The Long Count: A John Q Mystery by JM…

The Long Count: A John Q Mystery

by JM Gulvin

The Long Count, the first book of JM Gulvin's masterful new crime series, we meet Ranger John Quarrie as he is called to the scene of an apparent suicide by a fellow war veteran. Although the local police want the case shut down, John Q is convinced that events aren’t quite so straightforward.” .. GoodReads.
Wow, what an excellent crime thriller. I had set this aside while I tried to catch up with other books that were about to expire at the library. BOY oh BOY, after finishing reading this psychological thriller, I am sorry I set it aside in the beginning. Once I was able to continue following the gunslinging-Texas ranger footsteps' of John Q, I could not put it down.
The Long Count is set in the 1960’s: Americans were protesting the Vietnam War, a president was assassinated and there were many civil rights issues unresolved. The story begins with John Q and his friend Pious, fishing. They come about a discovery of human remains. However John Q is quickly called across the state of Texas to investigate another crime.
I do not want to reveal any more plots and details. This crime thriller is well written. The descriptive writing style is phenomenal. JM Gulvin has spread out clues throughout the read that keeps your fingers flipping the pages, similar to flipping your smartphone on the pokeman app. The clues are all linked together at the end. JM Gulvin had me surprised at the results. I would definitely recommend this read.
Bring on book two,,,please.!!!
I received this book from TripFiction in exchange for an honest review. BTW., head on over to http://www.tripfiction.com/thiller-se... for an interview with the author. ( )
  WanderRoxyBooks | Sep 1, 2016 |
The Long Count – The First in a New Series

An atmospheric introduction to a new detective and a for me a new American law enforcement agency. The most I had ever known about the Texas Rangers was from Chuck Norris and Walker, Texas Ranger.

We are taken back to the late 1960s when America was in the middle of an identity crisis, one President assassinated and his replacement had led them to the Vietnam war. The draft was in the process of taking many away to the killing fields abroad. At home there were demonstrations to end the war and search for a peaceful end to the killing.

John Quarrie a Korean War veteran, better known around the state as John Q is a single father to James but fortunately has a support system around him for when he is away. John Q is given an investigation over in Marion County, well outside his normal area, but other Rangers are down in Austin trying to police the anti-Vietnam demonstrations.

On his way to Marion County he answers a call from a local Police Department and answers their call to find a World War 2 veteran who seems to have committed suicide and the local Police want to close the investigation down. John Q is not so convinced about the suicide and so begins a series of events that lead him down some very dark roads.

When the man’s son Isaac returns from Vietnam, he too, is not convinced that his father would commit suicide, but rather murdered. John Q starts an investigation in to a series of violent incidents that happened around the area and this included at a local Mental Health facility that had been burnt to the ground.

Things are not helped by the disappearance of Ishmael from the facility that had been torched, things are not helped in that there was no reason for him to be there because he had not committed any crime. What was clear all those that had interacted with Ishmael were turning up dead with quite violent deaths.

John Q knows that he is a desperate race against time to solve the mystery of what has happened to Ishmael while at the same time do justice to those murdered victims. At the same John Q has to unravel the hidden secrets of Isaac’s family and knows he needs to get to the truth before more people die.

This is a wonderfully atmospheric whodunit and the story drips of the time and the prose is clear and crisp and you feel as if you are there. John Q is a brilliantly tenacious investigator who knows what he is looking at even when others are trying to get him looking in other directions.

This really is an excellent introduction to a new Police hero, a man that never gives up, and that John Q is someone who grows on you. It will be interesting to see how this character will develop from here, one of the great skills of the author JM Gulvin is a master of scene setting and getting characters that get under your skin. At the same time, he is a magician able to use a slight of hand so that you do not see the twists coming.

A great start, and I cannot wait to see how John Q develops. ( )
  atticusfinch1048 | Jun 6, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers

JM Gulvin's book The Long Count is currently available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 115,327,616 books! | Top bar: Always visible