The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking by…

The Essentials of Classic Italian Cooking (1992)

by Marcella Hazan

Mastering the Art of French Cooking (Volume One) by Julia Child (sturlington)
    sturlington: If you have both these cookbooks, then you have everything you need to know about cooking French and Italian food.

Short of having an Italian grandmother, this is it. ( )
  bunwat | Mar 30, 2013 |
When I moved abroad, I took to books with me. This was one. The other was a dictionary. ( )
  Hermias | May 11, 2012 |
After cooking out of this book for a while, I have come to believe that it is the only Italian cookbook I really need. The pasta sauces in particular are all excellent and not difficult to execute. The vegetable sides and salad recipes are also classic and scrumptious. I use this book both for everyday cooking and special meals, and it hasn't let me down yet. ( )
  sturlington | Mar 12, 2012 |
If you have any interest at all in cooking Italian, Marcella can do it for you! Her recipes are straightforward and easy to follow. And the results are dependable. Think pork roast braised in red wine. Lamb with pancetta. Chicken with rosemary and garlic. sigh. ( )
  dianaleez | Feb 17, 2009 |
I am a Marcella devotee, and I think I have all of her cookbooks. This one is an update of Marcella's first two "Classic" cookbooks. It's good, but not as good as it could be--it's missing some of my favorite recipes. Despite that, if you can afford only one Italian cookbook, make it this one. ( )
  IreneF | Sep 30, 2008 |
Preface:  Those who are acquainted with The Classic Italian Cook Book and Classic Italian Cooking may well wonder what those recipes are doing here, between a single pair of covers.

Amazon.com Amazon.com Review (ISBN 039458404X, Hardcover)

Perhaps more than any other person, Marcella Hazan is responsible for bringing Italian cuisine into the homes of American cooks. We're not talking spaghetti and meatballs here--Hazan's cuisine consists of polenta, risotto, squid braised with tomatoes and white wine, sautéed swiss chard with olive oil and garlic.... Twenty years ago, when Hazan first exploded into the American consciousness with The Classic Italian Cook Book and More Classic Italian Cooking, such recipes were revolutionary. With time, however, these classic dishes have become much-beloved family favorites.

Now a new generation is ready to be introduced to Marcella Hazan's way with food, and in Essentials of Italian Cooking Hazan combines her two earlier works into one update and expanded volume. In addition to the delicious collection of recipes, this book serves as a basic manual for cooks of every skill level. Recipes have been revised to reduce fat content, and a whole new chapter full of fundamental information about herbs, spices, and cheeses used in Italian kitchens--as well as details on how to select specific ingredients--has been added. New chapters, new recipes--who could ask for more than Essentials of Italian Cooking?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 14:01:04 -0400)

Provides regional and traditional recipes for vegetables, salads, desserts and fruits, homemade pasta, and sauces.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 94,484,035 books! | Top bar: Always visible