Someone I Wanted to Be

Someone I Wanted to Be

219495,208 (3.2)None

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I was not the biggest fan of Someone I Wanted to Be. I thought the writing style was very off. I was less than spectacular, and Aurelia Wills' writing style did nothing to make her plain plot any more interesting. I felt like a lot of points in the book were too cliche to take interesting and I honestly expected more. Oh well, maybe it was just the time of day I read the book. I highly recommend everyone take a shot at reading the book, because I read it and so did my friend, and even though I dreaded reading every page, she finished it withing the day. ( )
  Libbytx1999 | Mar 7, 2017 |
Leah’s mother is a drunk; her sometime-friends either ignore or pretend to like her, while her classmates call her a variety of fat names. What’s an overweight, insecure, semi-friendless, sometimes drunk 15-year-old smoker to do? Leah’s answer is to eat so she doesn’t have to think, contrast her terrible life with everyone else’s wonderful life, and impersonate her pretty so-called friend Kristy so she could chat with someone who was obviously a pedophile but who she could only see as “handsome.”

“Someone I wanted to be” is a rambling view of Leah’s life, problems (mostly self-imposed) and how she almost wound up as a statistic. I wasn’t a fan, but will leave it up to you to decide if you want to read it or not.

Book review link: https://shouldireaditornot.wordpress.com/2017/01/01/someone-i-wanted-to-be-aurelia-wills/ ( )
  sunshinealma | Jan 1, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This was a bleak story, that's not to say that I didn't like this book. It was an ok read. It's just not one of those books that will leave you with warm fuzzy feelings. It's a look at life's darker side. It was raw and gritty. It focused on bullying, death, alcoholism, and sexual assault. If anything, maybe it will help us to love our family a little more, and be a little kinder to people. Hopefully this story will help teenagers be more careful about talking to strangers, and never going somewhere alone.

The writing in this book was simple. The story was a quick and easy read, the chapters were nice and short, and the story was easy to follow. The conversations between the characters in this story were abrupt, short, and clipped, and almost always mean. They rarely had nice words to say to each other, except for maybe one of the characters. I never really felt like I got to know any of these characters on a deeper level and it was hard for me to connect with them. Mostly, I just felt very sad for the main character. She wasn't treated very well. I also didn't like how she didn't seem to stick up for herself. She was portrayed weakly. She self-sabotaged.

I thought the story ended a bit abruptly. I was kind of left feeling like I needed more. It was a bit abrupt. The way it ended did, however, make me feel like maybe there would still be hope yet for our main character and that maybe there was a way out for her after all.

Overall, this story was just an ok read for me. It held my attention for the most part. It didn't bore me...just saddened me. ( )
  BookaholicBanter | Sep 6, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This is a smart and engaging ya novel about a 15 yr old overweight Leah, who is friends with two popular girls. After meeting a handsome older man at a 7-11, Leah decides to impersonate her friend Kristy, who the man is interested in. It opens up a Pandora's box. Factor in first love, a friend's dying mother and a new set of friends who value Leah for herself, you have a great read. ( )
  maryintexas39 | Aug 11, 2016 |
***Trigger warning: Attempted rape scene

If this book had been written 20 years ago, it probably would have been one of my favorites. Thinking back to my high school years, I would have related quite well with Leah, the book's protagonist. Even though we do not share immediate traits, I was often the underdog during my middle and high school years. While her experiences and mine are differently, I still found her to be a believable character.
As an adult, I wanted to give Leah hugs while at the same time shake her and ask her why she let Kristy control her life. The book started out predictable: DUFF Leah trails after gorgeous and bitchy Kristy (admitting that sometimes she hated Kristy) and other friend Corinne, who is also beautiful, but nice, though Corinne also blows Leah off when Kristy demands so. We’re supposed to feel sorry for Kristy, whose mother is dying of cancer, but it’s hard to feel sympathy to someone who ranks up there with Regina George. By the end of Chapter 2, however, the plot turned into something original, though it vaguely reminded me of “Jail Bait” by Leslea Newman (very vaguely). I ended up enjoying the book immensely and wanted to give Leah high 5s along the way. Even though the book ended neatly and hopeful, I would have loved seeing an epilogue.

I received a copy of this book from LibraryThing Early Reviewers in exchange for my honest review. ( )
  jurai2 | Jul 25, 2016 |

When an insecure teen starts impersonating someone else, her life spirals dangerously out of control in a realistic, relatable novel about finding yourself—and discovering your true friends.

Leah Lobermier dreams of becoming a doctor, but it’s hard to stay focused on getting good grades when boys make oinking sounds at her in school and her mother spends every night on the couch with a bottle of wine. Leah’s skinny and popular "friends," Kristy and Corinne, aren’t much better and can hardly be counted on for support. When the girls convince a handsome older man to buy them beer, Leah takes his phone number and calls him, pretending to be Kristy—coy and confident—and they develop a relationship, talking and texting day after day. But as the lie she created grows beyond her control, can Leah put a stop to things before she—or Kristy—is seriously hurt?

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jun 2016 19:12:03 -0400)

Tiring of being a studious girl when nobody sees anything about her beyond her weight, Leah calls an older man, pretending to be her thin, popular friend, only to find her life spinning out of control as she discovers herself and her true friends.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

's book Someone I Wanted to Be was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,398,243 books! | Top bar: Always visible