reveals facts that she has desperately tried to keep a secret, it threatens to pull her into a vortex of even greater losses than the ones she has already endured. A clever postwar mystery that will appeal to fan of historical mysteries with women sleuths like the Maisie Dobbs series by Jacqueline Winspear or the Bess Crawford series by Charles Todd.… (more)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 136,393,589 books! | Top bar: Always visible