Dragon Bones by Lisa See

Dragon Bones (2003)

by Lisa See

Recently added byAmusedbythis, vnesting, mdortch, wolfsbruder, ushatten, fed_pratt, LB121100, ltcl, private library

thoroughly enjoyable international thriller novel. great history/cultural details. I thought the murder details were unnecessarily grisly. but it was definitely a great follow up to the other two books in the series. her plots are very inventive I think and as one writer wrote on the back "documentary social detail that reeks of freshly raked muck." All of her books are flawed and only borderline believable but they are so interesting I don't care. I like mysteries that teach me something I don't know and Lisa See's books definitely do this. ( )
  sumariotter | Nov 2, 2011 |
This is third in a series featuring Liu Hulan, of which I read the first one (Flower Net) and skipped the second (The Interior). You really don't need to have read either of the first two to be able to follow this one.

As the story opens, Hulan is quasi-estranged from her husband after the death of their little daughter from bacterial meningitis. As a police detective, Hulan has been working on a case involving a group called the All-Patriotic Society, and at the beginning of this book, she attends a rally being held by this illegal group. One of the members is a bit overzealous and decides to kill her daughter, but Hulan shoots her. She finds herself the target of threats, so her superiors send her off to investigate the death of an archaeologist working an excavation near where the Three Gorges Dam is built. David, her American husband, is also sent there to investigate the removal of cultural relics from the country. But a bizarre murder later, both David and Hulan find themselves in a great deal of danger.

The core story is very good, a fine mystery and a good look at the pros and cons of the building of the Three Gorges Dam. I understand that this is a part of a series and that it focuses on the character of Liu Hulan, but it was a bit too romantic for my tastes. The end was a bit over the top as well, a bit too melodramatic for me. However, I'd definitely recommend the book to others, including those who are following the series, to readers interested in China, and to readers who like mysteries in an archaeological setting.

bcquinnsmom | Nov 19, 2008 |
Weak dialogue, weak story, lots of mythology that I didn’t understand. I wouldn’t recommend it. ( )
1 vote drpeff | Jul 16, 2007 |
The man was dead by the time his body hit the swirling muddy waters of the Yangzi River just below the first of the Three Gorges.

In a magnificent land where myth mixes treacherously with truth, one woman is in charge of telling them apart. Liu Hulan is the Inspector in China’s Ministry of Public Security whose tough style rousts wrongdoers and rubs her superiors the wrong way. Now her latest case finds her trapped between her country’s distant past and her own recent history.

The case starts at a rally for a controversial cult that ends suddenly in bloodshed, and leads to the apparent murder of an American archaeologist, which officials want to keep quiet. And haunting Hulan’s investigation is the possible theft of ancient dragon bones that might alter the history of civilization itself.

Getting to the bottom of ever-spiraling events, Hulan unearths more scandals, confronts more murderers, and revives tragic memories that shake her tormented marriage to its core. In the end, she solves a mystery as big, unruly, and complex as China itself.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:24:14 -0400)

When the body of an American archaeologist is found floating in the Yangzi River, Ministry of Public Security agent Liu Hulan and her husband, American attorney David Stark, are dispatched to Site 518 to investigate. As Hulan scrutinizes his death, David, on behalf of the National Relics Bureau, tries to discover who has stolen from the site an artifact that may prove to the world China's claim that it is the oldest uninterrupted civilization on earth.… (more)

Lisa See is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 93,983,409 books! | Top bar: Always visible