Roshara Journal: Chronicling Four Seasons,…

Roshara Journal: Chronicling Four Seasons, Fifty Years, and 120 Acres (2016)

by Jerry Apps

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book is full of gorgeous photographs, wonderful anedotes and a wonderful rural feel. I will be buying a copy as a gift for my dad. ( )
  cubsfan3410 | Oct 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a beautiful book, both the writing and the photography. It chronicles 50 years on a family's weekend hobby farm, arranged by season so you get a look at mid-April weather in years both balmy and blizzard-ridden. By the time I finished the book I felt a great deal of affection for both the family and their enchanting acreage. Wisconsin is the landscape and the climate of my childhood and the images and narrative brought back multitudes of warm memories. However, more than the memories, Roshara Journal made me want to create a similar record of our own land on which our children grew up and which now is the home of our grandchildren. I'm about 25 years late starting! ( )
  muumi | Oct 3, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Very nice book. App's kept a diary of the last fifty years spent on his farm in Wisconsin. The entries are broken down into the four seasons. They really stirred my own memories, having grown up in the same part of Wisconsin, and having experienced many, many of the same experiences.
The book also contains many beautiful photographs of the farm, in all four seasons, taken by the author's son.
A great trip down memory lane!
I received an advance copy of this book in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  1Randal | Aug 5, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
For anyone who has lived in the same place for a few decades and watched how it has changed, this book is for you. These are the photos you wish you would have taken, the observations you would have written and the legacy you wished you had left behind.

The father and son team who put this book together give you a sense of place, their place, that will last as long as the book is in someone's hands - long after they are both gone.

Beautiful photography, insightful journal entries and a slow passing of time fill these pages.

Definitely a must read for anyone who loves the place they live and want to see how you can preserve it for others. ( )
  ShawnMarie | Aug 1, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I got this book from the early reviewer program and I was more than pleased with it. The photos were brilliant and I loved the way the journal entrees were presented. I would recommend this book to just about anybody, it's a very quick reed and if you are anything like me it will tug at your heart a fair bit. I am in the process of transforming 15 acres of land into a small homestead so this book hit very close to home for me. I have looked at the book three times already and have shared it with several members of my family, My wife was brought to tears imagining our story being captured like this, the book is truly beautiful and has inspired us so much. We are going to start keeping a journal in hopes of creating something similar to this to share with the world. ( )
  aardeng | Aug 1, 2016 |

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0870207636, Hardcover)

A photographic diary of a small Midwestern farm and the family who’ve made it their home

In Roshara Journal, father-and-son team Jerry and Steve Apps share the monthly happenings at their family’s farm in central Wisconsin. Featuring Steve’s stunning photos and fifty years of Jerry’s journal entries, Roshara Journal captures the changes—both from month to month and over the decades—on the landscape and farmstead.

The Apps family has owned Roshara since 1966. There they nurture a prairie restoration and pine plantation, maintain a large garden that feeds three generations, observe wildlife species by the dozens, and support a population of endangered butterflies. In documenting life on this piece of land, Jerry and Steve remind us how, despite the pace and challenges of modern life, the seasons continue to influence our lives in ways large and small. Jerry explains that his journal entries become much more than mere observations: "It seems that when I write about something—a bur oak tree, for example—that old tree becomes a part of me. . . . Writing takes me to a place that goes beyond observation and understanding, a place filled with feeling and meaning."

In the tradition of Bernd Heinrich in Maine, Barry Lopez in the Canadian Arctic, and Aldo Leopold just an hour down the road in Baraboo, Jerry and Steve Apps combine observation, experience, and reflection to tell a profound story about one place in the world.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:34:18 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Jerry Apps's book Roshara Journal was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 129,005,621 books! | Top bar: Always visible