Dragon Spawn by Eileen Wilks

Dragon Spawn

by Eileen Wilks

Series: The World of the Lupi (13)

action (1) Cullen (1) demons (2) dragons (4) E (1) ebook (3) fantasy (11) fiction (4) have read (1) hell (1) imported (1) Kindle (2) lily (1) Lupi (2) magic (2) paranormal romance (3) pb (2) read (3) read in 2016 (2) romance (2) rule (1) science fiction (1) shapeshifters (3) shifters (1) to-read (2) ub52 (1) unread (1) urban (2) urban fantasy (4) werewolves (2)

Was rolling along and enjoying and then bam! The end of the book and things are left hanging, until the next book. Which you do get a preview of at the end, but dude! ( )
  pnwbookgirl | Mar 19, 2017 |
Sam, the great Black Dragon, is finally willing to release some secrets about the Sorcerer Tom Weng and the dragon’s shameful secret

When the missiles start landing

The nature of the dragonspawn become a less pressing problem as Sam is attacked, nuclear weapons start flying and Lupi children start disappearing

The war with the Enemy is finally coming.

Hmmmm… hmmmmm

Hmmmmm…

This is kind of what I’ve been doing and why I’ve just spent several several hours trying to start this review and then stopping because I’m not sure how to address this

There’s a lot I love here

I love that we’re back to that core battle – the battle against the enemy. We’re focused again on Lily and Rule. We’re involving the dragons and Lily’s friends and Cullen et al. It’s back to the main meta and the main plot

We continue to have the excellent world building – the wonderful development of things like the dragon’s culture and knowledge and world and unique biology. I love the excellent, detailed insight we got into even relatively minor players like the Gnomes – creating an impressive, involved culture and tradition and language system for being that have so little role but still get a full accounting and development.

We continue to have excellent commentary on politics and history and culture with some excellent moments like the politics of the FBI and law enforcement

All of it through the lens of Lilly who continues to be awesome and intelligent and insightful and so wonderfully competent.

We also have a lot of racial diversity. Lily is an Asian woman, the awesome Madame Yu is back in the picture. We have Black, Native American (including Benedict, a prominent character) and Latino characters in the police force, in the lupi packs, in every group that plays a role in the series. Racial diversity has always been more of a norm in this series than an exception – wherever we have a depiction of a large group of people there will be a racial cross section among them. And Lily with Gan, Cynna and her grandmother does not move in an all male setting or surrounding.

In terms of LGBTQ people… well if you know from previous books then we have some because we know Madame Yu is in a same-sex relationship – but it isn’t mentioned at all in this book, there are no other LGBTQ characters and some homophobia and transphobia included: including by Cullen ironically (or not) in a scene where he is calling out racism and anti-religious hatred. Well done for fighting bigotry – but by encouraging and supporting other bigotry? Yeah, thanks for that

Read More ( )
  FangsfortheFantasy | Feb 20, 2017 |
Lily and Rule are back on the West Coast and hoping their last encounter with the Great Bitch foiled her plans for a while. Rule has to deal with a Challenge (to the death) for his rule of the Leidolf clan. But the challenge is interrupted when Sam summons them to tell them that their enemy Tom Weng was not killed as they thought.

Sam also shares some information about dragons that is a closely held secret. Baby dragons have to be given the first syllable of their names through mind magic when they are born or they will be forever unable to use mind magic. The last time this happened the dragons grew up to be sociopaths but dragons are really reluctant to kill their children and decided to give them human forms. Tom Weng is one of those dragon spawn.

Since Tom Weng has allied himself with the Great Bitch in her plans to take over the Earth, the dragons have decided to act. Before they can do anything, the Great Bitch through her puppets on Earth shoots a missile at Sam's cave, bombs the FBI building in DC, and detonates a nuclear device which kills a Chinese dragon.

Amid the resulting chaos, Rule's ten-year-old son Toby, Cynna and Cullen's nine-month-old daughter Ryder and three other lupi children are kidnapped by Tom Weng and taken to Dis, the demon world. Rule, Lily, and various allies need to mount a rescue mission to Dis to recover the children.

This book was action-packed and filled with tension and battles. It also ends on a major cliffhanger which makes me want to read the next book in this series RIGHT NOW! ( )
  kmartin802 | Jan 3, 2017 |
This review is based on an eARC I received from NetGalley. It is an honest and voluntary review and the advanced receipt of it in no way affected my review or rating.

Action-packed supernatural story with lively writing and fantastic world building! There is a plethora of supernatural creatures in this novel my favorite being dragons. The written descriptions of the dragons are just beautiful. I also like the inclusion of gnomes and brownies in the story. I enjoy it when there are supernatural characters that are outside the norm. There is also a portion of the story that takes place in Dis which is the hell realm and wow on the demons in this story!

There are two different storylines going on in this novel which is a bit confusing. In one Rule (yes the MC’s name) as Leidolf Rho (think alpha wolf) and has been challenged by a high dominant (think wolf who cannot submit to the alpha) lupus for the mantle and in the other you have Tom Weng bent on destruction using the most un-imaginable ways and unfortunately he has back up this go-round. One storyline is barely touched and the other is left on such a cliffhanger that I felt that the story was not left on a cliff but that the cliff was shorn off and the other half of the story was taken with it.

Some books you can pick right up despite it being in a series and others you cannot. I would have been better off if I had already been familiar with the series. I did feel a bit lost especially with the terminology in the beginning but as the story went on I was able to figure it all out. I felt that all the characters were well developed and rock solid. Also, who cannot love a story where a Grandma is included?? The pacing was decent in the beginning turned slow-moving in the middle but then picked back up and zoomed until the end. I recommend this story to fans of this series and dragon lovers everywhere. Also, based upon this book I would recommend this series to fans of the supernatural.

*Thank you to Berkley Publishing Group & NetGalley for this eARC of Dragon Spawn* ( )
  TheGenreMinx | Nov 30, 2016 |

Eileen Wilksprimary authorall editionscalculated
Anderson, KatieCover designersecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed
Mauro, TonyCover artistsecondary authorsome editionsconfirmed

Amazon.com Product Description (ISBN 0451488032, Mass Market Paperback)

The New York Times bestselling author of Mind Magic returns as FBI agent Lily Yu gets some very bad news…

Lily learns she was right. Tom Weng—a powerful sorcerer allied with the Old One who keeps trying to take over the world—is still alive. But that's not the worst. Weng is a dragon spawn, the product of a botched hatching given a human form in an attempt to keep him from going mad. A failed attempt.

Meanwhile, Lily’s husband Rule is facing a Challenge to the death. Then there’s the possible reappearance of another sorcerer. But none of that matters when their enemy strikes out of nowhere in the worst way possible. Lily must face a nightmare and return to a place she never wanted to see again. The place where she died…

(retrieved from Amazon Sat, 25 Jun 2016 05:39:29 -0400)

About | Contact | Privacy/Terms | Help/FAQs | Blog | Store | APIs | TinyCat | Legacy Libraries | Early Reviewers | Common Knowledge | 119,459,185 books! | Top bar: Always visible