The Invasive Species: In Which Molly Deals…

The Invasive Species: In Which Molly Deals With GMOs,the Paleo Diet, the…

by Frankie Bow

Shame on me.

I received Invasive Species for free as part of LibraryThing's Early Reviewer program, started reading it, then NEVER POSTED THE FREAKING REVIEW. Please tell me that other people do crap like this.

Anyway, without further ado, my thoughts on Invasive Species.

I didn't finish it.

It wasn't bad, but I didn't read the description closely enough and had no idea it was the fourth book of a series. The story stood well enough on its own that I probably could have powered through and finished it, but I wasn't feeling anything for any of the characters, since I didn't really know them, and Bow wasn't spending her time explaining them for me. This is no fault of hers, since she's spent -- you know -- three books doing so, but it was still enough to make me not want to read. It was like jumping into the middle of a well-established conversation with total strangers.

If Invasive Species sounds interesting to you, first go back and read the first book of the series, The Case of the Defunct Adjunct.

This review has been cross-posted to my blog, TheChronicHobbyist.wordpress.com
  shulera1 | Sep 28, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Professor Molly Barda and her friend and university colleague, Emma, have secured a grant that will help Molly's tenure bid. When they arrive at a remote location to interview a farmer for their grant research, they instead discover a dismembered body. Since their research involves the biotech industry and genetically modified food, a “hot” topic these days, there's a possibility that the murder could be related to their research. They agree to suspend their project until the murder is solved, but that's easier said than done. On the domestic front, Molly and her new husband, Donnie, have maintained separate households since their marriage. When Molly's house is damaged in a storm, she temporarily moves into Donnie's home and into closer proximity to her obnoxious stepson, Davison. When another death takes place, Davison becomes a primary suspect. Molly needs to figure out the motive behind the murders so that her life can get back to normal both at work and at home.

This is the third book I've read in this series, and it's the best yet. The mysteries are the weak spot in the series, but the mystery plot has improved in this installment. The circumstances of one of the deaths is very similar to one of the deaths in The Cursed Canoe, but it works better in this story. Molly's husband is more integral to the story in this one, and I'm finally warming to him now that I've learned more about him. I love the humor in the series, which is often connected to university politics. The Hawaiian setting is still a draw as well. This is a series that many cozy mystery readers would enjoy.

This review is based on a complimentary electronic copy provided by the publisher through LibraryThing's Early Reviewers program. ( )
  cbl_tn | Aug 28, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received this book for free as an early reviewer. Unfortunately I did not realize that this is part of a series and felt that the author had not really introduced the main character or the setting in any detail. No doubt starting from the beginning would be better. It is a very light murder mystery filled with quirky characters. I would have liked to have seen the author add more Hawaiian culture, setting and environmental info to the story. ( )
  Joan.Cobb | Aug 2, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Molly Barda has to wade through her university departmental politics, deal with a difficult adult step-son, and worry about her housing arrangements. Meanwhile there is a local murder.
I had read the previous book in the series, and while I liked this one more, I probably won't bother with the rest of the series.

The location and Hawaiian vibe are great. I work at a university too so the money issues and departmental shenanigans were familiar and made me chuckle.

The biggest problem that I have is that I just don't like the relationships with the main characters. It seems that Molly and her husband had barely met when they were married, there are so few things that they know about each other. And no wonder since Molly constantly hides her feelings, thoughts and actions from him. Of course, he is not much more forthcoming. They can't even manage to live in the same house. Molly's friends are more interesting and less combative than in the previous book so that was a good change. ( )
  kcaroth1 | Jul 29, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Despite being the fourth in a series, this book can certainly be read without needing any context from the earlier works. It was a quick and enjoyable read. I enjoyed Molly, the main character, and how well the author portrayed college campus politics. I expected more direct acts against the environment on the island, but it turned out that wasn't necessary for the plot. I was able to predict the murderer, but not as early on in the story as I normally can. I would like to learn more about Molly's husband and step-son.
  aimeestubbs85 | Jul 26, 2016 |

Frankie Bow is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,991,190 books! | Top bar: Always visible