Ten Seeds by Ruth Brown

Ten Seeds

by Ruth Brown

11912151,953 (4.19)None

This book was creative in counting numbers. It starts off with 10 seeds and ends up as 1 flower, which produces 10 more seeds. I liked how this book counting backwards instead of forward.
The illustrations were a little scary and too realistic. That rat picture Ugh! ( )
  mskathyphan | Nov 29, 2018 |
I didn't really understand what this book was trying to show except maybe how numbers relate to each other, but even with that the sizes of things didn't relate. I really enjoyed how it was illustrated, though I don't see myself using this particular book. ( )
  MeganSchneider | Apr 18, 2017 |
Ten Seeds is an interactive counting book that doubles as a way to teach children about the life cycle of a flower. The book begins with ten seeds, then counts them down as different environmental factors eventually leave only one remaining flower. These environmental factors range from small animals stealing seeds to a baseball accidentally landing on a small plant. Each of these factors is counted as well, allowing for an additional lesson in subtraction. Between the educational aspects and the colorful illustrations, I would consider this to be an a great book to use as a means of practicing counting with children. ( )
  Jacki_H | Nov 27, 2016 |
What a great and entertaining book to help show students what all happens to seeds that eventually become flowers! I would absolutely love to read this to my students and possibly include a science lesson with having the students getting to plant their own seeds to see what happens and if it goes along with the book. Great informational book as well as fun ways to include an activity that goes along with it.
  MacyMoonshower | Oct 16, 2016 |
This is a great book to read to a child who is learning about numbers. It's a very brief book that helps children with numbers and it also gives a chance to talk about the different things that are mentioned. (Ex. buds, greenflies, shoots) ( )
  kdufrene | Mar 25, 2015 |

"Ten seeds–one ant. Nine seeds–one pigeon. Eight seeds–one mouse. . . .”
Watch the countdown as seeds and plants disappear until just one beautiful flower remains.

Keep your eyes on the garden as ten seeds are planted, but only one beautiful flower blooms. Thanks to one ant, one mouse, one pigeon, and lots of other creatures (making a total of nine to be exact!), seeds go missing, and plants get eaten. All except the last, which grows a majestic flower and then drops ten seeds so the cycle can begin anew.

In this fresh new take on counting concepts, Ruth Brown uses her lush artwork to showcase the life of a garden as she counts down from ten to one. Ten Seeds, with its light humor and spare text, is a perfect bridge for toddlers and preschoolers ready to step up to more sophisticated stories.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:17:31 -0400)

A lesson in simple subtraction is combined with the growth of plants. 10 seeds are planted but, thanks to one ant, one mouse, one pigeon and several other creatures, seeds go missing and plants get eaten, except one.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 135,565,741 books! | Top bar: Always visible