The Good Guy by Dean Koontz

The Good Guy (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Dean Koontz

Member:Amos33
Title:The Good Guy
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages

The Good Guy by Dean Koontz (2007)

(4) 2007 (6) 2008 (11) action (5) adventure (4) assassins (7) audiobook (8) conspiracy (5) crime (6) dean koontz (61) fiction (153) hardcover (14) HC (5) hitman (7) horror (54) mistaken identity (7) murder (18) murder for hire (5) mystery (52) novel (8) own (12) paperback (9) pb (4) read (23) supernatural (6) suspense (92) thriller (124) to-read (26) unowned (4) unread (11)

English (47)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (49)
My first Koontz novel and it was a thrill ride. Love the fast plotting interspersed with literary prose, metaphor, subtle humor and tenderness, and witty dialog. All against the backdrop of a creepy serial killer, mysterious "good guy," and a love interest that builds made for a compelling read. I'm off to find another Koontz novel. Any recommendations? ( )
  ResAliens | Feb 6, 2014 |
I felt about this book the same way I feel about the other Koontz novels that I've read. It was a good page-turner, great airport/travel reading. Neither the plot, nor the characters, were all that original, and Koontz's prose tends to lurch awkwardly at times. Still, I enjoyed the book while it lasted, in particular the bad guy in the story (aren't bad guys always more fun?). Although I managed to distract myself by insisting on picturing him "as played by" Kevin Spacey, I still found him effectively creepy and icky. You really can't go wrong with a book like this -- if an easy, diverting, yet forgettable read is what you're after. ( )
  ksimon | Feb 6, 2014 |
Dean Koontz strikes again with this suspenseful novel. Follow the adventure of Timothy Carrier as he is falsely identified as a hit man and tries to escape from the blunt of the real killer.
  jpevans | Nov 1, 2013 |
Timothy Carrier is minding his own business in a bar, when he is approached by another man and offered a packet containing $10,000 to kill someone. Soon thereafter, another man, the real killer enters and mistakes Tim for the client. Tim tries to buy off the killer with half of the money only to discover the hitman is a cop. He contacts the victim, an unusual lady, and the cat-and-mouse games begin.

Nothing supernatural in this book which is great because when I read anything with supernatural stuff, my crap detector goes into overload. Lots of foreshadowing and one suspects that Tim has other skills besides masonry and that Linda, the woman he is helping, may have additional secrets. Koontz builds suspense very nicely as the killer seems to anticipate their every move leading one to suspect that he is only part of a very large team with many connections.

Some nice humor. There scene where Linda is trying to escape from a restaurant by going through the kitchen and out the back door and is confronted by an assistant manager is worth the price of the book alone. Of course, there is that element of macho fantasy: the ostensible ordinary guy who comes to the defense and rescue of the damsel.

What really sets this book apart from so many ordinary thrillers is the dialogue. The banter between Tim and Linda as they become closer is marvelous, and the scene where Krait, the killer with extraordinary connections, assumes a personality to allay the suspicions of a nosy mother of a couple whose house he is temporarily using as a refuge is terrifically believable even while being most improbable. Krait is the ultimate evil guy, so out of control that even his handlers begin to question his sanity. Enough said.

Set aside an evening. I especially recommend the audio version with Richard Ferrone. Excellent. ( )
  ecw0647 | Sep 30, 2013 |
With the note "Kill me instead" on the front I wasn't sure what to expect, but it was a very good read. Plenty of action, maybe the plot was slightly far fetched at times but it certainly kept me captivated. ( )
  nigelbarker | Nov 19, 2011 |
I shall tell you a great secret, my friend. Do not wait for the last judgement, it takes place every day.
--Albert Camus
To Mike and Mary Lou Delaney, for you kindness, for your friendship, and for all the laughter--even if a lot of the time you don't know why we're laughing at you. With you. Laughing with you. We love you guys.
Sometimes a mayfly skates across a pond, leaving a brief wake as thin as spider silk, and by staying low avoids those birds and bats that feed in flight.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553589113, Mass Market Paperback)

One man. One choice. Someone must die.

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Dean Koontz comes this pulse-pounding thriller that starts with a terrifying decision we all might face one day: Help—or run. Timothy Carrier is an ordinary guy. He enjoys a beer after work at his friend’s tavern, the eccentric customers and amusing conversations. But tonight is no ordinary night. The jittery man sitting beside him has mistaken Tim for someone else—and passes him an envelope stuffed with cash and the photo of a pretty woman. “Ten thousand now. You get the rest when she’s gone.

Tim Carrier always thought he knew the difference between right and wrong, good and evil. But tonight everything he thought he knew—even about himself—will be challenged. For Tim Carrier is at the center of a mystery of extraordinary proportions, the one man who can save an innocent life and stop a killer as relentless as evil incarnate. But first he must discover resources within himself of which he never dreamed, capacities that will transform his idea of who he is and what it takes to be . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Mon, 30 Sep 2013 13:23:33 -0400)

Timothy Carrier is sitting in a bar when the man next to him mistakes him for someone else and hands him an envelope with $10,000. The man leaves after handing Tim a photo of a woman marked for death and her address. Soon the killer arrives believing Tim is the one who wants to hire him.… (more)

Two editions of this book were published by Audible.com.

Help/FAQs | About | Privacy/Terms | Blog | Contact | LibraryThing.com | APIs | WikiThing | Common Knowledge | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | 91,504,100 books! | Top bar: Always visible