The Red Book (Caldecott Honor Book) by…

The Red Book (Caldecott Honor Book) (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Barbara Lehman

Member:crfonten
Title:The Red Book (Caldecott Honor Book)
Authors:Barbara Lehman
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2004), Edition: None, Hardcover, 32 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:easy, picture book, student, kid, school, imagination, island, city, k-3

The Red Book by Barbara Lehman (2004)

The Red Book is a wordless picture book and a Caldecott Honor book. I'll be honest, I didn't really enjoy it. I just kept imagining reading this with either of my sons and them asking me how the book could be in 2 places and how the magic of it might work, and getting frustrated when I couldn't come up with an answer that satisfied them (wormholes and space/time flux explainations might play out, but no guarantees). It just didn't resonate with me. It does have some potential, for me, as a tool to introduce how much we can learn just from making inferences from the pictures that might go along with a text. ( )
  TaraKennedy | Jan 22, 2015 |
This strictly picture book demonstrates that words are always not needed when trying to tell a story. It was a wonderful plot of showing that books can open up children's minds to new worlds and information. The Red Book shows us that when we read, we discover things that we may have never known before. Not all books need words to explain what is going on in a story, a picture can be worth a thousand words when used in the right context. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this book, proving that a great story line can develop from any type of content. ( )
  amartino1208 | Jan 20, 2015 |
This is unique as it tells a story with only pictures. I really love this concept for struggling readers. This special books will allow struggling readers to write their own stories. I also liked that struggling readers can enjoy literate without have to struggle to get through a book. In my opinion, this book can be used for all ages as struggling readers are of all ages.
  mcnicol_08 | Jan 19, 2015 |
The Red Book emphasizes the power of books and images, and suggests that books can help one discover new people, cultues, and friendships. The girl found a red book,and the images that were inside the book lead her to a new experience. The book allowed the girl to discover a new friend, an island, and inspired her to travel to find a boy that she did not know. The book allowed the girl to see images of what the boy was doing on an island, and she could see that the boy could see her through the same red book in a city. The power of images and books helped the girl and the boy communicate and helped them meet. The girl who has the book drops it and someone else finds it, and it is most likely that the person has a marvellous experience as well. Reading books help one to understand different people, and it helps one to experience new places.
  memaldonado | Jan 17, 2015 |
Book Summary: This book is a virtually wordless picture book. The author only gives a short introduction on the front, inside cover. A little girl finds a book and learns of a faraway place and a little boy who lives there. Eventually she makes her way to her new found friend, losing her book on the journey, which allows the adventure to begin for another little boy.

Personal Reaction: The Red Book is a sweet, thoughtful journey. The absence of words allows the “reader” to tell the story on their own level. As with all good books, you can read this one again and again and find new meaning.

Classroom Extension ideas: Classroom activities for this book could include providing pen pals to the students individually or as a classroom. The students could share pictures, stories and cultures. The teacher can mark the places on a map and globe. The students could also take part in cultural aspects of their pen pals lives. They could try new foods or make traditional art pieces from the culture. Another idea for this book is to have students write their own version of the story. Have students name the characters, describe the characters feelings and inner thoughts. Students could also extend the story. Where does the little boy go? Does he join the other little boy and girl or does the book start anew, with the little boy meeting a new friend? ( )
  Lena_Krenzke | Jan 16, 2015 |
For My Father

This book is about a book. A magical red book without any words. When you turn the pages you’ll experience a new kind of adventure through the power of story.Winning a Caldecott Honor for its illustrations of rare detail and surprise, The Red Book crosses oceans and continents to deliver one girl into a new world of possibility, where a friend she’s never met is waiting. And as with the best of books, at the conclusion of the story, the journey is not over.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:36 -0400)

A book about a book, a magical red book, without any words, and the friendship that develops around it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 95,149,449 books! | Top bar: Always visible