Emotional Agility: Get Unstuck, Embrace…

Emotional Agility: Get Unstuck, Embrace Change, and Thrive in Work and…

by Susan David

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a hard time getting through this book, to be honest. Self-help books aren't usually in my wheelhouse, but this one found a home on my shelf. I definitely appreciated the wording used in the book. Rather than making the reader feel like what they were experiencing or feeling was wrong, and trying to correct these "errors," the author focuses on helping the reader realize that yes, these feelings are valid, and take the next steps to make a change. ( )
  moonlitshadow | Nov 21, 2017 |
One of the most helpful books on the application of neuroplasticity findings I've read. It's short (200 pages), extremely well written and organized, and I enjoyed the author's credibility and rigor in citing the science, as well as her wry sense of humor and ability to seamlessly weave in stories. I appreciate most her focus on self-acceptance and choice, rather than labeling thoughts and feelings "errors" or "deceptive." Far less dualistic, more empowering. ( )
  charliesierra | Oct 22, 2017 |
An exploration of the theme of "emotional agility."

The author relies upon her own experience and her work as a psychologist to discuss the role of emotions in our lives and how we can manage them effectively.

She speaks of how most people find themselves "hooked": they remain "stuck" in a given emotional state. They listen too much to the voices in their heads that bring them down; they look at themselves according to negative self-talk; they still ruminate over bad experiences and feelings of the past. She speaks of how we address emotions: we tend to bottle or brood, either suppressing emotion or giving full vent to them. She identifies the primary emotions (happiness, sadness, fear, disgust, anger, contempt, surprise), and notes how only one is truly "positive," and asks whether the rest exist to provide benefits even if uncomfortable.

She then provides a discussion of healthy practices that help a person go from being emotionally hooked and stuck to more agile and thriving: to show up (to show compassion to yourself, to be willing to do things as opposed to forced to do them, and to be willing to learn from one's emotional reactions), step out (be willing to consider what you are feeling and why, figure out their functions, learn from your reactions, and be mindful), walk your why (make decisions which allow you to live according to your values), and move on (find the small changes to be made in thought, feeling, and action, know how far you can go, challenge yourself, do what can be done). From here the author speaks about how to manifest emotional agility at work and with children.

The perspective is excellent and useful. The author finds what is commendable about a lot of leadership attitude promotion and other such fads but points out their negatives (i.e. avoidance is the enemy of the good and great, not good as enemy of great; grit is great until it is misdirected to seek to accomplish what cannot feasibly be accomplished, etc.). She pinpoints a lot of the difficulties people have in terms of living in healthy ways and the ways we allow emotions to saddle us with negativity.

Worth consideration. ( )
  deusvitae | Jan 19, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I'm not a fan of self help books but it was interesting enough in small bites. ( )
  AlmaB | Oct 23, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
The author of Emotional Agility: Get Unstuck, Embrace Change, and Thrive in Work and Life, is Susan David, the CEO of consulting company called Evidence Based Psychology. Her book came into my life at a good time, as I have been feeling stuck a lot lately. The concept of the internal chatterbox struck a chord for me – it’s nice to have a label for it, as it helps me articulate the concept to others. I really valued the author’s examples, and found them to be applicable and relatable to everyday life. I especially enjoyed the statements at the end of the last chapter. They’re almost like little mantras you can take with you. I recommend this book for Generation X, as that’s the demographic I think would be most helped by the concepts in the book. ( )
  LTietz | Sep 26, 2016 |

"The counterintuitive approach to achieving your true potential, heralded by the Harvard Business Review as a groundbreaking idea of the year. The path to fulfillment, whether at work or at home, is almost never a straight line. Ask anyone who has achieved their biggest goals or who thrives in their relationships, and you'll hear stories of many unexpected detours along the way. What separates those who rise to these challenges and those who get derailed? The answer is agility--emotional agility. Emotional agility is a four-step approach that allows us to navigate life's twists and turns with self-acceptance, clear-sightedness, and an open mind. In her more than twenty years of research, Susan David has found that no matter how intelligent, resilient, or creative people are, when they ignore how situations or interactions make them feel, they miss opportunities to gain insight, getting hooked by thoughts, emotions, and habits that prevent them from reaching their full potential. Emotionally agile people experience the same stresses and setbacks as anyone else, but they know how to adapt, aligning their actions with their values and making small changes that lead to a life of growth. Drawing on her extensive professional research, her international consulting work, and her own experiences growing up in Apartheid-era South Africa and losing her father at a young age, David shows how anyone can become more emotionally agile and thrive in an uncertain world. Written with authority, wit, and empathy, Emotional Agility will help you live your most successful life, whoever you are and whatever you face"-- "The counterintuitive approach to achieving your true potential, heralded by the Harvard Business Review as a groundbreaking idea of the year"--… (more)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Susan David's book Emotional Agility was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,430,348 books! | Top bar: Always visible