Prince Noah and the School Pirates (A Prince…

Prince Noah and the School Pirates (A Prince Noah Book)

by Silke Schnee

English (16)  German (1)  All (17)
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I found this book a little wordy for my 6 year old goddaughter. The story didn't moved along very fast and often she'd be ready to change the page before we were done reading. I enjoyed the story about working together through differences and not discriminating based on disabilities. I don't think this book is nearly as good as Silke Schnee's, The Prince Who Was Just Himself. I think the message worked better than it does in Prince Noah and the School Pirates. ( )
  Rosenectur | Nov 2, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Prince Noah and the School Pirates by Silke Schnee, illustrated by Heike Sistig, is a fun adventure about inclusion, working together, and having fun. In Prince Noah’s kingdom, the kids are sent off in separate ships to learn skills, such as girls learning to weave and boys learning to fence. Kids with disabilities are sent off in their own boats as well.

Read the full review: http://savvyverseandwit.com/2016/08/prince-noah-and-the-school-pirates-by-silke-... ( )
  sagustocox | Oct 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
My son absolutely adored this book.

This book is wonderful. It explores how people can be separated based on their abilities or interests in a way that young ones can understand easily. I received this book for review and I genuinely enjoyed the affect it had on my six year old.

This book is great for any kid, but especially for those with special needs so they can easier understand that they are different but just as important as other kids.
  arahsarchive | Sep 18, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book has a meaningful message about children being separated in school based on abilities rather than being integrated. In this case each group of children was sent off on a different ship to learn.
But the story was much longer than it needed to be to get the message across. I felt myself wondering when the story would get to the point as I read. If this book were shortened and written in a more direct manner, children would be much more willing to sit down and listen to the whole book at one go.
NOTE: I received a free copy of this book from the publisher in exchange for an honest review. ( )
  mmcbeth29 | Sep 10, 2016 |
This is a very fun book for children who have the attention span to sit and listen. There are a lot of words to this story and it reads like a storytelling session with Grandpa or Mom at bedtime. It will open up lots of questions like "why don't girls learn math" and "why is there a ship for boys and a different one for kids with one leg". Its a good opportunity for you to discuss how children and sometimes grown ups are treated differently from others and yet each person is able to participate and help with a problem in different ways.

I did try to read this book with my 2 year old but she barely has the attention span yet for a storybook unless it's very interactive. This one doesn't have a lot of rhyming text or sing song passages for her join in the story so it's didn't hold her attention. If you have a 4 year old that will sit for a fairly long story book this will be a great book to encourage thinking about situations and how we can help each other with tasks.

Disclaimer: I was offered a copy of this book in exchange for my honest opinion. No money was offered for a positive review. Thanks for reading GivingNSharing. ( )
  tiinaj1 | Aug 28, 2016 |

It’s time for young Prince Noah to go to school. The prince, who starred in the book The Prince Who Was Just Himself, may be a little slower than other students, but he has no less joy in learning. In his kingdom, children go to school on sailing ships. There is a ship for girls and one for boys. There is a ship for children with an eye patch, a ship for children with one leg, and a ship for children who are slower learners. No one knows why there are so many different ships, but it has always been that way.

Then a terrible storm drives the ships into the hands of pirates. The boys and girls realize that they will only escape if everyone does what he or she does best. Through their adventures, they learn that diversity makes us strong and that every person has something to teach us.

This delightfully illustrated fairy tale instills appreciation for children with Down syndrome and other developmental challenges, making it a valuable aid for teaching tolerance in the home or classroom.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:35:36 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Silke Schnee's book Prince Noah and the School Pirates was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,412,909 books! | Top bar: Always visible