The Good Guy by Dean Koontz

The Good Guy (original 2007; edition 2008)

by Dean Koontz

Member:Amos33
Title:The Good Guy
Authors:Dean Koontz
Info:Bantam (2008), Mass Market Paperback, 496 pages

The Good Guy by Dean Koontz (2007)

English (53)  German (1)  Swedish (1)  All languages (55)
Review: The Good Guy by Dean Koontz.

It’s strange to read one of Koontz books with no supernatural content but even so, I still enjoyed the story. The story was a suspenseful thriller, a lot of action with some humor. The plot kept me on the edge of my seat and turning the pages with quick motion to keep up with the three main characters, Linda, Tim, and Kravet, who are always on the run.

The story starts off with Tim, a self-effacing mason, sitting at the end of a bar after work minding his business when he is approached by a complete stranger who starts talking to him in a bizarre manner and gives him a manila envelope filled with ten thousand dollars in cash and tells him he would get the other half when the job was done. Then the guy gives Tim a picture of a woman and her address, slides off his barstool and leaves…Somehow, the stranger mistakes Tim as a hit man….

However, when the real hit man Kravet shows up he thinks Tim is his contact and engages in a conversation with him and Tim catches on and slides the envelope to the guy and says that he changed his mind and for the hit man to keep the ten thousand dollars for a no kill…Kravet is a ruthless antagonist in the story. He is a sinister sociopath and has no conscience and enjoys killing people in bizarre ways….

Next, Tim tracks Linda Paquette down and warns her that somebody wants her dead. Linda has no knowledge why someone would want to kill her so, Tim the person he is, takes on trying to protect her until they can find some answers to what was going on. However, in the meantime the hit man has caught on that he has been shafted and now wants Tim dead also….

Suddenly the chase is on and there is definitely plenty of action. Both Tim and the potential evil-doer are somewhat immersed in themselves and are headed toward a moment of reckoning as they careen towards the eventual highlight of the story.

I was left questing Koontz creative reason why Linda was a target which felt off-base for me and the reason why Kravet had no memory of his life before he was eighteen. The book was an enjoyable read and intensively adventurous. Like I said, the action never slowed down….

Juan-banjo | May 31, 2016 |
Michael Hayden
  jmail | Mar 21, 2016 |
I liked it. The killer cracked me up. It kind of felt like he (Koontz) got tired of the book half way through it. An easy fun read to kill some time, but not worth it if you've got a stack of good ones your trying to get to. ( )
  Charlie-Ravioli | Jan 18, 2016 |
Every time I read a Dean Koontz novel I keep hoping that I am going to read one of his great novels that he is certainly capable of putting together. Invariably, I’m disappointed. There were so many flaws in The Good Guy that I’m not even sure where to start. First off, the premise may be interesting, but it’s not remotely plausible. If two men were making a deal to assassinate some women, they would have to know who each other is before commencing with the deal. The guy paying to assassinate the woman isn’t going to go up to a random guy in a bar and hand him ten thousand dollars without being one hundred percent sure he’s dealing with the hired assassin. Second, assassins are professional. They kill people to earn income. This assassin was solely in it for principal of having another person killed. Koontz is the worst writer I’ve ever read when it comes to antagonists. They have no resemblance to actual human beings, and this antagonist is no exception to that rule.

To make matters worse, Koontz employs the shadowy organization comprised of rich and powerful men who are virtually omnipotent and control things unbeknownst to the rest of society. This is probably the absolute most cliché thing in fictional novels and movies. It’s bad enough that Koontz has this horrible antagonist, but then he has to bring an even worse group of bad guys into the fray. The action is not remotely believable. The characters are thin and cliché. I can’t really say that there is a whole lot redeemable about this novel and I would advise readers to stay away from this one.

Carl Alves - author of Blood Street ( )
  Carl_Alves | Oct 4, 2015 |
I honestly have no idea what I can say about this book. I liked it but I didn’t love it. I flew through it because I just couldn’t put it down. Which is great, but I didn’t really connect with any of the characters. I was also somewhat disappointed with the ending. That is why it’s getting three stars from me.

Of course I will still read more by Dean Koontz. I have two or three of his books on my TBR shelves and I can’t wait to read them. Hopefully I can pick one of them up soon. ( )
  TheBookHoarder | Jun 14, 2015 |
I shall tell you a great secret, my friend. Do not wait for the last judgement, it takes place every day.
--Albert Camus
To Mike and Mary Lou Delaney, for you kindness, for your friendship, and for all the laughter--even if a lot of the time you don't know why we're laughing at you. With you. Laughing with you. We love you guys.
Sometimes a mayfly skates across a pond, leaving a brief wake as thin as spider silk, and by staying low avoids those birds and bats that feed in flight.

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0553589113, Mass Market Paperback)

One man. One choice. Someone must die.

From #1 New York Times bestselling author Dean Koontz comes this pulse-pounding thriller that starts with a terrifying decision we all might face one day: Help—or run. Timothy Carrier is an ordinary guy. He enjoys a beer after work at his friend’s tavern, the eccentric customers and amusing conversations. But tonight is no ordinary night. The jittery man sitting beside him has mistaken Tim for someone else—and passes him an envelope stuffed with cash and the photo of a pretty woman. “Ten thousand now. You get the rest when she’s gone.

Tim Carrier always thought he knew the difference between right and wrong, good and evil. But tonight everything he thought he knew—even about himself—will be challenged. For Tim Carrier is at the center of a mystery of extraordinary proportions, the one man who can save an innocent life and stop a killer as relentless as evil incarnate. But first he must discover resources within himself of which he never dreamed, capacities that will transform his idea of who he is and what it takes to be . . .

(retrieved from Amazon Thu, 12 Mar 2015 18:05:18 -0400)

Timothy Carrier is sitting in a bar when the man next to him mistakes him for someone else and hands him an envelope with $10,000. The man leaves after handing Tim a photo of a woman marked for death and her address. Soon the killer arrives believing Tim is the one who wants to hire him.… (more)

You are using the new servers! | About | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 109,112,178 books! | Top bar: Always visible