St. Louis Noir by Scott Phillips

St. Louis Noir

by Scott Phillips (Editor)

Other authors: Jedidiah Ayres (Contributor), Chris Barsanti (Contributor), Laura Benedict (Contributor), Michael Castro (Contributor), S.L. Coney (Contributor)9 more, Umar Lee (Contributor), John Lutz (Contributor), Jason Makansi (Contributor), Paul D. Marks (Contributor), Colleen J. McElroy (Contributor), Scott Phillips (Contributor), L.J. Smith (Contributor), LaVelle Wilkins-Chinn (Contributor), Calvin Wilson (Contributor)

Series: Akashic Books Noir Series

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've read a few others in this series, most recently Chicago Noir, and thought that this one did not compare favorably to the others. I tried 3 times but could not make myself get through all of these. Somehow, the stories here felt different than others in the series. I think that I'll skip this series in the future, sad to say. ( )
  lindapanzo | Nov 17, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This collection of stories was not at all what a waste expecting. A fan of Hammett and Chandler and classic noir stories, I was expecting atmospheric mystery if not classic detective. Instead there is just a collection of dark tales. Most with no mystery element at all. ( )
  command3r | Sep 25, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wasn't sure what to expect with this one, and when I saw that it was one of many such collections set in different cities I was a little hesitant. I wasn't expecting much, but I was very pleasantly surprised. The authors have connections to St Louis, and it mostly shows in the stories. Only in two cases did I feel like the local details were intrusive rather than a natural part of the story. As a St Louis transplant myself, it was amusing to picture the stories happening in their actual places, and as a fan of noir there were some really good stories in here. I would definitely consider picking up another volume. ( )
  duchessjlh | Aug 14, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I like this series from Akashic books. This one is pretty good with a mix of people--some skin-head vigilantes along with drug dealers, whores, ex-cons, guys evening scores and other usual suspects . A couple of the stories are a bit self-conscious in trying to make sure people familiar with St Louis know for sure that the story is really set there. Too many street names--that sort of thing. Overall the anthology is quite good with thirteen stories with an interesting "poetic interlude" in the middle. There is also a map which is helpful.
Contents (I italicized my favorites:
Introduction / Scott Phillips -- Part I: The city. Abandoned places / S.L. Coney -- Deserted cities of the heart / Paul D. Marks -- Blues for the River City / Colleen J. McElroy -- Fool's luck / La Velle Wilkins-Chin -- Attrition / Calvin Wilson -- Tracks / Jason Makansi -- Part II: A poetic interlude. Four St. Louis poems / Michael Castro -- Part III: The county. A paler shade of death / Laura Benedict -- Have you seen me? / Jedidiah Ayres -- A St. Louis Christmas / Umar Lee -- The pillbox / Chris Barsanti -- The brick wall / Lohn Lutz -- Part IV: Across the river. Tell them your name is Barbara / L.J. Smith -- One little Goddamn thing / Scott Phillips. ( )
  seeword | Aug 7, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I've read a couple of the Noir city anthologies previous to this & by far this one has to be my favorite! Filled with stunning prose & engaging stories from beginning to end.
For me there were a few stand outs. The first being Abandoned Places by S.L. Coney. The story of a boy living with his father's girlfriend when his dad just up & leaves one day. While I could see where the story was going I was still left speechless at the end. The second highlight was A Paler Shade of Death by Laura Benedict. Gripping from the beginning it is the story of a woman who is thought to have killed her young son & maybe more. Finally, Have You Seen Me? by Jedidiah Ayres. A "cleaner" of the most unusual kind searches for the forgotten of St Louis. ( )
  campingmomma | Aug 6, 2016 |

Phillips, ScottContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Smith, L.J.Contributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilkins-Chinn, LaVelleContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed
Wilson, CalvinContributorsecondary authorall editionsconfirmed

Presents a collection of short stories featuring noir and crime fiction about St. Louis by such authors as Colleen J. McElroy, Laura Benedict, and Chris Barsanti.

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Scott Phillips's book St. Louis Noir was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,415,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible