The Red Book by Barbara Lehman

The Red Book (original 2004; edition 2005)

by Barbara Lehman

Member:ashoemak
Title:The Red Book
Authors:Barbara Lehman
Info:Scholastic (2005), Hardcover, 36 pages
Rating:*****
Tags:Easy, K-3, Books, Reading, Friendship

The Red Book by Barbara Lehman (2004)

This Caldecott Honor book is the story of a girl and a red book she finds on the sidewalk, and the power of imagination to transport you far, far away.
  aartik | Jul 3, 2015 |
I loved the almost minimalist simplicity of the illustrations. They made it all the more surreal, in my own opinion. Well, as the saying goes, a good book will take a reader on a journey - why couldn't the converse be true? ( )
  Cheryl_in_CC_NV | Apr 14, 2015 |
I never thought a book with no words could be so great. This book allows readers to interpret their own story, and left a class of college students guessing what would happen next. There are no words to define the character's traits or thoughts, only illustrations, definitely teaches the power of pictures. ( )
  kitbraddick | Apr 5, 2015 |
This wordless picture book tells the story about a magical, red book. A young girl comes across this book one day while walking to school. In it, she finds the world full of oceans and continents, which opens her eyes to new possibilities. She then finds a young boy that she befriends through the pages in her book. This boy shares the same book that she does and is able to see into her world, too. The young girl travels by balloons to find her new friend and explore this world of possibilities on the way, but loses her red book along the way. She unites with her new friend and leaves the red book.
I did not like this book for a couple of reasons the main one was that is was a wordless picture book. I found this to be very odd and I did not enjoy this book. I think the wordless picture book is an interesting idea but if we are trying to teach a child to read the teacher should use a book with words. On the contrary this book could be a great story to have students think abstractly or use the pictures as context clues to read the story. That is what I thought about this book.
  Ekelle8 | Feb 23, 2015 |
This is actually my very first picture book! Surprisingly, I would never thought I would enjoy this book as much as I did for my age! I think it is a perfect picture book to introduce to little kids. I couldn't believe that you can get so much information from the illustration. This book let the audience interpret their own meaning of the story. I would definitely share this cute little book to my class in the future. ( )
  tramtran | Jan 31, 2015 |
For My Father

This book is about a book. A magical red book without any words. When you turn the pages you’ll experience a new kind of adventure through the power of story.Winning a Caldecott Honor for its illustrations of rare detail and surprise, The Red Book crosses oceans and continents to deliver one girl into a new world of possibility, where a friend she’s never met is waiting. And as with the best of books, at the conclusion of the story, the journey is not over.

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:19:27 -0400)

A book about a book, a magical red book, without any words, and the friendship that develops around it.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 98,420,886 books! | Top bar: Always visible