Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill…

"Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People": And Other Myths About Guns…

by Dennis A. Henigan

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Dennis Henigan spends the majority of "Guns Don't Kill People" picking apart the most common anti gun control sound-bites. The book takes a logical, reasoned approach to debunking gun control myths, backed up with facts and data. That being said, if you're looking for a book that presents both sides of the issue, this is not the book for you. However, I believe it is one everyone interested in this issue should read. ( )
  DoctorDebt | Dec 12, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Gun control - always a hot topic for so many. You definitely know which side of the debate that Dennis Henigan is on. This was a challenge to get thru, and I don't think I'll be re-reading the book. I would still suggest it to anyone that wants to at least learn how one side thinks. ( )
  CharlesSvec | Oct 20, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
In this book, Henigan takes on the most common (and most successful) of the NRA's pat bumper sticker slogans and shows them to be false, misleading, and at worst, destructive. The data, evidence, and history simply do not support the NRA's agenda. I, like most Americans, support effective, reasonable gun control. I am also a law enforcement officer who carries a gun everyday for work. This book opened my eyes to the truth about guns in our society. ( )
  LaineyMac | Oct 17, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Presenting only one side of an impassioned debate, pretty obvious where this writer stands.
While attempting to discredit the catchphrases used by one side, the writer uses the catchphrases from his point of view.
So outlaw guns, pressure cookers, knives, baseball bats, cars, fists, shoes, anything ever used by EVIL people to murder another human. Sorry, but people DO kill people, and will find a way to accomplish this horrific act no matter what is taken from them, even freedom (check the murder rate in prison, no guns available there!)
How about we follow the laws already in place and force the ATF to abide by them as well (Can you say "Gunwalking"?)

Last thing that should be a key part of this discussion...

"Free Men do not need permission to bear arms." ( )
  Willie3 | Oct 11, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Let me start this whole thing by saying that this is a book that you need to read. No matter on which side of the gun debate you currently reside, this book serves the excellent purpose of providing a well thought out, studied, relatively non-reactionary discussion of one side of the debate.

Definitely only one side. But a discussion that tends to be free of histrionics and hyperbole.

Dennis Henigan has set out to refute the catch phrases that are so often used by those who are opposed to gun control. Tropes such as “When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns”, “Gun control is a slippery slope to confiscation”, “An armed society is a polite society”, and “Guns don’t kill people, people kill people” (the book’s title) are addressed in each chapter with an analysis of what is being claimed, the logical fallacies that underlie each statement, and reams of data which refute what is being said as well as the underlying arguments that are made by gun advocates. Supported by extensive research, facts, and figures, he does an excellent job of revealing the flaws and underlying realities. It will be hard for all but the most die-hard gun advocates to not begin questioning some of the suppositions we have all made.

The book is not without some minor problems. Phrases similar to “it is not too hard to imagine” and its ilk crop up occasionally. Similarly, there are occasional plays to emotion that sidetrack the discussion. The minute the author heads those directions, suspicion is raised that he is falling into the same traps he is arguing against.

But these are few and far between and unnecessary in supporting Henigan’s points. Feel free to ignore them and just look at the facts presented.

There is no doubt this is a one-sided argument. And the reader has to take that into account. A grain of salt should be included with each chapter. Nonetheless, there are compelling arguments that need to be discussed.

And that is why I believe that all sides should read this book. Those who favor some level of control will better understand how their position can be supported. And those who prefer less control should honestly appraise these arguments to determine how solid their footing is.

Do not get me wrong, I am not saying read this book because then you’ll be persuaded to support gun control. Rather, I am saying everyone should read it is an excellent portrayal of one side of the argument. I would welcome a similarly logical explanation of the opposite side – one that calmly discusses facts and realities.

Discussions which seem to be in short supply on all topics these days. ( )
  figre | Oct 4, 2016 |

Debunking the lethal logic behind the pervasive myths that have framed the gun control debate

“When guns are outlawed, only outlaws will have guns.” “The only thing that stops a bad guy with a gun is a good guy with a gun.” We’ve all heard these slogans time and again. The result of a targeted marketing effort by the NRA and other pro-gun organizations, these catchphrases have come to define the contemporary gun control debate.

Dennis Henigan explodes the misguided thinking at the heart of these pro-gun slogans and dissects their deadly impact on US gun policy in this completely revised and updated edition of his much-praised 2009 hardcover (Lethal Logic, which has never been published in paperback). The gun lobby’s remarkable success in infiltrating the gun control lexicon with these catchy slogans has allowed them to block lifesaving gun legislation for decades and gained them unprecedented influence in American politics.

In this well-researched but accessible book, Henigan takes the NRA’s myths to task and exposes the fallacious thinking behind the gun lobby’s bumper-sticker logic.

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 06 Jun 2016 18:26:54 -0400)

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alumn

"Guns Don't Kill People, People Kill People" by Dennis A. Henigan was made available through LibraryThing Early Reviewers. Sign up to possibly get pre-publication copies of books.

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 113,763,933 books! | Top bar: Always visible