The Red Book (Caldecott Honor Book) by…

The Red Book (Caldecott Honor Book) (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Barbara Lehman

Title:The Red Book (Caldecott Honor Book)
Authors:Barbara Lehman
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2004), Edition: None, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:easy, picture book, student, kid, school, imagination, island, city, k-3

The Red Book by Barbara Lehman (2004)

"The Red Book" is full of beautiful and detailed illustrations that make it easy to understand what it happening in the story. It is all over a little red book that is found in New York, and two children find themselves looking in the book, looking at one another. This is a fun interactive book for young children to engage in conversation about the meaning for each picture. ( )
  clp055 | Oct 15, 2016 |
In my opinion, this is a good book to start out with kindergarteners and ELL's. The Red Book is a wordless picture book about two friends traveling the world to meet each other. Through pictures, the child (or mentor) is allowed to make up his or her own story. The characters are very well-developed and vivid. For example, you can clearly tell that the girl is the main character by the way she is focused in on the illustrations. She is often on the page alone, or in class everyone is paying attention and she is doing something else. I think that the plot is very organized. Despite the fact that the child can create his or her own storyline, the overall buildup is how the girl gets the friend who lives in another country (or state). This is great for kids who cannot read yet. The moral of this story is that no matter how different people are, anyone can be friends. ( )
  klane10 | Oct 3, 2016 |
You should never judge a book by its cover. This little girl finds a strange red book in the snow on the way to school, which takes her on the journey of a lifetime. This book with twists and turns - without even uttering a single word, took me on a journey I wouldn't forget. ( )
  rparks | Aug 25, 2016 |
I loved the almost minimalist simplicity of the illustrations. They made it all the more surreal, in my own opinion. Well, as the saying goes, a good book will take a reader on a journey - why couldn't the converse be true? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Jun 6, 2016 |
"The Red Book" is a wordless picture book. I think this book is a great option to read to children simply because they can let their imaginations run wild. They are able to form their own story in their heads of what they believe the illustrator may be trying to tell. Often times during reading circle at the daycare, I have the students tell me about the stories they are reading by only looking at the pictures. I think this is a good strategy. There are a couple of students who are able to pick up certain words on the pages, and others do actually recognize where the words are on the pages. ( )
  cbuquet5 | Apr 10, 2016 |
For My Father

This book is about a book. A magical red book without any words. When you turn the pages you’ll experience a new kind of adventure through the power of story.Winning a Caldecott Honor for its illustrations of rare detail and surprise, The Red Book crosses oceans and continents to deliver one girl into a new world of possibility, where a friend she’s never met is waiting. And as with the best of books, at the conclusion of the story, the journey is not over.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:27 -0400)

A book about a book, a magical red book, without any words, and the friendship that develops around it.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,785,125 books! | Top bar: Always visible