Jungle Land (The Seven Prequels) by Eric…

Jungle Land (The Seven Prequels)

by Eric Walters

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Jungle Land is a book aimed at a younger audience. This becomes obvious early on, as some of the dialogue involves explaining concepts, giving details about local dishes, and offering translations for short phrases in Spanish. It is a quick read for an adult, with an interesting plot; a grandfather takes his grandson to visit an old friend in a foreign country and things go slightly awry due to some misunderstandings and adventure-minded teens. I thought that the main character, DJ, was very introspective which allowed the character to develop, and also made him a good character for younger readers to relate to. However, I felt that Alejandra, the girl who hung out with DJ, was a very flat character who could have been developed a lot more.
  GretchenLynn | Feb 7, 2017 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I really enjoyed this book. It was the perfect length for my morning bus ride. It was also a pretty easy read, which is exactly what I need in the morning.
  sophiehrhlgnd | Sep 7, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
DJ goes on an adventure with his grandfather to Central America. His grandfather is an importer/ exporter with his own plane, they go to see a friend of the grandfather, also an importer/ exporter in the jungle. When Canadian DJ sees the castle, the walls, the armed guards, the servants, he knows he’s not in Ontario anymore. His host brings with him his granddaughter with an overactive imagination, and they really go on an adventure. This is MG book for kids who like Gary Paulson’s Brian books, like Hatchet, or Julie of the Wolves.

This ARC came from Library Thing 7.25.16 Thanks Library Thing! ( )
  anyanwubutler | Aug 24, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I won Jungle Land through Library Thing.

This book was rather interesting, I am not sure what I was expecting but the surprising twist at the end was not it at all. I loved the twist. We start with a young boy and his grandfather riding in a plane, that I might add the boy did not like flying. Although he didn't like flying he loved his grandfather and spending time with him was one of his favorite things to do. They're journey to Central America was long but, I believe, well worth it. They come to a humongous mansion out in the middle of the jungle, it is surrounded by a fence to keep the critters out, although if you believed the little girl in the book it was to keep people out as well. The friend of his grandpa is mysterious and very rich, his granddaughter? (I can't remember what she was to him anymore) was snobby and a bit stuck up but I warmed to her as I learned more about her more fearful nature. They visit a giant waterfall and swim in it - how there aren't caimans there is beyond me, when they seem to be everywhere else water related in the book. Maybe they just don't like waterfalls. Later that night explosions ring out and the terror sets in. They hide, they run men chasing them. The jungle is dark, their fear is real, as is their danger from wild animals. Luckily everything turns out alright in the end but I literally felt their terror, their surprise, the young boy's feelings of inadequacy over the gun. All of it felt real despite the short length of the story everything fell into place quite well. I certainly enjoyed it.
  mariahsidhe | Aug 13, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I received an ARC in exchange for an honest review.

"Jungle Land" is author Eric Walters's prequel to his "Seven" series (which I've never read) and is recommended for ages 9+. I would personally recommend it for ages 9-12; kids older than that may find it too juvenile for their liking.

13-year-old DJ is always happy to spend time with his grandfather. When Grandpa picks DJ to be the first of his grandchildren to go on an adventure, DJ is thrilled. A seasoned pilot, Grandpa flies the two of them to Central America to visit an old friend. While there, DJ meets Alejandra, granddaughter of Grandpa's friend Juan. Alejandra has a bit of a chip on her shoulder, and she and DJ do not hit it off to begin with. However, when the kids find themselves in a life-threatening situation that requires them to muster their survival skills, the two are forced to work together. With armed men chasing after them, DJ and Alejandra flee through the jaguar-filled jungle and caiman-infested waters in a desperate attempt to get help, all the while not knowing what happened to their respective grandfathers. Will they escape? Will they be shot or eaten by caimans in the process? And what happened to their grandfathers?

For a book of such short length (153 pages of fairly large type - I read the entire book in one sitting), it was packed with lots of action. Although a little slow to start, as soon as the action kicked in, it didn't let up until the very end. What a fun, adventurous book for young readers! ( )
  niaomiya | Aug 9, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Eric Walters's book Jungle Land was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 116,986,813 books! | Top bar: Always visible