Small Admissions by Amy Poeppel

Small Admissions

by Amy Poeppel

1199101,247 (3.8)9

This was really excellent: I enjoyed everything about it - the humour, the characters, the happy ending. The parts relating to the private school admissions prospects were entertaining, but at least half the pages were devoted to Kate finding her way in the world generally.

The best book I have read for ages. ( )
  pgchuis | Mar 26, 2018 |
While I'm all about quirkiness, this story was not doing it for me. I don't think it had to do with the story itself. It was more that I really did not like the main character. Here's the thing, I don't mind characters that are a little bit bumbling or caught up in their own world. But Kate is a whole different story. Maybe it's because I am an older sister and identified more with the character of Angela (Kate's sister), but I found Kate exasperating. She literally did nothing to help herself, and made everyone else do things for her. I understand that an undergraduate degree does not always lead to the job in the area you want, and doesn't always give you the skills you need to transition into something else ... but you have to have some basic common sense! How do you not know how to dress for an interview or even how TO interview?! I get it, she was despondent and depressed ... but it just irked me how she was so confused about everything in life, and literally knows NOTHING about how the world works. Where have you been living for so long, under a rock?! Sorry, I usually don't get so ramped up but it just got too much, so much so that I couldn't really enjoy the story, which was actually kind of funny. There are quite a few people who did enjoy this novel so I might be just an anomaly, but this book really did not work for me. I'm going to have to give this one a 1/5 stars.

For more reviews, visit: www.veereading.wordpress.com ( )
  veeshee | Jan 29, 2018 |
Very funny account of a failed graduate student who becomes an admissions officer at a private school. ( )
  olegalCA | Dec 3, 2017 |
Took me a little longer than usual to get into the story of this book, but I'm glad I stuck it out. Some moments of amusement and also insight, such as the picture below from about 3/4 through the book:

"At every meal in Deutschland they ask if you want your water flat or "mit gas." You, my dear, are flat. Kate has gas. We need both kinds. We need loan analysts as well as carbonated people who jazz around. the bubbles may look out of control, but ultimately they know in which direction they're going." ( )
  bookczuk | Aug 5, 2017 |
A chick lit like I haven't read in a while.

Kate's best friend and her sister are very worried about her since a terrible breakup. It's not until she finally got a job—must have been some mistake!—that she can finally show signs of recovery. Even if her academia self doesn't seem to agree with assisting admissions to 12-year-olds at a school, the match couldn't be more perfect.

This was very uplifting and still relatable. The type of story in which everything goes wrong, and the main character can't help herself back up—and even us readers are at a loss of what to do.

I mainly enjoyed the characters. They seem too many in the beginning but as you warm up to the book, you really can't wait for their dialogues. These were the story's forte. Also, the way their stories crossed one another time and again was quite amusing.

The author attempted a different approach, rotating points of view of Kate's, her friends' and her sister's, using that to introduce the side stories. In my opinion, however, this wasn't that well executed; it took me too long to get into the story as each character would pop up here and there. Too much happening and too little seeming to matter. I felt too distanced from Kate to care because of that. Still, with time, I could finally enjoy it as a whole.

While I feel the author could have made an excellent job of being the next Cabot or Kinsella, and it's been a while since I though anyone had it in her, this book fell short. The reading had great moments and I ended it with a good feeling that this was somehow memorable. On the other had, the beginning was too slow—as I mentioned, I felt too distant from the main character to care—and even in the middle the book still had ups and downs, as well as too many unnecessary scenes just for the wit. Truthfully, the ending was also too long, to a point I forgot I still hadn't finished it.

Good, feel-good book but needs edition. Nevertheless, I look forward to this author's next works. As it can only get better, I certainly want to read them.

Honest review based on an ARC provided by Netgalley. Many thanks to the publisher for this opportunity. ( )
  AnnaBastos | Jun 13, 2017 |
She wanted to die, and she wanted to live in Paris. Gustave Flaubert, Madame Bovary
Above all, be the heroine of your life, not the victim...
It will be a little messy, but embrace the mess.
It will be complicated, but rejoice in the complications.
It will not be anything like what you think it will be like, but surprises are good.
Nora Ephron, Wellesley commencement, 1996
For one whole year, we worried about Kate.

"Kate is a young woman who is unexpectedly thrust into the cutthroat world of New York City private school admissions as she attempts to understand city life, human nature, and falling in love"--

HighBridge Audio

An edition of this book was published by HighBridge Audio.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,443,643 books! | Top bar: Always visible