Minder Rising (Central Galactic Concordance,…

Minder Rising (Central Galactic Concordance, #2)

by Carol Van Natta

811,035,133 (5)None

~ I received a copy of this book from the author in exchange for an honest review. ~

I had not yet read the first book, Overload Flux, in the Central Galactic Concordance series when I started Minder Rising, but this was in no way a disadvantage. Both books can be read as stand-alone stories.

The premise and the science fiction elements of Minder Rising are very imaginative and detailed, but the story is also very character-based and therefore believable and relatable. I’m always drawn to stories set in a bar/pub, especially because of the many possibilities for the characters to interact. Imara, a widowed mother with a young son, works in the The Quark and Quasar bar, with help from Rayle, who is one of those happy-go-lucky people with an all-inclusive disposition you'd love to have as a friend.

As soon as Lièrén, taking time off work to recover from a serious accident, appears on the scene, the slow but tangible build-up of his relationship with Imara, despite all the challenges and obstacles they face, immediately built a picture in my mind of a happy ending for them. Minder Rising does indeed have a HEA, but it didn't feel forced or contrived, with very plausible situations leading up to it.

The connection between Derrit, Imara's exceptionally gifted son, and Lièrén was a joy to follow as they both grew as people and supported each other. I sensed that wise-beyond-his-years Derrit wished his mother could find happiness with another man and that he was ready to have an adult man in his life again to look up to after the death of his father.

As well as interesting, plot-advancing scenes set in The Quark and Quasar and roadworks sites where Imara has a second job as a road-crew chief, there were some very exciting and engaging action sequences later in the story, building up to the feel-good ending and an intriguing epilogue that promises much more in future books in the series.

The introduction of secondary characters and situations occurs seamlessly and is not at times what this reader was expecting, which added to my overall enjoyment of the book.

The inclusion of some dialogue in foreign languages made sense in this multi-cultural story and added more depth to the characters. There were never any "have to Google that" moments, with translations provided throughout.

There are no sex scenes in Minder Rising. I generally prefer some hot'n'steamy action in my Science Fiction Romances but, although I could’ve been disappointed that Lièrén and Imara didn’t get that far, I was actually so engrossed in the story that I didn’t really think about it.

I can't wait to read the next book in the series and I hope we'll see more of Imara, Derrit and Lièrén...and of course Rayle! ( )
  OzMerry | Jan 28, 2018 |

Carol Van Natta is a LibraryThing Author, an author who lists their personal library on LibraryThing.

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 126,444,229 books! | Top bar: Always visible