The Red Book (Caldecott Honor Book) by…

The Red Book (Caldecott Honor Book) (original 2004; edition 2004)

by Barbara Lehman

Member:kristengross
Title:The Red Book (Caldecott Honor Book)
Authors:Barbara Lehman
Info:Houghton Mifflin Books for Children (2004), Edition: None, Hardcover, 32 pages
Tags:easy

The Red Book by Barbara Lehman (2004)

This wordless picture book tells the story about a magical, red book. A young girl comes across this book one day while walking to school. In it, she finds the world full of oceans and continents, which opens her eyes to new possibilities. She then finds a young boy that she befriends through the pages in her book. This boy shares the same book that she does and is able to see into her world, too. The young girl travels by balloons to find her new friend and explore this world of possibilities on the way, but loses her red book along the way. She unites with her new friend and leaves the red book.
I did not like this book for a couple of reasons the main one was that is was a wordless picture book. I found this to be very odd and I did not enjoy this book. I think the wordless picture book is an interesting idea but if we are trying to teach a child to read the teacher should use a book with words. On the contrary this book could be a great story to have students think abstractly or use the pictures as context clues to read the story. That is what I thought about this book.
  Ekelle8 | Feb 23, 2015 |
This is actually my very first picture book! Surprisingly, I would never thought I would enjoy this book as much as I did for my age! I think it is a perfect picture book to introduce to little kids. I couldn't believe that you can get so much information from the illustration. This book let the audience interpret their own meaning of the story. I would definitely share this cute little book to my class in the future. ( )
  tramtran | Jan 31, 2015 |
The Red Book is a wordless picture book and a Caldecott Honor book. I'll be honest, I didn't really enjoy it. I just kept imagining reading this with either of my sons and them asking me how the book could be in 2 places and how the magic of it might work, and getting frustrated when I couldn't come up with an answer that satisfied them (wormholes and space/time flux explainations might play out, but no guarantees). It just didn't resonate with me. It does have some potential, for me, as a tool to introduce how much we can learn just from making inferences from the pictures that might go along with a text. ( )
  TaraKennedy | Jan 22, 2015 |
This strictly picture book demonstrates that words are always not needed when trying to tell a story. It was a wonderful plot of showing that books can open up children's minds to new worlds and information. The Red Book shows us that when we read, we discover things that we may have never known before. Not all books need words to explain what is going on in a story, a picture can be worth a thousand words when used in the right context. Overall I thoroughly enjoyed this book, proving that a great story line can develop from any type of content. ( )
  amartino1208 | Jan 20, 2015 |
This is unique as it tells a story with only pictures. I really love this concept for struggling readers. This special books will allow struggling readers to write their own stories. I also liked that struggling readers can enjoy literate without have to struggle to get through a book. In my opinion, this book can be used for all ages as struggling readers are of all ages.
  mcnicol_08 | Jan 19, 2015 |
For My Father

This book is about a book. A magical red book without any words. When you turn the pages you’ll experience a new kind of adventure through the power of story.Winning a Caldecott Honor for its illustrations of rare detail and surprise, The Red Book crosses oceans and continents to deliver one girl into a new world of possibility, where a friend she’s never met is waiting. And as with the best of books, at the conclusion of the story, the journey is not over.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:50:36 -0400)

A book about a book, a magical red book, without any words, and the friendship that develops around it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 96,251,377 books! | Top bar: Always visible