Hockey Tough 2nd Edition by Saul Miller

Hockey Tough 2nd Edition

by Saul Miller

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book as an early reviewer from Librarything.com. Though I am not a professional hockey player, I am involved in professional hockey. This is a great book for a player who is struggling with their mental game. Mental game is a must if you plan to eventually play in the big game. I highly recommend for hockey coaches who play a big part in player development. ( )
  Judes316 | Nov 23, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I am not a hockey player, but I appreciated the broad range of tips offered by this book. I am also in the camp that Sidney Crosby should not be on the cover, as the wide ranging appeal of said book gets a bit sideways when you support one specific player or team. That being said, if you want to find appeal in this book beyond the corners of the ice, you can view it without the hockey material and just plain good advice on life. ( )
  kristincedar | Aug 5, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an copy of this book from the LibraryThing Early Reviewers program.
I'm not a hockey player (anymore). I'm not going to make the NHL, but damn, did I start to have creeping thoughts of entering the 2017 draft.
If this book had been around when I was a young hockey player, I would have devoured every single bit of it, dreaming of skating with Cam Neely and Adam Oates. I would have practiced my breathing, focused on my goals, and had a more level-headed approach to playing the game.
There is a fair amount of repetition of the core concepts that Saul Miller preaches, but I think that's because (as he says up front) he intends for you to skip around the book a bit, pick up a few chapters here and there, do the homework he assigns, and then come back to chapters as need be. The real life anecdotes from players help inspire kids and give them a target.
As a volleyball coach (and former player), I think he's got a lot of great stuff in here to mine for athletes of all stripes -- it doesn't have to just be hockey tough, though the sport certainly has more of a rep for toughness than, say, volleyball.
The only two issues I have with the book is 1) a minor one, but my first impulse, warranted or not, is to chuckle a little at a book with Sidney Crosby on the cover labeled Hockey Tough. Now, I know they guy is tougher than I am, but as a non-Pittsburgh fan our impression of Sid is not exactly tough. Unfair, I know. The second, more major issue, is that Matt Cooke is in the "Checking Tough" chapter. His on-ice behavior and the way he carries himself is no model for younger players and that type of dirty, over the edge play shouldn't be rewarded with any kind of spotlight.
But that was my only issue, and it came late in the book. Overall this was an excellent primer on an oft-neglected side of training for any kind of sport. ( )
1 vote mhanlon | Aug 3, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Saul Miller's book Hockey Tough was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 125,539,971 books! | Top bar: Always visible