Revolution Time by Paul G. Varnas

Revolution Time

by Paul G. Varnas

2015515,329 (3.16)1

This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
This book was a surprise to me. I was expecting a historical novel and this is more of a Young Adult sci-fi/historical novel. It was a good YA novel and the premise of the story was truly interesting. It was also exciting to see how the characters grew as people over the course of the story, as well as how 2, 21st century kids cope with arriving in the 18th century. Of course, in a novel that takes place during Revolutionary times you do meet several of the major historical figures of the time period. Those characters behaved in a believable manner. The particular method of time travel added some mystery and suspense to the story. There were a few historical inconsistencies that I found jarring but that don't really take away from the overall story. The one character is singing a hymn that wasn't written until the beginning of the 20th century and the children interacted in a far more casual manner that would have been the case during that time period. But as a YA novel that is probably not a problem. Overall a fun read with a satisfactory ending. ( )
  clp2go | Oct 23, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I had a hard time getting past the opening section where Eddie and his friends vandalize the Greek consulate and frame his 10 year old sister Angie for it ... all in order to avoid a family vacation to Greece. The story picked up once they traveled back in time to the Revolutionary War period. Their uncle and his friend jump into various time periods in an effort to locate them, but I found some of their side trips distracting. Overall it wasn't a bad read but not one of my favorites. ( )
  brewergirl | Oct 8, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Loved this story. I found I could not put it down ( )
  Bookscount | Oct 4, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
I wanted to like this book. I truly enjoy reading alternate history and thought my children might also.
This had some fun ideas, but the extremely poor editing and the bad language ruined it for me. A strong editor could have helped eliminate rabbit trails and a good copy editor could have caught spelling and grammar issues. There were multiple sentences that just didn't make any sense. I won't be letting my children read this one. ( )
  Lynette.Williams | Aug 3, 2016 |
This review was written for LibraryThing Early Reviewers.
Based on the cover, I thought this book was totally about the revolutionary war. So I was surprised to see it starting out in modern day with a couple of bratty kids. I loved the story once the kids went through time travel and arrived in the 1700s. It was well written, suspenseful, and even humorous at times. I didn't care for the kids cussing and swearing, but I was glad to see that it stopped after they met Angus. ( )
  galoma | Aug 1, 2016 |

LibraryThing Early Reviewers Alum

Paul G. Varnas's book Revolution Time was available from LibraryThing Early Reviewers.

Sign up to get a pre-publication copy in exchange for a review.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,438,136 books! | Top bar: Always visible