The Good Guy by Dean Koontz

The Good Guy (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Dean Koontz

Title:The Good Guy
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages

The Good Guy by Dean Koontz (2007)

English (50)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (52)
Every time I read a Dean Koontz novel I keep hoping that I am going to read one of his great novels that he is certainly capable of putting together. Invariably, I’m disappointed. There were so many flaws in The Good Guy that I’m not even sure where to start. First off, the premise may be interesting, but it’s not remotely plausible. If two men were making a deal to assassinate some women, they would have to know who each other is before commencing with the deal. The guy paying to assassinate the woman isn’t going to go up to a random guy in a bar and hand him ten thousand dollars without being one hundred percent sure he’s dealing with the hired assassin. Second, assassins are professional. They kill people to earn income. This assassin was solely in it for principal of having another person killed. Koontz is the worst writer I’ve ever read when it comes to antagonists. They have no resemblance to actual human beings, and this antagonist is no exception to that rule.

To make matters worse, Koontz employs the shadowy organization comprised of rich and powerful men who are virtually omnipotent and control things unbeknownst to the rest of society. This is probably the absolute most cliché thing in fictional novels and movies. It’s bad enough that Koontz has this horrible antagonist, but then he has to bring an even worse group of bad guys into the fray. The action is not remotely believable. The characters are thin and cliché. I can’t really say that there is a whole lot redeemable about this novel and I would advise readers to stay away from this one.

Carl Alves - author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Oct 4, 2015 |
I honestly have no idea what I can say about this book. I liked it but I didn’t love it. I flew through it because I just couldn’t put it down. Which is great, but I didn’t really connect with any of the characters. I was also somewhat disappointed with the ending. That is why it’s getting three stars from me.

Of course I will still read more by Dean Koontz. I have two or three of his books on my TBR shelves and I can’t wait to read them. Hopefully I can pick one of them up soon. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Jun 14, 2015 |
Really really good. 2nd book of Koontz' i've read and equally as good. Great storyline. The characters were so believable. Will definitely be buying more from this author ( )
  Tony2704 | Mar 8, 2015 |
My first Koontz novel and it was a thrill ride. Love the fast plotting interspersed with literary prose, metaphor, subtle humor and tenderness, and witty dialog. All against the backdrop of a creepy serial killer, mysterious "good guy," and a love interest that builds made for a compelling read. I'm off to find another Koontz novel. Any recommendations? ( )
  ResAliens | Feb 6, 2014 |
I felt about this book the same way I feel about the other Koontz novels that I've read. It was a good page-turner, great airport/travel reading. Neither the plot, nor the characters, were all that original, and Koontz's prose tends to lurch awkwardly at times. Still, I enjoyed the book while it lasted, in particular the bad guy in the story (aren't bad guys always more fun?). Although I managed to distract myself by insisting on picturing him "as played by" Kevin Spacey, I still found him effectively creepy and icky. You really can't go wrong with a book like this -- if an easy, diverting, yet forgettable read is what you're after. ( )
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
I shall tell you a great secret, my friend. Do not wait for the last judgement, it takes place every day.
--Albert Camus
To Mike and Mary Lou Delaney, for you kindness, for your friendship, and for all the laughter--even if a lot of the time you don't know why we're laughing at you. With you. Laughing with you. We love you guys.
Sometimes a mayfly skates across a pond, leaving a brief wake as thin as spider silk, and by staying low avoids those birds and bats that feed in flight.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553589113, Mass Market Paperback)

One man. One choice. Someone must die.

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Dean Koontz comes this pulse-pounding thriller that starts with a terrifying decision we all might face one day: Help—or run. Timothy Carrier is an ordinary guy. He enjoys a beer after work at his friend’s tavern, the eccentric customers and amusing conversations. But tonight is no ordinary night. The jittery man sitting beside him has mistaken Tim for someone else—and passes him an envelope stuffed with cash and the photo of a pretty woman. “Ten thousand now. You get the rest when she’s gone.

Tim Carrier always thought he knew the difference between right and wrong, good and evil. But tonight everything he thought he knew—even about himself—will be challenged. For Tim Carrier is at the center of a mystery of extraordinary proportions, the one man who can save an innocent life and stop a killer as relentless as evil incarnate. But first he must discover resources within himself of which he never dreamed, capacities that will transform his idea of who he is and what it takes to be . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:18 -0400)

Timothy Carrier is sitting in a bar when the man next to him mistakes him for someone else and hands him an envelope with $10,000. The man leaves after handing Tim a photo of a woman marked for death and her address. Soon the killer arrives believing Tim is the one who wants to hire him.… (more)

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Store | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 100,884,124 books! | Top bar: Always visible