Girl Unbroken: A Sister's Harrowing Story of…

Girl Unbroken: A Sister's Harrowing Story of Survival from the Streets of…

by Regina Calcaterra, Rosie Maloney

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book somewhat slow moving and lost interest in it at first. Had to wait awhile and go back to it to finish. Storyline didn't keep my intrigue. I would probably recommend this book to someone else.Overall, the writing was good. ( )
  KWoman | Mar 28, 2017 |
Llong book but a great read. Many hardships in this book. ( )
  tamarack804 | Mar 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I checked out "Etched in Sand" from the library when I found out that LibraryThing was going to be sending me this book. It's so profoundly disturbing that it's hard to right about it. Rosie is quite a survivor and I hope her book will open people's eyes to the plight of children who are abused. ( )
  eliorajoy | Sep 2, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Girl Unbroken is a sequel of sorts to Etched in Sand, co written by Regina Calcaterra, who wrote the first book, and her sister Rosie Maloney. It is a true and harrowing story of Rosie's life after she is separated from her three sisters, as she and her next oldest brother Norm go into foster care, but soon thereafter are kidnapped by their mother, Cookie and taken to Idaho. Cookie is a serious alcoholic and abuses Rosie physically and emotionally and eventually lives with a man who abuses Rosie sexually. Rosie and Norm are forced to perform extreme labor on the farm and live in a house which is filthy and disgusting. Somehow Norm does seem to avoid the brunt of the abuse, while Rosie is the scapegoat for almost all of it. Although hard to read from the perspective of all the abuse, the story is riveting and compelling. Somehow with a few good folks in Rosie's life, she survives and eventually thrives.

The family circumstances didn't surprise me, but what did is the failure of so many people and agencies that did not help Rosie. The foster home was extremely abusive, but somehow was licensed and allowed to operate. Having worked in child welfare for over 35 years, I found this appalling. Then once Rosie and her brother were in Cookie's care, not school personnel, not medical personnel, not friends, not neighbors, not even the sheriff to whom abuse was reported, came to the children's aid or assistance. These children were failed again and again, over a period of about eight years. Very hard to believe. ( )
  Micheller7 | Sep 1, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Girl Unbroken by Regina Calcaterra and Rosie Maloney is a true story written about what it is like to grow up being abused physically and sexually. Parent Advisory highly needed as the author uses explicit language throughout the entire book. It also involves living with a mother addicted to drugs, alcohol, and sex. This book states that it is a story about survival on the streets to the farms. In my opinion, these sisters accomplished what they set out to tell. These sisters are bringing awareness to the physical and sexual abuse that is going on today. The starvation that comes with alcohol and substance abuse. They are bringing to life the view point of the victim and the mental and physiological abuse that comes with the physical abuse.
These authors are qualified to write on this topic, because they were the victims themselves. They are not trying to tell you what they think would happen, they are telling you exactly what happened during these times. The story is told in first person point of view, so you know exactly how the victim is feeling.

There were a few spots that you wanted the author to go into more detail and then there a few spots that you wanted the author to move on. Overall I feel the story was compelling and I had a hard time putting it down. ( )
  angelhaileyc | Aug 29, 2016 |

Regina Calcaterraprimary authorall editionscalculated
Maloney, Rosiemain authorall editionsconfirmed
You have to walk that lonesome Road. You have to walk it by yourself. And there's nobody whose going to walk it for you. - R. Calcaterra (age 9)
To Rosie Mia Bambina Amore, Je T'amie - Gi
To Daniel, Alexis, and Brody I am reminded daily that you are reasons why I persevered. You have blessed me with boundless happiness and I honored that I get to be the one that you call Mom. - with unconditional love, Mom (Rosie)
We were five kids with five different fathers - one jailed and then dead, one missing, and three unknown.
She made herself stronger by fighting with the wind.

In the highly anticipated sequel to her New York Times bestseller Etched in Sand, Regina Calcaterra pairs with her youngest sister Rosie to tell Rosie’s harrowing, yet ultimately triumphant, story of childhood abuse and survival.

They were five kids with five different fathers and an alcoholic mother who left them to fend for themselves for weeks at a time. Yet through it all they had each other. Rosie, the youngest, is fawned over and shielded by her older sister, Regina. Their mother, Cookie, blows in and out of their lives “like a hurricane, blind and uncaring to everything in her path.”

But when Regina emancipates herself as a minor and escapes, her siblings are separated. And as Rosie discovers after Cookie kidnaps her from foster care, the one thing worse than being abandoned by her mother is living in Cookie’s presence. Beaten physically, abused emotionally, and forced to labor at the farm where Cookie settles in Idaho, Rosie refuses to give in. Like her sister Regina, Rosie has an unfathomable strength in the face of unimaginable hardship—enough to propel her out of Idaho and out of a nightmare.

Filled with maturity and grace, Rosie’s memoir continues the compelling story begun in Etched in Sand—a shocking yet profoundly moving testament to sisterhood and indomitable courage.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:35:55 -0400)

"They were five kids with five different fathers and an alcoholic mother who left them to fend for themselves for weeks at a time. Yet through it all they had each other. Rosie, the youngest, is fawned over and shielded by her older sister, Regina. Their mother, Cookie, blows in and out of their lives 'like a hurricane, blind and uncaring to everything in her path'. But when Regina discloses the truth about her abusive mother to her social worker, she is separated from her younger siblings Norman and Rosie. And as Rosie discovers after Cookie kidnaps her from foster care, the one thing worse than being abandoned by her mother is living in Cookie's presence."--provided by publisher.… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Regina Calcaterra's book Girl Unbroken was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,428,119 books! | Top bar: Always visible