Weerdest Day Ever! (The Seven Prequels) by…

Weerdest Day Ever! (The Seven Prequels)

by Richard Scrimger

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This certainly a bizarre story and aptly named. I like the character Bunny a person who is challenged in some ways and the unusual things that happen to Bunny and friends. Check it out, if you're looking for something out of the ordinary to read. ( )
  angelswing | Nov 25, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This quirky story follows the weekend adventures of Bunny, who appears to have some learning challenges. These challenges manifest in his naive and lovely misunderstanding of his surroundings and the various goings on. They also arise in his telling of the story, which is written by him and is filled with spelling errors of many words similar to what one might expect from a much younger individual. The story was fun and interesting. The work is likely most appropriate for young readers around 10 years of age. ( )
  dmerrell | Aug 21, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Cute little book about a weekend adventure with grandpa. This book is written as the author thinks a 6th grade student would write with all the misspelled word and lack of punctuation. It is actually written like a 5th grade student would write a rough draft before they would type it into a computer and use spell check. ( )
  CathyShelton | Aug 6, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Okay, I’m calling this book’s genre both contemporary and futurific – that’s because it reads as if it were present day but it set in a time when Canada is preparing for war with the U.S. (sort of like Harry Potter being contemporary and fantasy at the same time) Our lead character, Bunny, is down-to-earth, direct and even funny as he goes camping with his brother and his grandpa. The woods are filled with American soldiers and one steals his brother’s cell phone. Bunny is determined to get it back as it is the MOST important thing in his brother’s life. Bunny’s spelling is pretty bad (he’s telling the story) –which makes this a pretty easy book to read. It is wacky and fast-moving. ( )
  kyurenka | Aug 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
***SPOILER ALERT*** -- because I'm not sure how to completely discuss the plot without giving stuff away.

I received a free copy of Weerdest Day Ever! from LibraryThing and the publisher in exchange for an honest review -- thank you!

Richard Scrimger is one of my favourite authors, and Bunny is one of my favourite characters, so when I found out that he was going to be writing another book featuring him, I knew I was going to lose it. And Weerdest Day Ever did not disappoint.

The book depicts a trip that Bunny takes with his grandfather and brother that lands them in the middle of a war zone... kind of. They're there to watch a historical reenactment from the War of 1812. But no one's explained what's going on to Bunny, and he winds up in a bit of a mess with a cell phone and a rather nasty reenactor.

The partially-phonetic spellings of words took a little bit of getting used to for me. But they helped to develop Bunny's character and allowed us to see the world through his eyes. Bunny isn't belittled by the plot for his mistakes, because we're kind of in the same boat through the writing style, if that makes sense.

And the plot, while definitely on the lighthearted side, also deals with issues of bullying and racism.

Overall, a sweet, funny, engaging book. ( )
  bucketofrhymes | Aug 3, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Richard Scrimger's book Weerdest Day Ever was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 120,631,713 books! | Top bar: Always visible